Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: which of these moder authors fo you think will become mandotory reading at a school level in 2050
phillip k dick 2 8.33%
douglas adams 2 8.33%
terry pratchett 4 16.67%
william gibson 1 4.17%
jr tolkien 9 37.50%
lol - jk rowling 1 4.17%
robert rankin 0 0%
frank herbert 1 4.17%
clive barker 0 0%
steven king 1 4.17%
hunter s thompson 1 4.17%
other - please specify 1 4.17%
i hate books. you all smell. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
omg
Games Master

Thumbs up

ok which of these writers do you think deserves this term. i know already tolkien is studyed at a university level. i mean at a lower level than that. sci fi can become litriture, just look at hg wells. the reosen im going for phillip k dick is becuse his writing can be taken on multiple levels as sci fi sure but also as an anaylis of the subculture of his times. they already teach about drugs in schools. i think however you can learn more about junkies from a scanner darkly than you can any amount of goverment pamphlets. that book reminds me of people i used to know. it would rock if they taught him in school. i would prefer my kids to read his stuff than shakespear purely becuse what dick wrote is still relevent to today.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 24-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I may be wrong here, but I think it's highly unlikely that any of those authors will make it to the mandatory reading lists. Or were you asking which of them deserves to be added?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 24-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
omg
Games Master

blue deomen says we all smell
LOL yeah probably should have said deserved. but then when hg wells was first being published would anyone have said he was writing litriture?
even tolkien had difficulty in getting published.
and i bet shakespear was dissed at the time he was about. probably people dissed dickens becuse he was always writing about poor people..
prediction is a funny game. social attitudes change so rapidly. i think at least one of the names from that list could well be required reading by 2050.
if you dont think any of them are going to become lit, which modern author do you think will become lit in the future a.j?
Old 24-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
swiss
who's not Swiss

hi there,

I think Douglas Adams deserves it to be read in school!

He is to very very cool socio-critic and the English humour is marvellous ! (I read all(!) of his books).
Hey why not start a vote if Douglas should be read in school ?

If we have 20000 "Yes" votes we send it to the minister of education .. :w00t:

Cheers,

swiss
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 24-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Some already are (Tolkien, Rowling and Adams). At least at the university level - which means that sooner or later they will be in the school curiculum.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 24-07-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
omg
Games Master

people study rowling at university!! noooooooooooo
Old 24-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well it is a current world-wide phenomena. It's a good example of how people like stories that are based upon imaginary and magic characters - and to try and understand the reason why people like such characters and plots. I mean - this will probably become a classic, just like Dallas or Dynasty. Nobody watches those to soaps anymore, but they were a milestone in brainwashing a huge population.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 24-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #8
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
prefer my kids to read his stuff than shakespear purely becuse what dick wrote is still relevent to today.
What makes you think Shakespeare isn't relevant today? He wrote about love, passion, murder, guilt, death, general human suffering and so on - plenty of that still about.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 24-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

(Just for the record, I didn't actually vote until now, so I'm not the one who thinks you all smell. )

The authors that are going to be famous fifty years from now will most likely not be the ones we would expect. Just look at the list of people who won a Nobel Prize for literature a couple of decades ago. Most of them are completely obscure by now, but evidently people used to think those were the great writers of their time.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 24-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
Xikarita
Abandonia nerd

My money's on JRR Tolkien, some schools already have him as a mandatory author.