Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review

Last edited by Luchsen; 23-01-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 27-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Wat a great review...

My compliments to Marko River
Old 29-10-2004, 03:44 AM   #3
Guest_guest

@ the reviewer

ever played Operation Flashpoint? it's the most realistic infantry simulation game (with completely manable vehicles thrown in) released in the last 5 years, if you haven't already then I suggest you check it out.

even better is the fact that a sequal to it is coming out in two years.

Old 31-10-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
Dutchman

I bought Seal Team in the summer of 1993 when I was on vacation from school and had nothing better to do than chase Charlie around all day. I remember that to get it to work was a pain in the ass...I had run HIMEM and MEMMAKER and all sorts of programs just to free up the memory to get it to run.

When it did though, I was shocked...it was far more realistic than I had expected. I didn't quite grasp the "stealth" concept, so I'd always wonder what was wrong with me when I went dashing straight at the enemy and found myself getting killed each time.

I remember this was also the first game I had where I wasn't alone...I could call in airstrikes (a Huey with a door gunner, as I recall) if I got in deep trouble, though sometimes the Hueys would kill me instead.

I've had too many problems with DOSBOX to have the energy to try it again, but hopefully one day there will be another way for Seal Team to work on my computer. Those were good days back then, even if the "jungle" had hardly a tree in sight.

Old 31-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #5
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

A good game this reminds me of is SOCOM: U.S. NAVY SEALS.
That game is all about stealth.
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 01-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Navy Seals ey? That's just Electronic Arts, everything perfect, at least for the graphics. I hope it is abandonware.

Hey Dutchman, I need to ask you a stupid Q: Could it be that you STILL HAVE memaker? I now it is a bit silly...
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 07-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
william_is_bob

This game reminds me of Full Spectrum Warrior, and heck seal team is alot more playable than that, I remember, i cannot remember when was the last time I played this might be 15 years ago, but I would finish my mission and go out hunting for Charlie, and I pretty much memorised the whole map. I also remember that you can play the game over serial, which was great fun, throw flash grenade at one end of the village and have your friend at the other end with a M60. Personally I prefer to crawl up with a silencer and take out the target at <5m distance, that way you can carry a crap load of ammo.

I also remember a game similar to this, perhapes older, called gunboat, which was also awsome.

I sometime think that game maker today should jus take old titles and give it the 3D models and code upgrades. This game was alot more fun than medel of honor and shell shock Nam on the consules, which are retarded, I just rent the games, cheat, and just kill my way through in 3 hours and return it, get some kicks from the stupidness like flame thrower and the boom boom dollar and then cannot wait until the game ends.

W

Old 16-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
SEALTeam_CharlieEliminator2005

I managed to get the game to work on my Pentium 233.

It has a geniune Sound Blaster 16 (Plug and Play), with DOS support through DOS itself and Windows (3.x and 9.x) and the video card supports 32 bit color.

64 MB of RAM, QEMM 9.0 supporting the DOS memory with MagnaRAM running (Its QEMM's RAM doubler)

SEAL Team rocks on it, no problems with it.

Old 13-03-2005, 11:35 PM   #9
twinkletoes

This game was and IS (if anyone could get it to work) so eff-ing great. I would say that a large percentage of why I am an avid gamer years later is due to my mostly futile search for a modern game that recreates the environment this game provided. I have Vietcong, another great game, but it does not nearly accomplish what this game did. If they remade Vietcong so that the maps were 50km x 50km (instead of mostly broad trails that you have to follow, cleverly disguised in the terrain); the VC did not automatically know where you were once you got within 30 yards; and they were capturable; you could give your squad detailed commands/tasks, and they actually performed COMPETENTLY; you could place satchels wherever you wanted, you could choose your insertion/extraction point; you could choose between a 1st/3rd person perspective at will; you could view the exteriors of your multiple support aircraft as they flew and communicate with them; you could scare the enemy into surrendering or running away (sometimes bad when you need to capture them); your SQUADMATES COULD DIE WITHOUT HAVING TO BE SHOT 1000 TIMES, and when they did, the mission was FAR from over; you could CHOOSE your missions; you could choose your squad; you could receive medals and promotions; you could choose between all kinds of weapons W/O having to download some eff-ing add-on pack; you had multiple tours of duty; you could set up ambushes that required hours of waiting AND you could easily speed up time; you could run into a punji pit or tripwire without it automatically killing you and ending the mission; and you could torch villages (well, it's nice to have the OPTION, anyway), then Vietcong would come closer to being the kind of game SEAL Team is. But then they'd have to give up the rendering of every single leaf that is so precious to modern game designers. This game has DEPTH.

Old 14-03-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
goblins
Game Wizzard

very good game a bit dated graphics wise (im stating the obvious here LOL)
goblins is offline                         Send a private message to goblins