Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #71
WolverineDK
Game Wizzard

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GameBringer @ Jul 21 2006, 09:13 PM) [snapback]244380[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi all... I do not want to restart a war in this thread, but at least let me say I'm sorry that my review was not up to par. However, if one reviews Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Seige, one reviews the game that it is, and not all the modules that CAN be or HAVE been made for it.

This is a GAME site, not a tool site, so I reviewed the game part of FRUA only. When I was trapsing around the town with my "party" of only two characters - I had no idea I needed 10 to 20 folks - and I ran into a 20 Ogres, Hill Giants, etc. all high levels - when I had just started the game it didn't seem like fun to me!

As I've said, my review can be replaced and it won't hurt my feelings. I'm just trying to contribute to the site and be a team player like many of the others. Hope you can cut me some slack here and there!

[/b]

GameBringer, I think I have said my thoughts here, and other people too.
WolverineDK is offline                         Send a private message to WolverineDK
Old 21-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #72
SailorCallie
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to SailorCallie Send a message via Skype™ to SailorCallie
Cool

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GameBringer @ Jul 21 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]244380[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi all... I do not want to restart a war in this thread, but at least let me say I'm sorry that my review was not up to par. However, if one reviews Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Seige, one reviews the game that it is, and not all the modules that CAN be or HAVE been made for it.

This is a GAME site, not a tool site, so I reviewed the game part of FRUA only. When I was trapsing around the town with my "party" of only two characters - I had no idea I needed 10 to 20 folks - and I ran into a 20 Ogres, Hill Giants, etc. all high levels - when I had just started the game it didn't seem like fun to me!

As I've said, my review can be replaced and it won't hurt my feelings. I'm just trying to contribute to the site and be a team player like many of the others. Hope you can cut me some slack here and there!

[/b]
Hey, GameBringer, you did a wonderful job with your review of FRUA. I've decided to d/l it, and I'm having a blast.
SailorCallie is offline                         Send a private message to SailorCallie
Old 22-07-2006, 04:53 AM   #73

Quote:

This is a GAME site, not a tool site, so I reviewed the game part of FRUA only.[/b]
Well, FRUA is a game-making tool, not a game. So you can't just rate the example game supplied with it. It's like saying that "Abandonia is a bad site because there isn't enough fan art. I've heard they have lots of game reviews, but didn't check it out."

Old 23-07-2006, 01:41 AM   #74

Just curious, are there any hacks to make Buck Rogers or Dragonlance modules?

Old 23-07-2006, 04:14 AM   #75

As far as I know, it is possible to make such modules.

Old 23-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #76

Any Gold Box game is pretty much made with a party of 6 in mind. Anything less, and you're just asking for a challenge. An experienced player could probably get away with 4 or 5 but anything less is probably too difficult. Usually I make a party consisting of all humans: a paladin, ranger, cleric, two magic-users, and maybe a thief or fighter thrown in depending on my mood. I've often gone with just 5 since I can survive with my core party and gain more experience, but magic-users, fighters, and thieves are good for dual classing. If you're willing to invest the time to level them up, a 39 lvl fighter dual classed to a 40 level magic-user is awesome (or 39 lvl magic-user dual classed to a 40 level fighter.

Old 23-07-2006, 05:49 PM   #77
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

GameBringer, consider the slack given, but there's no need to defend your review. I think there are enough valid arguments against it and we understand the circumstances surrounding it. Don't worry about defending it. You might bring up more things to argue about... Such as Neverwinter Nights, which would have gotten terrible ratings and would have never sold half as well as it did (and had none of the numerous expansions) if it didn't have such a powerful scenario editor.

Others have offered analogues to the situation with your review, and I offer this different one:
Imagine a review of a game like ReVolt (full game with added on editor) that only focused on the editor and dismissed the rest of the game. The editor was not designed to get people to buy the game just for that. Is it fair to the game and the gamers if the game got a rating based only on a throwaway part of the game (as Heirs to Skull Crag could possibly be seen)?

Your definition of a '"game" is rather narrow. From what I know, any activity that is done for enjoyment can be considered a game. The editor is definitely a valid and integral part of the "game" FRUA. I personally enjoy making my own modules.

And the battle with giants and ogres at the beginning of the game is no mistake. You are meant to defeat them with no big trouble since you start with level 6 and 7 characters (with magical items). A party of four with well-planned characters could do this easily. In fact, this battle is the beginning of the plotline. If you really want to use two characters, though, at least make them rangers (bonus vs. giants) or gain a couple levels first.
Old 26-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #78
Mongi

Ahh... Gamebringer, my hat is off to you now, this review is much - MUCH better. I still don't quite understand though, why it's a 2? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Old 26-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #79
SenorOcho

Quick note on the new review -

In the rest menu there is a command "Fix", which automatically casts healing spells, Lay on Hands, etc to heal the party.
SenorOcho is offline                         Send a private message to SenorOcho
Old 26-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #80
GrimFang4
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to GrimFang4

Ahh, yes. "Fix". I knew I'd miss something important. I wrote this new review, so I guess I should minimize confusion by asking Kosta to credit me with it. I'm glad you guys like it.