Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 24-01-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 28-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Jack Swift

Clunky controls. And a game like this can nowadays be made in a couple of hours. It's like a prehistoric loderunner.

I can't hear any of the sounds. (system sounds?) I have the same problem with the wasteland. I just don't know where I can find system sound-settings. I'm on WinXP. Help?
Jack Swift is offline                         Send a private message to Jack Swift
Old 28-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Guest_Somnolik

From the review:
Quote:
A few beeps from the internal speaker (or emulated speaker in DOSBox) and CGA graphics with, as a matter of fact, hardly any details.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game seems to feature EGA graphics - CGA has only four colours (black, white, cyan, magenta), EGA sixteen, as far as I know.

Regards,
Somnolik

Old 28-10-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
swiss
who's not Swiss

Quote:
Originally posted by Guest_Somnolik@Oct 28 2005, 04:58 PM
From the review:
Quote:
A few beeps from the internal speaker (or emulated speaker in DOSBox) and CGA graphics with, as a matter of fact, hardly any details.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game seems to feature EGA graphics - CGA has only four colours (black, white, cyan, magenta), EGA sixteen, as far as I know.

Regards,
Somnolik
When I count the color I come to 4 and I am quite sure that CGA didn't have the fixed palette of magenta cyan black and white...

Why do you all give so few points to the game ? This is marvellous! And it doesn't count how many hours it would take today to make such a game. If you google a bit you'll find out that this game was made just for fun and that John Romero just wanted to show his friend some programing tricks (and speed).

Think what you like ... this game deserves a place in the hall of fame!
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 28-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Sorry to say, but quite a few great games have lousy public rating.

Anyway - the reason I gave it only a 4 is that it reminds me too much of Crystal Castles (although there are enough differences and Crystal Castle - for C64 - was a much older game).

It's still a lot of fun and that's what games are suppose to be - FUN (that's the aspect that's been completely forgoten in the modern gaming industry and the reason so many flash remakes are out there).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 28-10-2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
Originally posted by swiss@Oct 28 2005, 11:18 AM
When I count the color I come to 4 and I am quite sure that CGA didn't have the fixed palette of magenta cyan black and white...
That's right. CGA had two "official" four-color palettes and a few unofficial ones as well.
Old 28-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
Romero

Yes, it's CGA. But if you have an EGA card or better you can change the standard CGA colors to ones you like, which is what i did when i found out how to do it while coding PoE.

Pyramids of Egypt is really a port of the old 1985 Apple II version I wrote. And in 1988 I did a C64 version of it but lost the disk. So only the original 1985 Apple II version and 1990 PC version exist.

On my personal website I have a GAMES section that lists all the games i've personally made/worked on (there are many more that i've been involved with) and i haven't made the PoE page yet.......but i will someday.

k:
Romero is offline                         Send a private message to Romero
Old 29-10-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Good grief! Are you really *the* Romero? :blink: And you were involved with the making of Doom? I noticed they've been advertising the movie version of the game in Australia lately. It looks like a terrific production.

Well, welcome to Abandonia, John. You must have been chuffed by Swiss's rave review and high rating for PoE.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 29-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #9
swiss
who's not Swiss

YAY! Probably I made the legendary Mr. DOOM come to this page ... :Brain:

Nice to have you around! It's always a pleasure when a programmer comes to say something about his stuff .. wowo ... we should make an interview and ... pictures ... and ... a ... movie ... errr ,,, ... *faint*

just kidding, is it OK for you that we host your game here ?
swiss is offline                         Send a private message to swiss
Old 30-10-2005, 04:17 AM   #10
good idea oh lord

@ wendymaree: Well, if you know how he met his wife, then you know that from time to time he does answer his fans. But - too late.

@ swiss: I do agree with the 5 points but IMHO
some questions really want to remain unasked.

Anyway, I suppose originally the game was called "Indiana Mike the Explorer" considering it was published only 3 years after a certain blockbuster movie - can't remember the name.

And I must say it reminds me a bit of another ingenious game that was published 5 years later by Keith Schuler called Paganitzu (the game, not Keith). It is still sold (and really worth the 10 bucks), so no chance for abandon sites, but the free shareware version contains 20 levels in high-end EGA.

So, if you finished the 100 levels of PoE, you may want to have a look here:

www.3drealms.com/paganitzu/