Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
catchaserguns
Games Master

Default New Computer

my old machine died on me and I'm thinking of getting a Dell. I saw a refurbished dell Optiplex 520GX with 750g on its HD and 4g of Ram for a killer price. I would like some advice and possible warnings so I can make an informed decision.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns
Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Be ready to have your eardrums blown out by the jet engine cooling.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Juanca
Eternal Player

will you run it on win xp or vista? if on win xp no need 4gb of ram...
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
angry axe
O for Awesome

also, if it is vista (99% sure it is) be careful if you are going to upgrading to xp because sometimes it forfeits the warranty/guarantee or whatever you call it
"war has changed. its no longer about nations ideologies or ethnicity, its an endless series of proxy battles fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life - has become a well oiled machine" - Solid Snake
angry axe is offline                         Send a private message to angry axe
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
AlumiuN
Vodka-Induced Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry axe View Post
also, if it is vista (99% sure it is) be careful if you are going to upgrading to xp because sometimes it forfeits the warranty/guarantee or whatever you call it
Definitely. DEFINITELY.

Lies are for those who cannot handle the truth, but truth is for those who cannot handle the lies.
AlumiuN is offline                         Send a private message to AlumiuN
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Wicky
the little viking

Dell is worse than crappy, sorry but Dell is charging 50% of the value for it's 5 year warranty. I'd rather ask a friend to build a PC from components if you know somebody nerdy enough.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
Juanca
Eternal Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
Dell is worse than crappy, sorry but Dell is charging 50% of the value for it's 5 year warranty. I'd rather ask a friend to build a PC from components if you know somebody nerdy enough.
No need of a nerdy it is very easy to build it and all the information with screenshots and all is posted on the internet.
Sri Aurobindo
Juanca is offline                         Send a private message to Juanca
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Xhumed
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchaserguns View Post
my old machine died on me and I'm thinking of getting a Dell. I saw a refurbished dell Optiplex 520GX with 750g on its HD and 4g of Ram for a killer price. I would like some advice and possible warnings so I can make an informed decision.
What's actually died on your PC?

As Juanca said it's not that difficult to build a PC and if your on a tight budget you might be able to keep the cost down by using some parts from your old PC even if it's only the case, CD/DVD drive and maybe power supply unit, I couldn't recommend the Dell as they are usually over priced for what you get and if you buy the components they should all come with at least a 12 month warranty which costs nothing.

An easy option is to buy a motherboard bundle that many companies put together, that's the motherboard, the CPU and often the RAM as well, that way you can be sure the components work together and if you have any problems you only have one company to deal with.
If you think you would like to build your own PC I would definitely say "Try it" you will learn a lot and you will save yourself money by being able to fix, build and upgrade your PC's in the future.
Xhumed is offline                         Send a private message to Xhumed
Old 05-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Maxor127
Game Wizzard

I throw my vote in for building a PC too. It can feel overwhelming, but it's not that hard. You just have to research to pick the right parts, but it's worth it because your computer will probably run better than anything you could buy pre-built for twice as much. It's like putting together legos and the instructions that come with the parts is all you'll need. The part that usually scares me is attaching the heatsink. The AMD heatsinks I had to attach always felt like the latch was going to snap, and the Intel heatsink I attached for my new computer felt like it was going to snap the motherboard, but it all worked out. The worst thing that can happen is you'll end up with a faulty component, and if you're new to building, that can be scary and frustrating.
Maxor127 is offline                         Send a private message to Maxor127
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
catchaserguns
Games Master

Well, I'm too much a dumbbass to build my own so I went for what I thought was a good deal. Its a dell GX 520 with a Intel Pentium 4 processor 3.0 ghz with 4G of DDR2 RAM with a HD of 1 terabyte. it also has a Wifi card. I also upgraded the video card to a Nvidea GeForce 6200. and it was all for $485 and its free shipping. Please don't crucify me too bad.
catchaserguns is offline                         Send a private message to catchaserguns