Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 14-02-2007, 04:54 AM   #11
Guest_Coplann_*

I still have that gem here on its original CD. I spent a lot of time with it, especially in hot seat mode with a friend or two. ^^

Old 14-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #12
Guest_tenth1_*

I used to play this back on the older systems. I can clearly recall it's all about range/damage. Although if u can get infiltrators then you can nullify that and steal some of the enemy's units. But with infiltrators you have to watch for those with the ability to see you. Cause if they do your infiltrator unit is soft and easily splatted. Upgrade your range and damage then you can move in like a chess match and destroy defensive piece by defensive piece until the war is won.

Old 14-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
Delibator
Forum hobbit

Thumbs up

can anyone run the game with sound? it appears i have the same problem that the guys above.

I run it with dosbox, and i notice that the sound files (in .wav format) are there.

Can someone give me any hints?
Delibator is offline                         Send a private message to Delibator
Old 14-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
Tobias

Quote:
Don't worry about the missing movie files though. If memory serves right, there were only two of 'em:
- An intro (typical, mechanized army shoots then explodes)
- And a weird cutscene (battleships & submarines, totally unrelated to the current game setting) [/b]
For what it's worth, there was also a movie scene of some huge tracked vehicle turning into a mining station.

I loved this game, and have only a minor gripe - the enemy units always seemed to 'know' to stop just out of range of my unit's weaponry, without previous knowledge that my unit was there. For example;

Imagine I have an Anti-Aircraft emplacement, which has a range of about 8 squares. Without 'in game' knowledge of this building (ie, without the opponent having detected this on any of their unit's scanners) the opponent's Ground Attack Planes (These can only 'see' for two squares around them) would always 'know' to stop just outside the range of my AA weapon.

I think I've only had two incidents of an enemy unit 'accidently' moving into range of a gun emplacement. Frustratingly this even seems to extend to land/sea mines, their units seem to avoid them even though I know they haven't swept that patch of terrain with their own minelayer/surveyor/foot units.

Seems mildly cheaty, even though obviously the computer knows where all the units are, the opponent AI shouldn't until it locates them in-game.

(MAX2 was awful, keep away!)

Old 14-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
can anyone run the game with sound? it appears i have the same problem that the guys above.

I run it with dosbox, and i notice that the sound files (in .wav format) are there.

Can someone give me any hints?[/b]
Try running the game's setup/install/config (etc) executable. Default soundcard emulated by DosBox is Sound Blaster 16 with IRQ 7 DMA 1 and adress 220h.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Delibator
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Try running the game's setup/install/config (etc) executable. Default soundcard emulated by DosBox is Sound Blaster 16 with IRQ 7 DMA 1 and adress 220h.[/b]
Did you manage to run it with sound?
I think the only setup file "setup.exe", only allows to select the language.
The readme advises to use sound emulation...
Thanks anyway. I´m gonna try some new things. If someone of you guys manage to run it (with sound) let me know. Maybe i´m just lame.
Delibator is offline                         Send a private message to Delibator
Old 14-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #17
SirPeter
Abandonia nerd

cant run setup either. In XP you can set the language then quits. In dosbox the setup gives an error and quits.
SirPeter is offline                         Send a private message to SirPeter
Old 15-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #18

My colors look weird when I star tthe game in XP.

Old 15-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #19
Guest_namster_*

can't start it either in XP - even with Dosbox.

Tried changing the settings to run maxrun.exe with compatibility to Win 95 - no luck...

anyone figured out how to get around this?

Old 15-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
Archduke

It runs with dosbox. the only problem is the sound.

everytime i start the setup exe i'm getting this output:

Error processing MAX.INI, line 2.

Error: 0001
Error: HMI drivers not present in current directory.

has anyone an idea?