Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: which of these moder authors fo you think will become mandotory reading at a school level in 2050
phillip k dick 2 8.33%
douglas adams 2 8.33%
terry pratchett 4 16.67%
william gibson 1 4.17%
jr tolkien 9 37.50%
lol - jk rowling 1 4.17%
robert rankin 0 0%
frank herbert 1 4.17%
clive barker 0 0%
steven king 1 4.17%
hunter s thompson 1 4.17%
other - please specify 1 4.17%
i hate books. you all smell. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #41
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Sproutlord? You mean as in "Lord of the Sprouts", "to Brussels, where the shadows lie" and that sort of thing?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 25-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #42
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by lethe+Jul 24 2005, 01:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lethe @ Jul 24 2005, 01:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sebatianos@Jul 24 2005, 11:40 AM
What about people like Saramagio and Choello? They aren't half as popular, but are excelent writers (they don't write about same kiddy stuff either - they are real social critics, like Camus, Prouste, Sartre...)
k:

If I was responsible for those choices, I'd introduce Sartre, Kafka, Camus, Kierkegaard and so on... [/b][/quote]
Well, Sartre and Kafka are actually studied before university, at least here in Italy!

About the poll, i voted for Tolkien, that will be studied for sure... in the list shold be put even Bradbury!

@ Sebastianos: Choelo IS famous! But i don't think he's so good to be passed on... :whistle:
Old 25-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #43
omg
Games Master

as far as im aware they arnt here. funnily enuff in england the emphasis is on english litriture :whistle: we tend to ignore the rest of the world untill university :whistle:
although if you are studying a forighn language then they tend to introdue you to that languages masterworks, but at the school/college level for example at school if doing french they encorage you to do asterix and tintin not descartes.

edit: if you are studying philosphy then you would be introduced to the authors you mention, but not untill university.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 25-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #44
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

TBH I'd rather read Asterix than Descartes (particularly if it was in French, but that's due to the limited nature of my Frecnh ability rather than the content...). Though I did study some of Decartes' ideas about the nature of the universe and so on - for instance I know he wasn't an atomist (forget the other name) and had some interesting ideas about the motions of comets being caused by whirlpooly things in the aether.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 26-07-2005, 06:54 AM   #45
Lonely Vazdru
Super Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@Jul 25 2005, 11:05 PM
TBH I'd rather read Asterix than Descartes (particularly if it was in French, but that's due to the limited nature of my Frecnh ability rather than the content...).
Well, if it can make you feel better, i'm french, i've studied literature for four years at the university, and i totally agree with you.
Lonely Vazdru is offline                         Send a private message to Lonely Vazdru
Old 26-07-2005, 07:21 AM   #46
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Well, if you want to study Descartes without having to bother reading the texts in French, the ideal subject for you would be Maths and Philosophy. A friend of mine does that, but she was rather fed up with Descartes after her first year - they had hardly been doing anything else...

Still no vote for the LotS. What a shame.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 26-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #47
omg
Games Master

this one is for you aj

maybe someone will vote for rankin. would be cool. armegeddon the musical has some quite heavy ideas like the earth being a tv show for ultra advanced aliens but jesus's sister is trying to mess with the plot behind the scenes becuse she got written out. and the aliens bring back elvis to try and boost the ratings. its proper wierd.
oh yeah and the dali llma is the antichrist! (as who would suspect him)
Old 26-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #48
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I knew it! Sprouts are evil.
Old 26-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #49
omg
Games Master

fear the sprout!!
no one voted for barker either. but then again maybe his stuff is a little to sexual. however by the year 2050 maybe people will have relaxed a bit. rankin must be to evil to ever become required reading. my reosen. he has a sprout as a HERO!!

i wonder if in the future people will look at king in the same light as edgar allen poe. a scary thought.