Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Default Abandonia needs YOU!

Last few weeks have been pretty turbulent for all of us, but in the wake of everything that happened one thing became quite obvious - over last year or two, more staff have lost interest in the site than have joined. We need moderators, we need updaters... and simply people to help with a dozen tiny yet important tasks.

It's been a long-standing custom that apart from offering staff membership to promising active members, the staff also accepts volunteers.

If you wish to join us and help with expanding Abandonia, you can file your application in the Recruitment Office.

PS. Due to certain incidents that happened in the past any volunteers will start small, with their access clearance and powers increased once they've sufficiently proven themselves.
Don't take offence for that, we're simply trying to avoid any possible incidents where someone accidentally wipes out half the archives from the server.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 16-01-2009 at 04:41 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Inkubus
Lurker

Sorry, where is the application form located? I didn't see one, though I may be overlooking it completely.
Inkubus is offline                         Send a private message to Inkubus
Old 19-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

There's no application as such, just a 'Recruitment Office' sub-forum. Just post a thread there saying what you want to apply for.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 19-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Panthro
Man of Science

perhaps it would be wise to start topics based on what sort of jobs you require, and then people can apply via that?

I have no idea if I have the ability or time to do anything, and wouldn't be able to tell you unless we get a few more details about what exactly is expected of future Abandonia employees!
Panthro is offline                         Send a private message to Panthro
Old 19-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Right now we're primarily looking for forum moderators, updaters and proofreaders.
Basically anyone willing to help and able to regularly spend some time on doing so is welcome.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

why do you need mods=S i thought there's enough
Old 19-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Spoonman
Flyswatter

Well, I might very well have enough time left for some proofreading, although I do not know the specifics of that function
Old 19-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
why do you need mods=S i thought there's enough
There can't be too many mods. Reason is, redundancy decreases reaction time etc. and needn't have any ill efects. It's not that more mods will increase moderating action, instead it would just decrease the workload for each one. If one goes AWOL, no problem.
Old 19-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
red_avatar
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japofran View Post
There can't be too many mods. Reason is, redundancy decreases reaction time etc. and needn't have any ill efects. It's not that more mods will increase moderating action, instead it would just decrease the workload for each one. If one goes AWOL, no problem.
From personal experience, I've noticed that if theres too many mods, the risk of mod wars increase drastically - I've seen forums fall apart because mods couldn't agree on a ruling (especially if a friend was the 'victim' of a mod action) so there are downsides . I needn't mention some of the recent problems that Abandonia had to deal with.

Also, it's common for people to start slacking off when they think they're not really needed. When you think "there's enough mods anyway so I don't need to check up on the site every day" it may have a cascading effect where every mod starts to feel like that. I've seen this happening on many forums as well.

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 19-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
From personal experience, I've noticed that if theres too many mods, the risk of mod wars increase drastically
True, I said "needn't have any ill efects", not "won't have any ill efects". Anyway it's possible for many to live in harmony, and I have (current) experience from a forum with _dozens_ of _global_ mods (really). Many are inactive, then someone who's been off for months reappears... The workload doesn't pile up. The first requirement is not appointing people who look like they might possibly be problematic, and the second is oversight for the problematic cases that may arise none the less (which are rare in my experience if the first requirement is met). For the second requirement we have forum admins. :P