Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Xcommer

Hi,
I've tried to play Xcom, but I can't.

First I tried the windowsversion I downloaded from this site. There are three files in it that are executable in some whay. Two with a little sun-like icon, and one face-like icon. The first two don't work, I get an memory error when I open the ufofixed file, but it's very likely I don't even have to open them, but don't realise that. The other files opens, starts up the game, but with part of the window out of my screen. I read that could be a problem concerning scaling-options of the graphic card, so I went to my ATI controlcenter, but did not find any options about ratio or scaling.

So I tried dosBox. I installed it, like discribed, tried to mount a C: drive, wich first failed as I did not use a map right on my real C: drive. (mount C C:\my documents\ blablabla ...\dosgames does not work. I had to use mount C C:\dosgames for it to work) I worked my way around that, downloaded the dos version, and followed the rest of the instructions. I can now easely, in dosbox, find my way to the xcom folder, located in dosgames, yet, I don't get the game started.
What exactly do I have to do now? There are multiple executable files, yet some, like setup.exe, only give the response that Z: is my virtual drive, en C: my C-drive. Install only says that the game is installed, but still, don't let me get it started up. In the folder runexe, is a file called run.exe, but after opening that, it gives me the error that dos4gw.exe does not exist, while that file is placed in the folder above, xcom.

I've tried placing that file in the same folder, and the run-file in the xcom folder, but nothing works.

Can someone please help me solve this?
Thanks in advance

Old 22-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
mount C C:\my documents\ blablabla ...\dosgames does not work. I had to use mount C C:\dosgames for it to work[/b]
Normal. As far as I know, DosBox does not tolerate spaces in paths.

Second, the executable to run the game is located in the main directory.
Enter it and run the following three commands:
Dir *.exe
Dir *.com
Dir *.bat

For the long term, I suggest you get Norton Commander file manager. It helps a real lot with file management in DosBox.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

It is more than likely that the file you need to run to start the game is a .bat file. If there is no .bat file, look for a .exe or .com file with an obvious name. Like ufo.exe for example. Or start.bat, etc.
Old 22-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
xcommer

thanks everybody for the help so far.
I think I have installed the game, finaly, but that doens't solve much.
I have installed it in a folder, and dosbox changes automaticly, after the installing, to that folder, and asks to type cdsetup and then my cd rom drive letter. What I did. And then, nothing happens. Nothing at all.
There are other files, namingly:
cdsetup.bat, but that does nothing, like previous stated
dos4gw.exe, does also nothing
intro.exe, more nothingness
and setup.exe, but that also gives nothing
oh, and ufocd.bat, but neither does that a thing.
I really don't get it how other people can get the game working.

Old 22-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Data
retired

spaces are allowed in mount
as long as you put quotes around the directory
mount c "c:\somedir\somedir with spaces\dosgames"

Did you mount a C and a D drive (and the D drive as cdrom ?)
Old 22-01-2007, 07:24 PM   #6

Yes. I mounted C:\dos\CDrive as the C drive, but I had some trouble with the D drive. Do you need your real cdrom drive? That's F with me, so I mounted F:\ as my D cdrom drive. If I use a subfolder, dosbox warns me that that only has limited functionality.

Old 22-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Data
retired

did you add stuff like
-t cdrom and -ioctl ?

that it's F doesn't matter
Old 22-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #8

-t cdrom, like the tutorial.
I did everything like the tutorial. But it still doens't work, that's what I find strange.

Old 22-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I've downloaded the DOS game from this site page and tryied to make it work. At first, I was stumped by a strange problem I never seen (the game just jump to the geoscape to the intro and back again), until I setted the sound with setup.exe (use soundblaster, all the default settings are already given to you) and started the game with UFOCD.bat.

The game is already fully installed in the archive, you don't have to install it again. I don't even think you could if you tryied anyways. All you need to do is unzip the archive, set the sound, start ufocd.bat and tweak a little with the cycles.
Old 23-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
xcommer

Aaah, I think I have it!
I always extracted it in a subfolder of C:\dos\Cdrive (my C drive in dosbox), but now I just intall it in that C drive, and now the setup works, so I assume it is solved.

Installing is possible by typing install C:\blablabla\folder where you want it installed, but is indeed not necessary. Even more, it doens't work if you do it like that. (The subfolder problem)

Thanks for the help and advice!