Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
jack07

Aha, I see.
jack07 is offline                         Send a private message to jack07
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
hunvagy
Thread Necromancer

Send a message via MSN to hunvagy

Just my five cents, but...

First, Wickis removed solution is not only dangerous, but utterly pointless. Don't mean to sound rude, but who in their right mind would use a 2-6 GB hibernation file as a snapshot for a game? Saves were invented for a reason, to like.. save your game. Save states in emulators are a nice gimmick, and possible because consoles fundamentally function differently from a PC. End of story.

As Fifth pointed out, the VPC solution is viable, but not very user friendly. Since you had to fight the exact same problems with older games you would in a real W98 environment. And using XP leads you back to square one. If that old game doesn't offer saving, then there's a password, or the game was meant to be played in one session, so tough it up. Creating VPC snapshots to "save state" in a 2 MB game doesn't seem really worth the time for me. But that's just IMO.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

I really have to agree with Hun, it's a really cool idea, but I think I will stick with the in game options.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

There might be a memory editor that allows dumping the contents of a processes' RAM to a file and loading them back. Probably.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
jack07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunvagy View Post
As Fifth pointed out, the VPC solution is viable, but not very user friendly. Since you had to fight the exact same problems with older games you would in a real W98 environment. And using XP leads you back to square one. If that old game doesn't offer saving, then there's a password, or the game was meant to be played in one session, so tough it up. Creating VPC snapshots to "save state" in a 2 MB game doesn't seem really worth the time for me. But that's just IMO.
Well, I haven't used other virtual machines so far and I have to say I'm pretty happy with Virtual PC.

I believe other virtual machines are a better choice for testing operating systems, since they support more features (like shared folder, USB drives, etc.). But for playing and saving old school games - Virtual PC gets the job done just fine.

It has a minimalistic user interface, which is very easy to use. After you hide the menu bars, it's basically like playing a game in a windowed mode. When you close the window the game saves. Which is all you need.

As for the need for saving the game's state - it can be very important in my opinion. This trick can come in handy when playing long games (like Amazing Spiderman), which are nearly impossible to complete otherwise. Furthermore, you can save a particular mission in a game with non-linear story line (like GTA1) and test different outcomes.

Last edited by jack07; 01-06-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
jack07

I've got a question
Will majority of the games found on Abandonia work on Windows 95?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #17
dosraider
Dismembered.

Why don't you try those you want to play on W95?
Some will, some won't, for some you will have to reboot in dosmode....

But if dosgaming is your goal in VPC why don't you install MsDos in VPC?
Works fine (ahwell, it's not as flexible/compatible as dosbox, but if you want savestates ...)

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
jack07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
Why don't you try those you want to play on W95?
But if dosgaming is your goal in VPC why don't you install MsDos in VPC?
Good idea! But I don't know how to use MsDos ...

Does it recognize CDs? How and where do you copy the game files?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack07 View Post
Does it recognize CDs?
Of course, if you install the CD drivers ..... *sigh*
Or in VPC simply install the MsDos addons, but those are not included in VPC2007, you can get the floppy image from VPC2004, they work fine in VPC2007/MsDos.
Some pluspoints of th MsDos addons:
-> adds CD access
-> adds better S3 graphs
-> adds mouse support
-> adds SB 16 ISA support.( IRQ 5! )

But ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack07 View Post
Good idea! But I don't know how to use MsDos ...
<- this one runs away, I'm outta of here, if you want something: LEARN, there are enough full featured tuto sites for MsDos on TeH intehnet.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

MsDOS is a very simple, and powerful, operating system. If we still ran it on the computers we have today - blame Bill Gates - said computers would be fricking awesomely fast. Possibly mainly due to the absence of Outlook. It's the difference between SQL and MS Access. Access is designed to be pretty and showy and easy, but if you want versatility and power and simplicity, SQL's yr man.

If you want to learn MsDOS, be prepared to learn from scratch. I personally don't miss DOS much, but once you know the syntax you're fine. Don't ask for general help. It's like saying, wow, what a nice set of Encyclopedias. What's in all of them? You may just get a boot to the head. If you want to do stuff the fancy way, be prepared to do your own donkey-work. Simple and suited to your needs is the best option, always. Occam's razor's sharp - you don't wanna cut yourself.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete