Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #221
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The game is meant to be played that way.

Also, you don't have to send 20 of your lowest, non upgraded fighters to take a single fort. You can level them up and send only a few of them at a time and use the rest to attack other targets at the same time. It go a lot faster that way.

Don't forget that at the origin The Settlers was a builder game with a twist. The latest iterations of this game turned the series into a pointless RTS which go fast... But The Settlers 1 and 2 are meant to take a fair amount of time to complete.
Old 30-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #222
imanewbie
Default knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
...You can level them up and send only a few of them at a time and use the rest to attack other targets at the same time. It go a lot faster that way.
yea... i just figured that out yesterday after re-reading the manual. battles are slightly less tedious after i send my most experienced knights out to fight. i'm still pretty bad at managing my resources. used up my wood way too fast and only built 1 tree planter on a size 8 map. this game seriously lacks in-game feedback on potential resource shortages.

Old 31-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #223
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

True. This is a very old game and user friendliness wasn't a strong point back then. They were concentrating quite more on keeping the game size down to fit it on a floppy.

But this is really part of the game. Figuring out what is the best optimal distribution of resources, buildings and roads is pretty much why this game was loved by so many people when it got out.
Old 22-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #224
arca
Lurker

Hello. It's 2017 and I still play The Settlers! I remember the game I borrowed from my friend (it was 1994 or so) on a single 3,5" floppy disk and had to figure it out myself how to run my little kingdom. Today I can start the game with minimum resources and play just fine as it is possible to start game from zero.

I wonder if there's any modding community for Settlers I (and Settlers II)?
I never heard of it.
I've seen a guy who was trying to port Amiga version of the game to Android but I do not know if he succeed. Last time checked it was all in developing stage.

Also I found a copy of the game localised and I don't mind to share if you like to upload it. Polish players would really enjoy it!!!

Last edited by arca; 22-10-2017 at 06:50 PM.
arca is offline                         Send a private message to arca
Old 28-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #225
Nilex
Forum hobbit

Not long ago I sorted my Settlers I+II collection and stumbled upon this S2-only site: http://www.siedler25.org/. Might be a good starting point for your S1 quest.

That's all I've found and by accident even as I am not a die-hard fan of mods. It occurred to me, especially regarding S1, if there exists a full fledged fan site it's likely not in English cause the game's primarily target market was Germany. Anyways good luck to you, and if you find a solution for S1 cursor flickering in SVGA be sure to notify me
Nilex is offline                         Send a private message to Nilex