Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
The Occupant

Thumbs up

:bye: hi everybody,i am dedicating this topic to true storys of how you aquired your software. What bargin bins you scowered, what 2nd hand stores you searched. tell of tales of discovery ,in places you least expected, you found that jewel of a game you ALWAYS wanted, tell tales of woe of how you found a jewel but it was incompatibul with your computer, tell of floppies hoarded, then found to be corrupted when you needed them most
abandonware sites don't count, this is about the software found in boxes and jewel cases.
The Occupant is offline                         Send a private message to The Occupant
Old 19-05-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ebay! Just browse thorugh the games for sale and check if they're any good on MobyGames.com. Then buy them for € 2 each :P
Not very heoric I must admit, but a genuine treasure trove nonetheless k:

I did get Duke Nukem "Manhattan Project" for € 2,50 from some bargain bin for € 2,50 but this was also a gamble since I didn't knwo the game. Turned out pretty well :P
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 19-05-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
omg
Games Master

the other day i got for 10 pounds from my local game store (as in the shop game)
deus x 1
american mgess alice
and eve!!

as for my second hand reconnasince theres a shop in yarmouth, for 2:99 i got a second hand copy of spellcross!!! the gr8st turn based strategy e v e r
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 19-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

About more than a year after I bought my first copy of Star Trek Birth of the Federation, due to excessive usage the cd got damaged! My first cd that I actualy damaged due to usage since my first cd game in 1994!! Anyway, I was devastated since it was my favourite space strategy game. I couldn't find it anywhere else at the time. I was in a small(-ish) greek town where I was working as a sales manager for a few months and it was late evening (like 1900 or something) and went to the town centre for a break from work. There I located in a corner shop some games' boxes, to be exact the door was open (it was something like a bookshop) and with the corner of my eye I saw the boxes inside. I went inside the shop (which should be closed for hours by now) and for some strange reason they had some boxes on the floor basicaly. I saw them, asked the girl in if they had more, and said yes, upstairs. I went upstairs and on a wooden table they had about 10 boxes of older games, and one of them was BOTF in the collection with Klingon honour guard and armada I think, I couldn't believe my luck! So of courseI bought it (I had money at the time) and I treasure it since then. I even managed to make a copy with a special program so that I save the cd from any fate like its predecessor. :-)
That was in 2000.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 19-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

About spellcross, the developers released a patch to fix the compatibility problem with some XP systems years after the release of the game. The game is actualy DOS you know. What a great bunch of guys!!! Cauldron I believe.
I have the game and it is indeed a great great turn based strategy game with a very unique idea for game that unfortunately has no other like it yet.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 19-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
omg
Games Master

yeah you need the patch though, but funnily enuff its not an install patch ...
to get it working i had to create an image o the cd, install it via deomen tools, then replace the exe with the patch exe, then run it via vdm sound!!

well worth it though! die orcs!!!!
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 19-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #7
Strobe
Home Sweet Abandonia

during my holidays in new york city last fall, i was roaming downtown with a good friend
of mine. we had a little discussion about what game genres we're into. i told him,
that i love good horror games. half an hour later, we went into a computer store.
i browsed the shelves for a nice offer, when suddently my friend showed me a
horror game collection containing "undying", "american mc gee's alice" and several
nice other games! i asked the shop assistant for the price: $20 !! actually, i was
willing to pay 20 bucks only to get "undying" - but for the whole collection? i felt deeply
pleased, throwed the money on the desk and walked out the store with a biiiig
smile on my face... i'd never expected such lucky discovery - and such a cheap one
Strobe is offline                         Send a private message to Strobe
Old 19-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Don Andy
Game Wizzard

I usually just walk through the store and buy whatever I can afford and what looks good to me.

I bought mainly crap this way

And I bought Resident Evil 4 just because I wanted to buy a game 18+
Well, I'm usually low on money anyway ^^
Don Andy is offline                         Send a private message to Don Andy
Old 20-05-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I remember,when i was 12,i bought a new game every week.
I got starcraft,ceasar III,diablo....
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 20-05-2005, 08:40 PM   #10
The Occupant

:whistle: he, he..what i ment was,(though some of the games mentioned do apply) i ment games that would USULLY be found on abandonware sites. btw e-bay isn't heroic, UNLESS you got some tale of a CAGE-MATCH-BIDDING WAR TO THE DEATH! :Titan: he he! lolmay the tales continue!
The Occupant is offline                         Send a private message to The Occupant