Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
PrincessCasey

Default The Elder Scrolls - Arena, Crashes all the time?

Hello everyone.

I'm very interested in playing the first Elder Scrolls game. I know how to use dosbox and I have got it running but I've not yet been able to dig deeply into it because I've had people on the internet tell me that it's really unstable and crashes all the time. I should know by now not to listen to random yahoo's on the internet but you know how it is sometimes they can really stimulate your paranoia!

So I was wondering if anyone has played all the way through Arena using dosbox and if so if they had found the game crashed quite a lot and maybe you could offer me some advice to try and minimise that? I have wondered if the crashes that people are referring to were because they were trying to run it on the hardware they had back in the day and the relative super computing of a modern computer may help to alleviate this. Or maybe there's some super secret commands (aka commands I'm ignorant of) that you can put into dosbox to make the game run better?

Many thanks!
Old 30-11-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I know nothing about secret commands, but Arena was quite stable for me on real hardware, and Daggerfall was only slightly less stable in DOSBox (but I believe, it's Daggerfall fault, not DOSBox). So I think, it's safe to guess that Arena will work good in DOSBox too.
Old 30-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
yoga
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Talking Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCasey View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm very interested in playing the first Elder Scrolls game. I know how to use dosbox and I have got it running but I've not yet been able to dig deeply into it because I've had people on the internet tell me that it's really unstable and crashes all the time. I should know by now not to listen to random yahoo's on the internet but you know how it is sometimes they can really stimulate your paranoia!

So I was wondering if anyone has played all the way through Arena using dosbox and if so if they had found the game crashed quite a lot and maybe you could offer me some advice to try and minimise that? I have wondered if the crashes that people are referring to were because they were trying to run it on the hardware they had back in the day and the relative super computing of a modern computer may help to alleviate this. Or maybe there's some super secret commands (aka commands I'm ignorant of) that you can put into dosbox to make the game run better?

Many thanks!
Hi,
I played the games Arena and Daggerfall before 4 years.
These nice RPG were very stable and i had no any problem, even my PC
configuration was not brilliant.
Secret commands?
No idea and not used.

..I played all 5 games of Bethesda Games.
For me Arena is the best,
Skyrim is the worst
(no mod used with Skyrim even my friend Capo adviced me).
Mate,
do Your best to run Arena, believe me.
Do not give up!
Old 30-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
PrincessCasey

Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

I think all I can do is give it a go and just wait and see

I often wonder though about the general stability of dosbox vs original hardware. I can imagine that it's actually a lot more stable now that I've had a long think about it as programming has really come on so much over the years and these open source programmers are so amazingly talented!