Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #61
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Yup (BTW that's the version we have here).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 31-01-2006, 04:20 AM   #62
Railfan

Was there ever a crack that fixed that?

Old 31-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #63
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, the first game (on floppies) required the Train Rooster (from the manual), but the CD version didsn't require it anymore (although it's the original Microsoft version). It's because they included the manual on the disk rather then printing it out, so you'd have to exit the game and look at the trains (or memorize them). Comouters back then didn't allow mulitple tasks - so you couldn't have been running the game and looking at the manual at the same time to find the answer.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 31-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #64
Railfan

I had the game on floppies, and I memorized the trains. but it was the scoring bugs and train limits that I was wondering. WHy only 32 trains? Why only so many stations? Why can't I score more than $30,000,000? I wondered if that had ever been fixed?
The first computer I played it on ran at 8 MHz. It almost ran in real time. The speed of the processor actually affected the revenue you got at each station, and the value of the bonus you got.

Old 31-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #65
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Those aren't bugs - those are limitation the game has (it simply couldn't handle more then a certain number of trains or stations).
Old 31-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #66
Railfan

Are those limits in the deluxe version?

Old 12-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #67
superking
Lurker

^IIRC from playing the deluxe version a decade ago, yes, the limits are still in place. Try building factories or powerplants in remote corners of the map to spend excess cash if you have trouble bumping up against that limit.

I'm curious, like Pipit a couple pages ago, if anybody has ever found a way to edit maps for this game. I don't have a program that can open any of the .pic files that come with it, though of course that would hardly be enough. Presumably when you open the CITIES0/1/2/3 files, the seemingly random characters associated with each city name correspond to the city's location on the map. I also assume that outside of river, city center, and ocean squares, each square on the map has a series of probabilities associated with it--the likelihood of its being plains, hills, mountains, forest, farms, village, industry, or what-have-you. It doesn't seem like this would be too hard to figure out, with the right tools, but the only thing I can open these files with is notepad and it doesn't exactly represent the lines of code in any readable format.
Has anybody ever played around with this idea?
superking is offline                         Send a private message to superking
Old 05-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #68

Does anyone know if theres a patch that fixes the money over flow problems?

Old 10-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #69

I remember an exploit using this overflow. If you build powerplants until you have 32Mio or so red dollars, the number is going black. Not sure if 32Mio was exactly the value.

Old 21-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #70

I confess that RRT Deluxe is far better than the original version for a couple of reasons:

A. Much better graphics. I still had some time adpating myself to RRT Deluxe graphics, but the original RRT graphics are too much for me.

B. Mostly cosmetic issues like having a more realistic portrait for your historical adversaries.

C. The ability to choose the starting year.

D. New trains.

D. Last but not the least, because in North America they replaced the grasshoppers with the John Bull. They can make a great difference in the beginning of the game because the John Bull is really a superior train capable of pulling three cars at good speed. It is superior to the RRT grashoppers and the european Planet design.

Overall, I think RRT Deluxe is above RRT and I have far more fun playing the Deluxe version. Altough RRT is still a great game and I miss an England map.