Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
Evad
Game freak

it's known as the game that's easily learned, but takes a lifetime to master.

The thing that really gets me is that there is never the same game twice. I've played hundreds of games(and I'm still no master) and I swear to you, unless intentinally, I have never played the same game twice. It is absolutely mind boggling how the situational complexity multiplies exponentially with every thought out move.

I have chessmaster 10th edition, and if you can afford it, and are into learning the game then this is hands down the best avenue for you to go. If you have ever seen a movie called "Searching for Bobby Fisher", then you might remember the boys name was Josh Waitskin(not Bobby fisher). Well he's all grown up now(and ironically has quit playing chess opting instead for martial arts) however he has colaborated with ubi-soft and put together a full-fledged tutorial and learning course that covers all aspects of the game. These elements that he goes over include: beginning, middle, end game play/ tactics/ phsycology/ pawn structure/ piece dynamics and congruity ,as well as much mre. What I loved best was the fact that there is a lecture series included where he'll take you through some of his grandmaster games against his rival and take you step by step through them and explain the train of thought.

I may have to download this one however as i'm sick of having to put that bloody CD in my computer. ( i have bf2 and starwars3 in there right now and niether of them seem to want to leave ;P.

If anyone out there wants a half decent advesary or maybe even a little tutelage (as my theory is much better then my tactics at the moment) let me know. I'm always up for a game.
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

If anyone is interested, a chess challenge has been issued before :whistle:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM   #13
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy@Nov 7 2005, 06:51 PM
Seriously though, thanks, maybe I'll finally brush up on my chess-playing skills (which do not exist as of yet)
But if they're nonexistent as of yet, you wouldn't be doing any brushing up, would you? It would simply be brushing.:P

This is not a chess game for the easily frustrated, I suppose? Because if it isn't, I'd better stay clear of it, no matter how good it is...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 07-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #14
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Bah, this game only gets a 4 in my book, maybe just even a 3, I will dismiss this for all time, as it does not challenge the best chess game of all time! BATTLE CHESS!

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
But if they're nonexistent as of yet, you wouldn't be doing any brushing up, would you? It would simply be brushing. :tongue:

This is not a chess game for the easily frustrated, I suppose? Because if it isn't, I'd better stay clear of it, no matter how good it is...
Well it won't mind if you start insulting it, cursing, throwing furniture, hireing a hitman to kill the lead programer of the game... So I guess you could play - but don't expect to win :whistle:
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #16
Nikson
Game Wizzard

Bleh... the only PC chess software worth having is Chessmaster. Preferrably 8000 or above.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 07-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #17
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I don't get the Chessmaster games for a single reason, that repulsive old man on the cover of each box.

His ugly mug alone makes me shudder.
Battle Chess is chess with violence and humor!

My Site -
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 07-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #18
Nikson
Game Wizzard

And gets boring once you've seen all the animations 5 times.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 07-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #19
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

BTW - you do know that the main part of a chess game is the THINKING. What will your next move be? Will you defeat the opponent? Animations and game covers are really besides the point here...

One of the best chess games ever only featured CGA graphics, letters representing pieces and a "type the move" interface. But it was still 102kb (which was kindda big for that time, not to mention for a game with virtually no graphics and absolutely no sound). Never got boring (but I never got to win).
Old 07-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #20
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

What is with most of the new chess games and their insane AI? The developers are trying to kill us.

It's like they're trying to develop a home version of Deep Blue.

My Site -