Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
Triggatime

I hope this is the right place to post this, it seemed like the best.

I recently had a flashback and have been trying very hard to remember the name. I never could beat it when I a child and now I feel I must complete what I started. LOL. Plus I remember it being very fun and challanging. However, i was quite young and might be wrong.

Game play: I don't remember how the game is played exactly. This game is a mostly strategy game which takes place in space and I think you play the captain of a ship. One view of the game you see the solar system and all the planets in it and all your, and the enemy's, ships orbiting planets. They were just different colord dots. You can land on a planet and it switch to a map of the planet. In map of the planet mode you can fly around and check parts in a grid. I remember at one point your searching for pylons on some planet. A big part of the game was exploring planets and colleting clues and technology. I think the technology could be used to invent things. Thats all i can remember as far as gameplay.

Key points: During the game i believe you have advisors who give you help. I believe their was a military advisor and others, maybe medical, or political. One of the most most entertaining, awsome, and memerable parts of the game is that if you were slacking in a certain area, lets say your military skills sucked, they would have a video clip of your military advisor assassinate you . I remember one clip was a mutunous advisor walks in your quarter while your sleeping and shoots you will a pistol. Thier were many other ways entertaining videos of advisors killing you if you were slacking but i can't remember. At one point I went against some aliens that kepts killing all my ships and my advisor kept assassinating me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i hope it was enough

Trigga

P.S. please help, this is killing me
Triggatime is offline                         Send a private message to Triggatime
Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

May be Reunion or one of the Star Control games.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Definitely not the Star Control titles. They had no provision for advisors, much less ones that murdered you in your sleep.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Triggatime

no its not starcontrol or reunion. Although reunion does look a little bit similar. However when your actually on a planet its more like a big grid and Dune 1 type graphics than C&C or Dune 2. I dont think you actually build anything on any other planets, i think you just explore them for clues and resources.

I remember thinking it was the most awsome game when i was young. I would think that your own advisors killing you when you were messing up would be a give away as I've never seen something like that in a game.

Triggatime is offline                         Send a private message to Triggatime
Old 08-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Triggatime

Here are some games that I know are not it

Planets edge, Reunion, starcontrol, maelstrom, Supremacy/Overlord, Ascendancy,Master of Orion, Millennium - Return to Earth, star legions.

They do look similar based on the pics here in abandonia. I'm shocked how many very similar games their are but I'm certain these are not it.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #6
leileilol
Forum hobbit

could it be Command Adventures: Starship by Merit Software/Future Vision?
leileilol is offline                         Send a private message to leileilol
Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I remember a game called "Emperor of the Fading Suns". Might be that?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Triggatime

Its definitely not Emperor of the Fading Suns or Command Adventures: Starship
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
fmc83

Could it be Dark Universe???
that's the best picture I found, but you had some advisors, too. I just played it for some minutes and that years ago, so I can't say anything about the gameplay...

you can get it here (but I think it's in german)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Prototype-und-Dark-Univ...1QQcmdZViewItem
fmc83 is offline                         Send a private message to fmc83
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Nobody's mentioned StarFlight yet. I never played the game enough, but parts of your description smack of familiarity.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst