Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #111
Szaemon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom Henrik @ Nov 17 2004, 06:25 AM) [snapback]26873[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
[/b]
Hello,
I am quite new to this site and computers in general.I freely admit to vast lack of knowledge regarding any and every aspect of this whole computerized world, so my questions are likely to be humorously basic. For example: How do I post or comment on a game? I saw this option to reply to your post, but I don't know if I should burden you exclusively with my requests. Now after a good chuckle om my tab, please take amoment to respond...though as I think of it, I'm not quite sure how I would receive your response. I presume it will be posted here somwhere.
In faact I came here with an entirely different request. This Anvil of Dawn game seems quite interesting, however I don't quite understand how to play it. I am at the beginning of the game and I seem to be locked in a room. I'm certain there is a simple way to open the door, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out. Would you happen to know where I could get a manual for this game?

Thank You.
sincerely,
Sean P. Martinsen
Szaemon is offline                         Send a private message to Szaemon
Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #112
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Hi Szaemon, welcome to the forum. I googled for the manual for you but so far have not found one yet. Replacementdocs.com is usually a good source of game manuals, but I can't find manual for Anvil of Dawn there either.

Anyway, it's been quite some time since I last played Anvil of Dawn, so I don't recall the details, but try clicking with your mouse either on the door or on the wall. Maybe try looking for any lever or door switch or such, and the door should be opened. Remember to use DOSBox to avoid any problem. Make sure you also turn the sound off in the game, 'cause IIRC the sound (along with video) files are ripped off the Anvil of Dawn archive here so as to reduce the size.

Have fun playing Anvil of Dawn! k:

EDIT: You can download DOSBox here: http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs
DOSBox tutorial is here: http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 03-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #113
Szaemon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rabadi @ Aug 3 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]246505[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Hi Szaemon, welcome to the forum. I googled for the manual for you but so far have not found one yet. Replacementdocs.com is usually a good source of game manuals, but I can't find manual for Anvil of Dawn there either.

Anyway, it's been quite some time since I last played Anvil of Dawn, so I don't recall the details, but try clicking with your mouse either on the door or on the wall. Maybe try looking for any lever or door switch or such, and the door should be opened. Remember to use DOSBox to avoid any problem. Make sure you also turn the sound off in the game, 'cause IIRC the sound (along with video) files are ripped off the Anvil of Dawn archive here so as to reduce the size.

Have fun playing Anvil of Dawn! k:

EDIT: You can download DOSBox here: http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=programs
DOSBox tutorial is here: http://www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1
[/b]
Thank you for the assistance. I wasn't able to find the manual either.
Szaemon is offline                         Send a private message to Szaemon
Old 03-08-2006, 12:17 PM   #114
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you have any problems with DosBox, try having a look at the official FAQ on the project's site.
Basic Setup and Installation
Command Line
Z instead of C at the command prompt
Internal Programs (important, especially MOUNT)
Most of the stuff in there is not really needed, but youb would do best to familiarize yourself with the specific topics I linked to.
The mounting of your DosBox games directory, switching the promt to the emulated C: drive and clearing the screen from previous commands can all be executed from the [autoexec] section of dosbox.conf, so you won't have to re-type them every time round.
Frontend programs can help running DosBox with varying configurations for different games.
For both a more accessible user interface and oldschool feel, you can use Norton Commander (get it from our programs and utilities page - scroll down to the bottom to find it). NC might seem awkward at first, but in fact it is a very functional genuine DOS era file manager frontend. It has a plethora of functions that will help you in navigating around the directories, while still retaining the command prompt.

Though all of this might seem complicated, it's very easy once you get used to it. So remember:

DON'T PANIC!!!

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 25-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #115
bahman
Abandonia nerd

Does this game really deserve to be in top 10???????
bahman is offline                         Send a private message to bahman
Old 26-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #116
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

Top ten, where? It does, however, deserve a place in my top ten PC DOS RPG
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 31-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #117
cmat

Great game---have really enjoyed it so far.

Anyone have any idea how to get into this one area in Quagmire? It's in the SE section and there are 4 teleporters diagonal from each other on the map. There should be a way to take one of those to another area---I can see a bit of that area on my map---but I just can't figure out how to make it work.

Anyone figure this out?
cmat is offline                         Send a private message to cmat
Old 01-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #118
cmat

OK, got that figured out (just had to enter in the teleporters multiple times in multiple ways).

Now, I'm totally stuck in Fire Mountain. There is the one place to the East that has a small alcove with a plate you need to weigh down. But the alcove is surrounded by spinners and I can't make it happen no matter how hard I try. Is there a way to counteract the spinners or a pattern to the steps I need to take? It's so frustrating!
cmat is offline                         Send a private message to cmat
Old 04-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #119
Vigilark

I'm at some wizard looking guy in the dungeon looking area at the beginning. When I talk with him and try to select "greet" nothing happens Any ideas?

Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #120

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vigilark @ Sep 4 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]252773[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I'm at some wizard looking guy in the dungeon looking area at the beginning. When I talk with him and try to select "greet" nothing happens Any ideas?
[/b]

I tried starting a new game and can't even pick a character. I'm playing through dosbox window mode, since I don't know how to make it full screen.