Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 15-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

there is probably no possibility how to sign the petition if i am not american, is there?=P
Old 15-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #22
a1s
Hero Gamer

surprisingly, no. :blink:

the things you can do (inculding #1- petitions)
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 15-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #23
SirPeter
Abandonia nerd

OK saw the video and to be honoust this is a non-discusion. Why? becourse if you know that your isp is doing crap like that then you change to another.

The isp's will cut into their own fingers if they do that and they will lose allot of customers.
SirPeter is offline                         Send a private message to SirPeter
Old 15-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #24
Shunk Eat Enemy
Game Wizzard

Ask a ninja what Net Neutrality is
Shunk Eat Enemy is offline                         Send a private message to Shunk Eat Enemy
Old 15-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #25
Stebbi
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Shunk Eat Enemy@May 15 2006, 07:27 PM
Ask a ninja what Net Neutrality is
Hahaha
Stebbi is offline                         Send a private message to Stebbi
Old 15-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by SirPeter@May 15 2006, 08:21 PM
OK saw the video and to be honoust this is a non-discusion. Why? becourse if you know that your isp is doing crap like that then you change to another.

The isp's will cut into their own fingers if they do that and they will lose allot of customers.
I disagree, I think the opposite would happen, the ISPs who do this are able to undercut those who don't. Those who do not take this course of action will be the ones cutting their fingers. It is simply the nature of the market for ISPs that the lowest priced ISPs are almost always the most popular (the demand is very price elastic, to use an economics term).

Like I said, letting market forces take thier course is very dangerous as there are so many factors to consider and they are so hard to measure.

Also, with regards to the US not controlling the internet, I'm pretty sure that the root servers for the internet are in the US (or something important like that, I don't know much about the details of how the internet works).

Anyway, regardless of this, there will be a "landslide effect". Add to this the fact that many of the msot popular websites are based in the US and this bill becomes a major thing.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 15-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #27
velik_m
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Havell+May 15 2006, 08:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Havell @ May 15 2006, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SirPeter@May 15 2006, 08:21 PM

I disagree, I think the opposite would happen, the ISPs who do this are able to undercut those who don't. Those who do not take this course of action will be the ones cutting their fingers. It is simply the nature of the market for ISPs that the lowest priced ISPs are almost always the most popular (the demand is very price elastic, to use an economics term)[/b][/quote]
so are you saying the quality of service is not important?
Old 15-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #28
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by velik_m@May 15 2006, 11:36 PM
so are you saying the quality of service is not important?
not really. would you rather have a DSL internet for 50$/month (well I don't know- the cost of 100 loafs of bread or something about that price range) or a modem (56kbps or even ISDN) one for free? given you're not a company or anything, just a regular user?
I know what my answer would be...
(given offcourse that the phone is free. In here that just isn't the case, which is why I switched to DSL in the first place).

BTW does anyone know where the "point" is located? and why the internet doesn't emmideitly fall apart when that server is down?
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 16-05-2006, 12:12 AM   #29
plix
Game freak

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@May 15 2006, 10:00 AM
First of all no, USA does not control the internet, but they were the ones who first put it into operation and still have most facilities (per capita) for it.
The US does control the internet. It's where it was developed, the US Department of Commerce is the one responsible for the existence of ICANN (and has demonstrated before that it has final say over the "international" body).

The root servers -- which is what were later referred to -- are also all owned and controlled by either the US Government (including the Department of Defense) or US companies (such as VeriSign, ISC, and ICANN). The root servers are the fundamental component of DNS (which I hopefully shouldn't have to explain) and are the ultimate authority. All DNS servers in the world contact one of the root servers to determine how to resolve domains. Even ccTLDs -- most of which are under control of the country to which they are assigned (or a company based in that country) -- are all dependant upon the root servers.

This has been a *major* source of concern lately in the international community with calls to shift control to the UN. While I do appreciate the pressure to internationalize control, this is a situation in which I side with the US fully and completely (at least for the time being). The US has demonstrated that while controlling what is probably the most crucial component of the modern net that they haven't attempted to control it in ways in which other countries would. For example, should control of the net shift to a country such as China or Germany, restrictions based upon laws in those countries could dramatically alter who is allowed to own/operate a domain or what domains are allowed to called/used for/etc (and before I catch flak, the German anti-Nazi law is what I have in mind).

The net works. While this is an important issue, I think it's a case of not fixing something that isn't broken.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 16-05-2006, 02:21 AM   #30
guesst
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by a1s@May 15 2006, 03:00 PM
tsmileyremoved: P.S. Laissez faire aproach works most of the time. as for the occasinal crisis that comes along evey 40-60 years (in accord with the "long waves" theory), that will need special measures. Think of it this way: most of the time the best you can do with a human organism is to leave it alone and let it work on it's own, however when it's serisoly sick you migh need to give it a series of antibiotic shots to send it on the way to recovery, and then, again, the best thing wiil be to let it lie there and eat soup.
Well, I think this may be a definite case of needing a shot of antibodies.

PS. Man this topic is moving fast.

PPS. Ever notice when those two smilies sync up their shouting. It's kinda cool. I hate smileys but here are the two that I'm talking about:
:Titan: :Brain:
See? It's cool when they both have their mouths open at the same time?
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst