Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
LotharGR
Super Freak

There are a few example of funny adventures today... "Stupid invaders" is one. But even that is 2 years old i think.. i don't know of any other funny adventure to have come out since that
LotharGR is offline                         Send a private message to LotharGR
Old 31-03-2004, 09:22 PM   #12
muaddib
Forum hobbit

Send a message via ICQ to muaddib Send a message via MSN to muaddib

The thing is, these days people like fast action games full of explotions and huge grafical effects. I don't think there are a lot of people (especially kids) that are patient enough to play adventure games.
Old 31-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #13
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The big problem is executives who think they know what people want. It is perhaps true that an old school adventure is a tad on the dull side but I would rather play a good adventure that is not taxing my graphics card every second then the so many-ith 3d shooter that has absolutely nothing going for it. What it comes down to for most people (at least people like me) is that they want to play a good game. Whether that is a FPS a RPG, a RTS or any other three letter abbreviation doesn't matter. As long as it is well done and exciting (which is not necessarily the same as action packed).
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 01-04-2004, 07:43 AM   #14
LotharGR
Super Freak

The gaming industry is gigantic, and does not involve only the gamig companies ... "First person shooters" ( and now "real time strategy" games also ) are the most succesful games of our time, because they benefit and someone else apart the gaming companies: The hardware manufactures. New games are the "excuse" to buy new graphic cards. Because if only your old card cannot play the new games ( and if of course you want the new games ) then you go and buy the new cards.
Old 14-04-2004, 04:39 AM   #15
I_Wanna_Be_A_Pirate
Abandonia nerd

Default A Big Joke

I love aAdventure games like monkey island and day of the tentecle just becuase thier one big joke that gets funnier and funnier as you progress.
I_Wanna_Be_A_Pirate is offline                         Send a private message to I_Wanna_Be_A_Pirate
Old 14-04-2004, 07:20 AM   #16
mika
Games Master

I'm not sure if it's the big companies that are at fault here. I think they just follow the numbers, if the games sell they make more, and obviously adventures are just not selling enough (unfortunately).
mika is offline                         Send a private message to mika
Old 14-04-2004, 10:46 AM   #17
The Niles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Big companies like Actavision and EA are afraid to invest in new things. New concepts that might not work or might just be the new great thing in gaming. The innovation comes from the smaller companies that do not have the huge funds of the big ones. Sierra was not doing so well a few years ago and took a chance on some untried games like Half Life and Homeworld and that payed off for them and us. It gave us a whole new concept in gaming. If a big company makes an adventure game they make on like the Quest series or Monkey Island. They do not dare to give a twist to the concept in fear of doing something wrong. They end up with an outdated game that few will play and then they say adventure gaming is not "viable" and go on to make another bland RTS game.
Rabyd Rev -- 2 Timothy 2:15
The Niles is offline                         Send a private message to The Niles
Old 14-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #18
LotharGR
Super Freak

That is understandable, but it is wrong ... I mean, if gaming companies don't have the will to take risks, then the quality of new games will continue to drop as the new ideas will be fewer and fewer... Its like the Movie industry. In the 60s and 70s it was a risk to make movies like "star treck" or "star wars", but someone there were people willing to take that risk and make them, and now we have these great movies and tv episodes etc... Of course the will to take risks has almost died and in the movie industry. For example, now the trend is toward epic movies. Noone will take the risk to make a science fiction movie. If the trend moves back to science fiction again then noone will make epic movies... This is wrong in my opininion. The quality drops when you make games or movies or anything else because you are "forced" to do them by the audience. Every artist ( and game making must be considered a "art" ) must follow his own insticts and likeness and not what the people asks. Only then the true pieces of art are produced.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:37 AM   #19
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

For me, a good storyline is everything!

For a couple of months back I bought a PS2 and immediately began to buy Action games to it. Games like Tekken 3, Turok, TimeSplitter I & II and so on. The problem with these games are that you loose interest in them after you've played it only once, and so have to buy new ones.

That experience taught me that a good game is something that is different every time you play it, has a good story and is full of secrets. This includes games like the Final Fantasy series and Summoner, but also action games can posses these traits (as shown to us by Diablo).

But I agree that the adventure genre for PC games are dying, like The Picard said; companies don't dare to make "new" types of games. This is sad, but true. Companies are afraid of making a flopp...

A dream that is shared by me and many other gamers around the world is a new game that incorporates all the ingredients for a good game:
1. A great plot.
2. Good graphics (both video, gaming and scenery).
3. A crossing of game types (Turok is an example of this; having both a good FPS and a descent flying simulator).
4. Humour
5. Well made characters (involving backgrounds, conversations and reactions).
6. A long storyline. (Remember Gabriel Knight: Beast Within (6 CD's) or Phantasmagoria (8 CD's)).

Now I know that all these effects in the same game will need a lot of space, but today we have the DVD's that we didn't in the old days. And there are many gamers around the world who gladly would buy a game that uses even 20 - 30 DVD's (me, for instance), even though the cost would be high. If it contained all the above factors, people would buy it.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #20
LotharGR
Super Freak

Wow... I imagine what game would fit in 94GB ( 20 DVD :P ) Of course now the number seems unimaginable, but remember that in the early 80s we still imagined games fitting in 1-2 1.44MB disks, and thought that this was big enough... Technology still amazes as