Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
jolofa

Hi Guys, a very New User here. New to everything especially DosBox. I wanted to play a game I used to play when I was younger, Romance of the Three Kingdom. I found a link which directed me to Abandonia. I downloaded it, and with the help of DosBox and very helpful tutorials from this forum, I was able to run it. The problem I have is I can't read the in game text. It's just a bunch of unreadable characters that's supposed to be the in game text. How do I solve this? Forgive my ignorance, but I really am excited that I may have a chance of playing this old game which I love. I appreciate any help. Forgive me if this problem has been discussed before because I have been looking high and low in this forum and can't find the solution. I'm running it on Windows XP.
jolofa is offline                         Send a private message to jolofa
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
Ghost

A fellow Romance of the Three Kingdoms lover! Party on :brain: Can you post a screenshot of what those characters look like? You can take screenshots by pressing ctrl and f5 at the same time. The screenshot will then be in a subfolder of Dosbox, called Capture.
Ghost is offline                         Send a private message to Ghost
Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #3
jolofa

QUOTE(Ghost @ Jun 7 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]293445[/snapback]
Quote:
A fellow Romance of the Three Kingdoms lover! Party on :brain: Can you post a screenshot of what those characters look like? You can take screenshots by pressing ctrl and f5 at the same time. The screenshot will then be in a subfolder of Dosbox, called Capture.
[/b]
Once again I thank you for your help, but I can't seem to take the screenshot. I tried pressing ctrl and F5 but nothing comes to the capture folder. I tried refreshing it, but to no avail. This thing is driving me crazy and wasting my precious hours when I can spend it playing this game :wallbash: It's an honor meeting a fellow ROTK lover. Have your read the story/history of ROTK?

Back to the issue...the characters are just blocks of illegible "text" (not even alphabetical). The strange thing is the KOEI logo and the Koei presents are legible.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Ghost

Koei logo is a sprite, not a font. It is weird that the screenshot thing does not work :blink: That does not matter though. I hate to ask this as it is a bit rude, but are those characters Asian writing? I dont think that this is the case. It is unlikely, but you never know. If this is not the case, I will download the game too and see from there on. It is fun to play it, so I do not mind.

I read all five books plenty of years ago and am reading them again now.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
jolofa

QUOTE(Ghost @ Jun 7 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]293456[/snapback]
Quote:
Koei logo is a sprite, not a font. It is weird that the screenshot thing does not work :blink: That does not matter though. I hate to ask this as it is a bit rude, but are those characters Asian writing? I dont think that this is the case. It is unlikely, but you never know. If this is not the case, I will download the game too and see from there on. It is fun to play it, so I do not mind.

I read all five books plenty of years ago and am reading them again now.
[/b]
I'm sure that they are not Asian writing. Just hard to discribe, I apologize. It's frustrating :tai: Reading the books before playing this game adds depth and passion. I'd really get more involved in the game, knowing the characters from the book. If you can help me with this problem, I'd really appreciate it so much.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
Ghost

The books have the same name as the game: Romance of the Three Kingdoms. They are written by Lo Kuang-Chung.

As for the game, I do not know what is wrong, but I am sure the technical prowess Titan shows will be able to solve this faster than I ever can. Maybe you ask him. Otherwise, email me and we will talk k:
Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Data
retired

if the text looks weird and taking screenshots doesn't work, are you sure you are running the game inside dosbox ?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #8
jolofa

QUOTE(Data @ Jun 7 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]293480[/snapback]
Quote:
if the text looks weird and taking screenshots doesn't work, are you sure you are running the game inside dosbox ?
[/b]
True to my ignorance, I made a stupid mistake. I tried the shortcut of installing the game by dragging the whole ROTK files (straight from the Zip file without saving it into my folder) into the capture...I don't know why I did that :wallbash: That's how I got the stupid characters replacing all the in game text. When I reread the shortcut from another post carefully, the game ran without any problem. It seems that I have to take all the files out from the zip into a new folder and drag the koei.exe into the dosbox.exe. That simple step somehow I have stupidly messed up.

Totally my fault, I appriciate all the advice from you guys. Now I can truly enjoy the game. Thank you for those who have made this guy's dream come true by uploading this game.

For Ghost or whoever wants to discuss Romance of the Three kingdom, game or history, I'm game. I read the history like 4 times. Really love Zhuge Liang and Liu Bei's 5 great generals.