Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin
Unhappy

Hiya,

Please help me prepare a report on "Impact of Science and Technology on Human Beings".

It sounds like an easy topic but the thing is I am not allowed to take help from the interet. My teacher wants us to read many books and then quote from them. He wants us to specify even the Page No. of the book used.

So what I want to say is that if anyone of you have ever read a book relevant to this topic, please tell me its name. I will search for it. If possible, also tell me the page no. I need to prepare a report about 500 words and it will be great if you can tell me the names of as many books as possible. I don't have that much time to refer and search from so many books myself as I have to submit the report on thurday itself and today is Sunday.

Also, if you have any views of yours regarding this topic, please please please do share them with me.

Please help me.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Kon-Tiki
[BANNED]

Look up Marx. This topic's the basis of his theories. Aside from that, you could look up some stuff by Asimov, who's done a futuristic look on it all (like in I, Robot), and look for the movie Gataca. Aside from the past and future look, I don't know any written works on this subject in the modern time, I'm afraid.
Kon-Tiki is offline                         Send a private message to Kon-Tiki
Old 09-10-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well I completely agree with the fact that you need to look at the books and quote them properly - that's too prove you've actually read it and that the work you've done is yours.

Now for some suggestions:
I suggest you look at Confucious (yes, ancient China), because he was already (way back) talking about the stresses of the city life.
But I think you'll find quite a lot of good stuff in the following book:
3001 - by Clarke (it's the fourth in the series of his Space Odysseys) and there are quite a few passages where he compares the life around the year 1000, 2000 and 3000. So that would be the impact of technilogy on the way the human society.
There are other books and movies on the subject as well. just take a look at Frankenstein (Marry Shelly). After electricity was "invented" people thought it was the most marvelous discovery, that could even re-animate the dead.
Or look at any b-rated sci-fi film (or comic book) of the 50s. The nuclear energy creates mutants, cures, gives us the possibility to explore stars.

Sure, electricity and nuclear power didn't give us as much as promised, but people started having bigger dreams.

It all depends what you'll write and how you go about it.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 09-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Do magazines count?
If so, then try the scientific american mag. it's not as long as the other sources, but occasionally they have an article about science and if you need a quick space filler it should help.
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 09-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #5
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Erm, this may sound like a stupid suggestion, but have you tried a keyword search in your library catalogue yet? That way you could also make sure you can actually get hold of those books...
If you have a means of accessing it, the MLA Bibliography can be quite handy as well, but of course most of those articles and books you won't be able to get.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 09-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
moogle
Abandonia Homie

LOL, ya that ALWAYS works.
Good sugestion
Raffles is the master of the literature...

Ugh...MLA how I mate that...so many times missing points on reports because I but a period instead of a comma before the authors name...oh the horror...

Also, you could go to like a bookstore website and search for books on line, then go and see if they have them at your local library.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by moogle@Oct 9 2005, 05:17 PM
LOL, ya that ALWAYS works.*
Good sugestion
Raffles is the master of the literature...
As a matter of fact I do have an MA in English Lit.:P

I wouldn't recommend a search in online bookshops, though, as they won't list any out of print titles. Libraries are better, really. And look at the bibliographies. Sometimes a book which is otherwise useless can point you towards a useful one through its bibliography.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 09-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
moogle
Abandonia Homie

Oh hey thats a really good idea!!!
The bibliography one!
I have a whole ton of Michael Chriction books, I'l check and see if theres anything useful he gets refernces from.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:41 AM   #9
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Oct 10 2005, 12:54 AM
I suggest you look at Confucious (yes, ancient China), because he was already (way back) talking about the stresses of the city life.
I always tried to remember what that was called. Now I know.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
vipin
Super Freak

Send a message via AIM to vipin

at last I am still hopeless! please help me with something available on internet. I am not able to find anything on Google.
If anyone of you know some sources please tell.
I have tried wikipedia.com to search for definitions of science, technology but all help will be appreciated!