Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #101
Red Sandwich

I wonder: am I talking to myself here? Has anyone else seen the problem that I described? Has anyone NOT seen the problem described in my previous post in this thread?

One of the consequences of all this stuff being moved around without rhyme or reason is that because it generates so much extra traffic the game starts spawning more of the transport ponces which makes even more useless traffic which ... ... I think you will probably get the idea.

Please can I have some response to this from others who have played Settelers 1 (aka Serf City)?

Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 15-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #102
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Sorry Sir!

Well, there numerous hints and tactics about this game, but I doubt that you read all through this topic.
Actually I'm not the one to ask, but since you're complaining...

My advice would be building stocks in strategic positions e.g. close to your mines.
On the other hand you can adjust the transport priority in the menus.

Just build the iron related building close together. Same with wood.
That's all advice I cn give you.

Last edited by arete; 15-10-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: :ok:
Icewolf is offline                         Send a private message to Icewolf
Old 15-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #103
Red Sandwich

Quote:

Well, there numerous hints and tactics about this game, but I doubt that you read all through this topic.
Ah, your doubts are unfounded. I most certainly did read through this entire thread. And I've read the manual and a FAQ.

Quote:

My advice would be building stocks in strategic positions e.g. close to your mines.
On the other hand you can adjust the transport priority in the menus.

Just build the iron related building close together. Same with wood.
That's all advice I cn give you.

Well, this is exactly what I'm doing but it doesn't have any impact on the problem that I'm seeing which looks to me like a program bug.

Icewolf, you didn't say whether you had seen this problem yourself but thanks for your reply.

Red Sandwich is offline                         Send a private message to Red Sandwich
Old 15-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #104
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Well, I had the same problem but I moved playing settlers 2 gold.
Basically the same as settlers 1 but better graphics and higher AI so there aren't that much "traffic jams". And a little road improvement....
Old 16-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #105
Red Sandwich

Quote:
Originally posted by Icewolf@Mar 15 2006, 12:52 PM
Well, I had the same problem but I moved playing settlers 2 gold.
Thanks. I suspected that Settlers 2 might be the only solution. However, I'm still surprised that reviews and FAQS don't mention the problem. Unfortunately Settlers 2 isn't an option for me at the moment due to lack of disk space.

On the current game that I'm playing, it was getting bad so I had a concerted effort to build a lot more warehouses. As they started to soak up items the amount of stuff in circulation was reduced and quite many of the transporters returned to warehouses or the castle and stayed there. There were still some transporters who were not doing their required job. I could see timber leave a warehouse, be carried through many relays only to have the last transporter in the chain refuse to pick it up. Meanwhile the builder would be pacing back and forth on his site unable to continue with construction.
Old 27-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #106
Grayfox

best game eva!!!!!!!
Grayfox is offline                         Send a private message to Grayfox
Old 27-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #107
Szozzar

To anyone whos interested

This game and S2 was the reason for me nad a good few others I know failing my GCSE's! Id forgot about this game for 10 years or so and D/L'd it the other day, and have been wondering;
Does anybody have any reccomendations for similar games that are like this game but are more recent so the AI is better? Notice how the computer doesnt reinforce strategic areas with forts or doesnt mine to its maximum capability?
I like the way the emphasis is on setting up a good economy and logistics as opposed to the war side of it, The newer versions of settlers just dont do it for me. I always hoped (when i was a kid) that there might be some way of getting the map sizes even bigger and having more players on a single game when pcs got better, any thoughts?

Old 29-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #108
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

S3 and S4 are somewhat 'similar' games. LOL

What newer Settler games did you try? Why you did not like them?

How far did you get into the game? Later levels are harder, and CPU does think better, and game becomes harder as resources become scarce. In recent replay of this game, I got stuck on level 13. I should continue later on. (I have save games)

Last edited by arete; 15-10-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: O.o
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 29-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #109
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Szozzar@Mar 27 2006, 11:43 PM
To anyone whos interested

This game and S2 was the reason for me nad a good few others I know failing my GCSE's! Id forgot about this game for 10 years or so and D/L'd it the other day, and have been wondering;
Does anybody have any reccomendations for similar games that are like this game but are more recent so the AI is better? Notice how the computer doesnt reinforce strategic areas with forts or doesnt mine to its maximum capability?
I like the way the emphasis is on setting up a good economy and logistics as opposed to the war side of it, The newer versions of settlers just dont do it for me.* I always hoped (when i was a kid) that there might be some way of getting the map sizes even bigger and having more players on a single game when pcs got better, any thoughts?
you could always take a look at the fan remake of settlers 2, called Widelands (http://www.widelands.org)

or an original graphical remake of settlers 2 from blue byte: DIE SIEDLER® II : Die nächste Generation (http://diesiedler2.de.ubi.com/game_galerie.php)

knights&merchants (http://www.knights.de) is somewhat similar too.
Old 29-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #110
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

velik_m,
thanks for the links.

Last edited by arete; 15-10-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: :) smiley
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue