Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

OK. Since a few weeks I got the problem that my installation of Alcohol 120% completely refuses to do ANYTHING Anymore.
While It DID work splendid for months beforehand.

So, this might be caused by an eternal bug. I don't care, THIS program needs to work OR go!

What Have I tried?
- Running the program from the start menu link
- Running the program directly from the "Program Files" Directory
- Running the Command line program from above directory's.
- De-installing using the Start menu link. (there isn't a version of this in windows ContolPanel\Software section)
- Installing from the Original install file location.
- De-installing from the Original install file location.

All these options resulted in the processes stalling and being unresponsive, that is IF they showed up in the first place.

All I care about is that I either get FULL control over this again OR remove it entirely from my system. (which seems to be impossible from my current viewpoint)

Can anyone help?

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 20-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

you can use registry cleaner to remove it entirely from your system
or manualy, open up regedit.exe and search for keys containing string letter "alcohol", then after browsing thorugh the found keys tell for yourself if it was the alcohol you was looking for or some kind of other "alcohol" in your pc
Old 20-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Well, I'm not to fond of tweaking the registry manually. (although I've been in there a lot for the 'learning' experience around my win9x period)
But since this prog isn't giving me anything to cling on to to DO anything, this registry tweak MIGHT work out.

I wonder how much space a RegistryBackup will use up. (hope not TOO much)

Old 20-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

i am making a list of alcohol stuff i have in the registry, you can wait a bit if you wish.
btw backup takes a lot

edit: here s the list

well basicaly, you just press ctrl f and search for any keys, strings or datas containing "alcohol", then you can check it here

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AlcoholAutoPlayV2
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AlcoholImageFile
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AXShlEx.AlcoholShellEx

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{32020A01-506E-484D-A2A8-BE3CF17601C3} (i dont know if this number differs in each computer or its same everywhere, you will have to search for "alcohol" in CLSID for yoruself)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandler s\AlcoholShellEx

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{00C724A3-E741-4CE7-B3E4-2FABB3FA2CBE} (same like the one in CLSID)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{DFFAEA82-07FA-4440-9A52-D54EB21C627F} (same..)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AlcoholAutoPla yV2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AlcoholImageFi le
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AXShlEx.Alcoho lShellEx

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{32020A0 1-506E-484D-A2A8-BE3CF17601C3} (that again..)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\shellex\ ContextMenuHandlers\AlcoholShellEx

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00C 724A3-E741-4CE7-B3E4-2FABB3FA2CBE} ( )

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{DFFAE A82-07FA-4440-9A52-D54EB21C627F} (banana)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\alcohol.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers \HandleCDBurningOnArrival ->string-> AlcoholAutoPlayV2.BurnDisc
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers \PlayCDAudioOnArrival ->string-> AlcoholAutoPlayV2.ReadDisc
there will be more like that, just keep searching for "alcohol"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved ->string-> {32020A01-506E-484D-A2A8-BE3CF17601C3} (might differ, you know, it has data "alcoholShellEx")

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Shell Extensions\Approved

then you might find keys like "\.cue\OpenWithList" or "\.iso\OpenWithList". its default programs which open the files with the extension, you can remove alcohol from the list of the programs too if you wish

HKEY_USERS\ <some big number> \Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%

HKEY_USERS\ <some big number> \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explore r\MenuOrder\Start Menu2\Programs\Alcohol 120%

Then, alcohol uses "StarWindService", so you will also break that one if its installed with alcohol.
in my registry its:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001, 002, 003 and CurrentControlSet \Services\StarWindService

so if you feel like it, make a cup of black tea with lemon and honey, turn on some music, backup your registry and search for "alcohol" (in your regedit..)
Old 20-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTX2GvO @ Aug 20 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]305685[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I wonder how much space a RegistryBackup will use up. (hope not TOO much)[/b]
No, about a few tens of MB.
Old 20-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

Well, First of all I made the Back Up and it's called ImInsaneBackup.reg and it's 'just' 112MB.

So now I'm going past ALL registry points you mentioned and remove them one by one.

After that I can 'safely' remove all files in the Program Files folder concerning Alcohol??

Old 20-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

that one in program files you can remove anytime.
btw, when searching for "alcohol" you will probably also find a value in a key named "uinstall menu" or something like that (i dont remember). i dont have it in my uinstall list for some odd reason. so .. just search for "alcohol" and only check it back here in my list if you are not sure

btw @japrofan: i d say thats kind of enough o_O
Old 20-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

RESULTS!!!! :brain: :brain:

I removed ALL Alcohol120% reg values and restarted my PC. (so changes may take effect)

But after the restart my 19!! Alcohol virtual drives where still cluttering My Computer. :blink:
So went back to the registry again and looked up the vendor value 'vp0254v' and removed all that wanted to.

They didn't move! :angry:

So for f*'s sake I went to the Program Files folder and to the program folder.
I ran the program for 1 final time.

IT RAN!!! :w00t:
Ok it was requesting registration values again, but I didn't cared anymore.

Went straight for the settings and removed those nagging unnecessary drives.

After that I closed Alcohol for the LAST time.
Went to the location where the original installer resided. Ran that and chose Uninstall Alcohol.

The only thing that still resides in the Program Files folder are some files I put there and some Logs that were created during the use of alcohol. (It can ALL go)

So that Chapter has been closed and all I would now need are Nero's Virtual Drives and the re-install of Deamon Tools.
Which leads me with 1 more question.

Can Deamon Tools run all regular and unregular cd image format's?? (like mds ccd cue etc.)
Cause Nero Virtual Drive can only run .iso and .nrg. :not_ok:

[EDIT]btw. _r.u.s.s. it were the same values (perfect match)[/EDIT]

Old 20-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

dont you just want to install a new version of alcohol? has no bugs for me
Old 20-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Oh my were you lucky.

Daemon can mount cue, iso, bwt, cdi, b5t, ccd, mds, nrg, pdi.

112 MB's worth of registry looks like quite cluttered, mine is 53 MB and I've got some bulky programs installed such as a couple of CAD ones. You could clean it, just don't delete anything if you don't know what you're doing. I use EasyCleaner, it searches only for the keys which are absolutely safe to delete, and it even backups them in case they were important --I've never needed to restore myself though so it's 100% safe in my experience.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_r.u.s.s. @ Aug 20 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]305693[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
btw @japrofan: i d say thats kind of enough o_O[/b]
How many tens of MB of P2P downloads (including Temp) do you have in your hard drive? :P