Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Which Book Do U Like Most
1 Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone 3 15.79%
2 Harry Potter & The Chamber Of Secrets 0 0%
3 Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Askaban 2 10.53%
4 Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire 7 36.84%
5 Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix 6 31.58%
6 Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Pffft! Potter is incredibly mediocre and uninteresting, and the films were even worse (though the third one approached bearable becuase the kids were ignored as much as possible...) - you want to read A Series of Unfortunate Events, those books are genius.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 29-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #12
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

I'm going to go against everything already said here and risk a hell of a lot of credibility by saying I like the HP books. There are better books, but there always will be.
I started liking HP before anyone had ever heard of him and his book was just another one lost in a sea of other novels (HP only got famous after the second novel). Anyway, I bought the first HP book and when I mentioned it to friends all I got was blank expressions. Of course, when the other books came out HP fever struck the school but I didn't take part in all the dressing up and raving about how good it was.
I still regard myself as somebody who quietly enjoys the books before they were hugely famous, and not one of the hangers on on the tidal wave on fame. I have only seen the first film (I was dragged there against my will!) and haven't been to any signings or conventions, nor have I ever bought any merchandise but I have bought every book (except the first) on the very first day it came out and I will do the same with the next one. Thank you for bothering to read my post which I wrote just after getting up and so rambles a bit.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 29-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
omg
Games Master

so basically you like hp before he sold out and was mainstream? (hehe)
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 29-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #14
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by omg@May 29 2005, 01:16 PM
so basically you like hp before he sold out and was mainstream? (hehe)
Yep, and I still reagrd him as non-mainstream by blocking out all the marketing crap (mostly by putting my fingers in my ears and singing lalala whenever and advert for the film or an interview with JK Rowling (who I have lost a lot of respect for btw) comes on TV).
Old 29-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #15
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

I couldnt be bothered chpoosing a best but it would be one of the first three as they are the shortest. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6th is 2000 pages long.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 29-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #16
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

i loved the way they got paxman to interview her, like it was serious and important
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 29-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #17
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@May 29 2005, 02:24 PM
i loved the way they got paxman to interview her, like it was serious and important
That was worth watching to see Paxman's attempts at flirting
Old 29-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #18
omg
Games Master

paxman flirting????????????
i prefer to see hiom destroying polititions
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 29-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #19
Spookyfish
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Scarecrow@May 29 2005, 12:54 PM
I couldnt be bothered chpoosing a best but it would be one of the first three as they are the shortest. I wouldn't be surprised if the 6th is 2000 pages long.
Sigh...

:ranting:

People seem to think that longer books are necessarily better than shorter ones, given LotR's sudden renaissance among younger readers. The HP-books keep getting longer and longer, and there's no point in it. There are quite a number of pointless and rather uninteresting scenes in the books that are only worth reading if you're incredibly drawn into the story. Me and some friends actually suspect that one of the chapters in the last book will be named, "Harry takes a crap".
Spookyfish is offline                         Send a private message to Spookyfish
Old 29-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #20
Lizard
Abandonia Homie

LOL
I am on same side that R. Havell. I read first book before it became popular and in fact, I sucesfully ignored its popularity until first movie was made.There are better books and series, sure (for example Discworld series or A Series of Unfortunate Events....), but HP is STILL worth reading. Just forgot and ignore all commercial stuff and movies....

Btw: Shady Yashy slowly take over TheChosens position of topicmaker... :whistle:
Lizard is offline                         Send a private message to Lizard