Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-09-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Default The end of the file corner

I play a game which greatly restrict avatar dimentions but not the size. So much that the biggest image you can have as an avatar is a 90x30 pixels image.

With this in mind, I have found an image I would have liked to use as an avatar... But the image is so big that I would have lost a lot of the definition and the quality of the image by shrinking it. So I decided to try my hand at animation instead.

I resized/resampled the image with Irfanview and then I have cut the image at the right dimention. Then I animated them all with The Gimp 2.6

Here goes:

This is pretty much my first animation, so it's obviously not the best quality. And I had a lot of trouble with the tools I used, since they are also obviously not specialized for this kind of work. The Gimp gave me the most trouble... I just can't understand how someone can even manage to work with this troublesome and unintuitive program...

What do you guys think?
Old 15-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

it's not so bad i think

can you give me the full size version? maybe i can size optimize it for you
Old 15-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

EoF: My trick for making animations in GIMP is to first save each frame as a separate file. Open the first frame, then open the rest as layers.
At this point it's best to save the animation as an XCF file if you need to go back and tweak something.
Convert image to indexed color mode, and run Filters -> Animation -> Optimize for GIF.
Now the only thing to do is adjust the timings between each frame - which is done in the Layers window.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Fifth: this is exactly what I've done, except that I went straight into saving into .gif instead of fiddling with another file type. I guess Gimp did that automatically, and it give out a good result.

The only problem is changing the frames delay and/or timing... I really have no idea what that option is. I did look everywhere...

Russ: size as in what? Dimention or file size?

If I manage to find out how to increase the MS time between each frame then I won't have to repeat the last image 50 times, which should reduce the size significantly (probably by around 200k bytes).
Old 15-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
The only problem is changing the frames delay and/or timing... I really have no idea what that option is. I did look everywhere...
Dialogues -> Layers (shortcut: CTRL+L). It's in the layer's name along with layer disposal method.

Quote:
If I manage to find out how to increase the MS time between each frame then I won't have to repeat the last image 50 times, which should reduce the size significantly (probably by around 200k bytes).
That, and you can also use Filters -> Animation -> Optimize (For GIF). Convert the image to indexed mode first, and note the process will yield better size saving with smaller color palettes.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 15-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

as in file size
Old 16-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Thanks for the tip guys. Here is the end result:

From 240kb to 79kb!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Here is a quick doodle.

I love this table. My PCs aren't careless at all.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
El Quia
Abandonia Homie

I didn't knew you were a RPGer, too! Good to know

So, when will we get a true RPG going with abandonia members?

Also, I loved that post-editing to show the bridge and the river! I know it's a simple thing, but that added a lot of flavor to that map
El Quia is offline                         Send a private message to El Quia