Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

Default Cellar thoughts.

Now that the ISO cellar is open to all, does it make sense to host reviews, screen shots and extras for those games? We could probably garner more interest from people willing to do reviews, screen shots, box shots etc for some of the newer games on the site. There are some games on there that I have never played. I think it would be a nice touch to have a game page for them when someone is willing to put in the work. Just a thought.

I have quite a lot of games that I could contribute to the ISO cellar. What seems to be the best file hosting site these days?
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 28-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Ermuli
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
What seems to be the best file hosting site these days?
Definitely NOT 4shared!
Ermuli is offline                         Send a private message to Ermuli
Old 28-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

One can write reviews, make screenshots and upload extras for ISO Cellar games since the ISO Cellar is up. They would be added to the respective ISO Cellar thread. If you want to have game entries on the main site, I would be all for it - if we made a button GET IT AT A FILEHOST! and if we could guarantee that the files are downloadable. The latter isn't possible or rather would involve a lot of work we can't provide - at least permanently.
Old 28-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Is it possible that a paid file hosting account could handle the traffic? Paid for in the send of one individuals account, not a commercial one.
Old 28-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Idea 2: Torrents?
Old 28-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Finn MacCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchsen View Post
One can write reviews, make screenshots and upload extras for ISO Cellar games since the ISO Cellar is up. They would be added to the respective ISO Cellar thread. If you want to have game entries on the main site, I would be all for it - if we made a button GET IT AT A FILEHOST! and if we could guarantee that the files are downloadable. The latter isn't possible or rather would involve a lot of work we can't provide - at least permanently.
wouldn't it suffice to integrate a "report missing/broken download" option?
that would leave us only with the work of reuploading the stuff.
Finn MacCool is offline                         Send a private message to Finn MacCool
Old 28-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I'd like a 'submit a review' page with captcha. We can prioritise reviews for approved games in the iso cellar over sold games, for instance. But we can start accepting all reviews for all games, and archiving them. We already have reviews in Community Reviews for a lot of these games. And then we need extra updater trainees. We need a greater incentive scheme, people. But what possible incentives can we use? VGA style medals and more interesting ranks?

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 28-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

There are two things I'd like to say about this:

1. The idea of setting up AB's torrent trackers simply sounds beautiful, Lulu. Seriously, that option seems to be quite good, the only problem is, there had to be seeders in order to provide downloads, but we might monitor the traffic and reward those who seed a lot, if it's technically possible.

2. Incentives, arete? I had been working for a handful of pixels for more than a year now, so I know what they mean. More interesting ranks? Maybe. What would be the best I think would be a 'Hall of Fame', where we could list those who contributed to the site the most, and maybe we could start some kind of 'User of the Month' contest or something, so even the new folks would feel they can still do something useful along with our updatergods. Their reward would be an 'Official News' posted on the main site praising their holy blessed superskills and such.

P.S.: Is there any kind of scheme for PoE rewards? I mean, a list which lists how much you get for a review/upload/screenshot etc?

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!

Last edited by Tracker; 28-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 28-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Actually, torrents aren't my idea, they've been brought up by other users in the past, but now could be a great time to look seriously into it again

EDIT: Also, I am really up for the idea of celebrating user/member accomplishments via frontpage newsposts. I think it's a great way to foster community spirit, and it's way more of a tangible reward than poe's. Besides, I'd have a heap of fun writing them

Last edited by Lulu_Jane; 28-05-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Lulu_Jane is offline                         Send a private message to Lulu_Jane
Old 28-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

We used to have a lady at our church who would say, "He who gets the vision gets the job." To the Bulumobile! (Now with new added raptor scent.)

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete