Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
RexFesto696
[BANNED]

Default A good superhero movie to get kids to start watching superhero movies...

Hey, I'm new here.

I wanted to ask you guys a question:
I love superhero movies. My younger cousins (triplets; one boy, two girls) are turning 10 in a few days, and I really wanna get them into those kind of movies.

But there's one slight problem:
Most superhero movies have a lot of action violence that might be too much for them to handle. Either that, or they've got a lot of boring dialogue that they won't wanna sit through. They're still kids after all, but I don't wanna give up.

Out of all the superhero movies out there, which one do you THINK will be not so boring for the kids, yet not too violent? Like I said, this is just a stepping stone, so they can get into the REAL action later on...
RexFesto696 is offline                         Send a private message to RexFesto696
Old 25-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

By far, your best choice for this predicament would be Disney's "Hercules".

Why? Because it's the 1978 Richard Donner epic "Superman The Movie", simplified and toned-down for kids.

I'm not joking. These movies are similar in virtually every way. Tell you what, why don't you just trust me, and:

1. Have your cousins watch "Hercules" first, then...

2. Have them watch "Superman". A few minutes into the movie, they're gonna start going "Wow! This is just like 'Hercules'!" and repeat it every 10 minutes.

If you don't wanna take my word for it, why don't you just watch them both yourself...
SpiDoL is offline                         Send a private message to SpiDoL
Old 25-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
RexFesto696
[BANNED]

Even though Hercules is more of a Greek myth than a superhero, I'll give it a try...

EDIT:
OH MY GOD! YOU WERE RIGHT! THE TWO MOVIES ARE EXACTLY ALIKE!

All right, I'll take your plan and show my cousins both movies. That'll be a perfect start! Thanks!
RexFesto696 is offline                         Send a private message to RexFesto696
Old 25-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

No problem. Always willing to help a friend in need.

BTW, if anyone else is curious as to how "Hercules" and "Superman" are identical, just ask me and I'll gladly make a list of all the similarities...
Old 25-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Batman is the way to go. The 1966 campy Batman is good and campy, even bit childish. Might be bit boring for kids since its old, but its worth a shot.

The Tim Burton's Batman from 1989 is also worth trying. It is a bit darker, but I dont think it never gets too violent. Its lot more cooler though. Just dont mistake its sequel for it, thats good way to give kids nightmares.

And lastly, there's Spiderman, who's got 3 good movies under his name.

I would also recommend any of the superhero based cartoons, Like Spider-Man, X-Men (90's one and Evolution), Batman (Animated series, Beyond, The Batman and Brave & Bold), Superman, Justice League Unlimited and a lot of others. Maybe some old one's too, like Captain America or classic Superman. Out of all of them (and lot of others I havent mentioned), I dont recommend Avengers: United They Stand, cause I though that was little bland.

Plenty of established characters also have 1-hour-or-so movies on DVD. Those are worth trying too.

FAKEEDIT: And Ninja Turtles. First movie is good (bit dark some could say, but its about human-sized kung-fu fighting turtles so its hard to notice that) and so are the cartoons (both classic and newer one).

Last edited by TheChosen; 26-04-2012 at 12:44 AM.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 25-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Masters of the Universe (He-Man) all the way to go. Those episodes from early 80's I mean. Sci-Fi and Fantasy together with laser blasters, mighty swords and sorcerers good and evil? That's perfect to hook kids of 10 years up.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 26-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Japo
Autonomous human

Superhero fiction isn't my top thing, but my favorite title would surely be the '89 Batman. The 60s series and movie were obviously made that way on purpose, and anyway I don't think kids appreciate cheesy humor.

I remember I absolutely loved the Ninja Turtles movie when I watched it as a kid, although kids nowadays will probably laugh at the actors in turtle suits (not that they weren't equally obvious back then).
Old 26-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

I was always wondering about the value (e.g. educational aspects) of all superhero comics/movies. Probably a cultural difference thing, not only I live in Europe (not defended by any masked crusaders in colorful capes - hence both world wars), but also superheroes had only started to "visit" my country back in 1980s (my childhood era).

My heroes were guys like Indiana Jones. Doing extaordinary feats of bravery, yet in more modest costumes, and sans super powers. My parents were crazy enough to take a 6 year old to see a PG-13 rated "...Temple of Doom"! Probably this had started my lifelong affection to 1930s...

Even during my short stint with superhero comics (at the age 10-12) I disliked the ones blessed with special powers. No surprise I never cared for the movie adaptations (besides, they were usually inferior to comics)... well... maybe with one exception

Last edited by RRS; 26-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 26-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
SpiDoL
Game Wizzard

Quote:
My parents were crazy enough to take a 6 year old to see a PG-13 rated "...Temple of Doom"!
Eh?

This however (along with Gremlins) actually started the PG-13 rating.

But I do agree with you on superhero movies being inferior to the original comics. Why do you think I have 41 years worth of "The Amazing Spider-Man" comic books on 11 CD-ROMs, complete with the original advertisement pages and everything*?

*THESE WERE NOT DOWNLOADED ILLEGALLY. MY MOM BOUGHT THEM FOR ME AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM AMAZON.COM SEVERAL YEARS AGO.
Old 27-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiDoL View Post
*THESE WERE NOT DOWNLOADED ILLEGALLY. [..]
Why not?

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Closed Thread