Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Taskmaster
Super Freak

Thumbs up

Following up on a line of thinking in another thread (leeching from AB) I spent some time creating some example programs that could be included in each download to identify the provider (Abandonia), drive more traffic to the site and partially address leeching issues.

The "fancy" option, shown above (at a reduced size) is, of course, a larger foot print, weighing in a 620KB uncompressed and 233KB compressed. This might be acceptable when included in a larger download, such as MDK, which is already 80MB.

This is a Windows application with the text (what ever is decided) scrolling into the distance ala Star Wars. It looks pretty nice if I do say so myself.

The next option is still fairly nice, but not as graphics heavy, and thus requires a smaller foot print. Only 180KB uncompressed and 78KB compressed. Not a bad size considering that it is a Windows program. Clicking on the logo will launch the internet browser directly to Abandonia. Again the text shown is just my initial attempt at what could be displayed.

Another option, which is primitive, but still effective, would be a small batch file (1 or 2 KB) that simply uses "echo" to display some text. I do not know enough about Windows XP's DOS emulation to say if it has ANSI support built in or not. This means the text may be black and white - plain Jane. It could still be an option to get the mesage out and redirect folks who may be paying for a free download.

Feel free to toss out other options. These were the ones I thought of and could program on my own.

Is this something that would be of interest and worth pursuing further (i.e. some approved text), or not really of interest to folks (and Kosta)?