Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #21
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Don't go away omg!!

If you really want to leave us... you could do your best to be banned... :twisted:

Seriously: stay, we will have multi-topics and unpermitted-topics anymore... sure they'll be closed, but not quickly enough as they cuold want... :whistle:
Old 05-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #22
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You're not really leaving just because of this silly business, omg, are you?
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 05-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #23
omg
Games Master

thing is it is like evry time i get into a topic it gets closed. when the gay marriges thread got closed for example i was very annoyed becuse i had woke up remebering which pheremones effect on brain activity study to quote to put reamus lq in his place. it is a recent study from a reputable university and would have shut up once and for all the homophobes who were saying that being gay is there choice and they should get treatment for it. for real though it is a very conclusive study.
also there are report buttons.
its like when a thread on a topic gets closed whats the point in opening another?
i think its just the general assumption it will get closed again.
and on the subject of the conspiracys threads putting all conspiracys in one thread is pointless. each subject deserves its own thread. in one place it would quickly become unweildy. they wernt breeding like flys, they were just slowly spinning out.
also i noticed if we are playing a game and it gets above a certain size it gets closed.
rather than shutting down a thread becuse of flame why not just delete the flame?
regulation of online communitys is need for shure becuse without it kids use it as a naughty language playground, but over regulation is not a good thing at all.
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 05-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #24
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Seriously, omg is right. You mods have the delete button on everyone's posts and you might as well do you bloody jobs and use them, instead of just casually closing down topics.

Don't go omg, or there will be very, very little sense left here.

Look at the 'games you want to see on Abandonia' topic. That's bloody huge and a lot of it is useless - nobody cares any more.

Is there some kind of 'if it gets to over 20 pages, don't close it' rule or something?
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 05-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #25
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

No offence, Prejudice, but I don't think you're aware of just how much work being a mod involves. It's not like you can go about "doing your bloody job" just by casually deleting posts, or you'll very quickly have your inbox flooded with angry PMs by the people whose posts you deleted.
As for the 'games you want to see on Abandonia' topic, there are probably two reasons why it's still there: it's supposed to be the official request thread (but most people don't bother to read sticky topics, because they think it's just boring forum rules anyway), and it's far too long by now to be cleared up properly. Reading through it and getting rid of the posts which don't belong there would probably take something like two hours, probably more. The 'jokes' thread is even worse. You'd get homicidal before you had got halfway through it.
I've done that sort of thing myself at the Mordor forums (which are much smaller than these forums); it took me about three days - or something between 15 and 20 hours - to clear up the off-topic forum, simply because people had taken the 'off-topic' bit as an invitation for being as irrelevant and spammy as they liked. :ranting: Trust me it's not an easy job, and people only ever take notice if you make a mistake; in fact, topics are very rarely closed down "casually" and at the spur of the moment. Modding is about making decisions - sometimes at the risk of those decisions turning out to have been wrong - because if you wait for too long, there'll be even more of a mess to clean up.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 05-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I think that some extra moderators would be in order. If that would be a possibility, I'd love to offer my help in keeping peace around the Requests part.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #27
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Jul 5 2005, 04:04 PM
No offence, Prejudice, but I don't think you're aware of just how much work being a mod involves. It's not like you can go about "doing your bloody job" just by casually deleting posts, or you'll very quickly have your inbox flooded with angry PMs by the people whose posts you deleted.
Never happened to me (seriously I've never got a single PM from anybody who I used my mod powers on). But that's probably becuase I usually give reasons for my actions and most of my victims are guests who can't send PMs (and get the hint when they find their posts have been deleted).

EDIT: And I've jsut started my sumer holidays, so I have far to much time on my hands and no work to do so I'd like nothing better than to give even more of my time to helping the admins maintain order
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 05-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #28
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Lucky you, then.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #29
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

OK, sorry...
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 05-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #30
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

And as a nice rule, we don't delete ANY posts on this forum. We move them to the dustbin, and you HAVE to be an admin to do this.

Why do we do it like this?
Well, over the course of time, plenty of people have made flaming posts, trolling posts, spam posts, *meep* you posts and worse, and when these get deleted, the offender complains to some other admin, or makes a fuzz in the shoutbox and/or 3xBlah saying "Why have I been punished? I can't see any post made by me that were even slightly offensive in any way."

(And yes, that is an actual quote, and he who wrote that knows it himself. It was NOT amuzing at all! :angry: )

So no post deletion. Basically, it makes more work for us. And we have to lock down a topic in order to get the peace needed to move the offending posts.