Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #771
-Catwalk-

russ, I'd like to send a PM to all users who have posted about Master of Magic stuff as they might be interested in what we have to offer:
- an ambitious project to fix most known bugs and improve the AI + interface
- a project to rebalance all aspects of the game while staying true to the core
- active discussions on strategy and modding
- a tournament about to start up

Would PMing them be crossing the line? I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, I'm just very keen on spreading the word as we have a good thing going.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #772
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Mass PMing other users is a no. Post it here in this topic.
If it looks like something worthwhile, we might do a few things to spread the word.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #773
Japo
Autonomous human

EDIT: late

I don't think unsolicited messages is a good idea, on principle. (In practice it would be up to each addressee to report it as spam or not, but one would be enough.)

You can make a post here or even a thread in Favourites if you want (I don't think anyone will complain), they will read it sooner than later.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #774
-Catwalk-

I'd put it in my signature and just be active, but I can't register :P

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make some threads about it.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #775
-Catwalk-

Damn, can't make new threads while unregistered either :P Oh well, bedtime for me.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #776
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Post in this thread; I can copy it to a new thread in any part of the board.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #777
Pex
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Catwalk- View Post
Concerning races, these are the values I've assigned to racial strength for the tournament game being launched at dragonsword.com:
5: Halflings
4: Nomads, High Elves
3: High Men
2: Barbarians, Klackons, Orcs
1: Lizardmen (move up to 2 if playing on a map with Small land mass), Gnolls

High Men are much stronger than you give them credit for. Pikemen, Priests, Magicians and Paladins are all excellent units. Compare with Orcs and High Men blow them out of the water.
Pikemen and Priests - ok, but as for Magician and Paladins it takes ages for you to be able to produce them. By that stage, most of the other races have cool units too, or you are powerful enough Wizard with good heroes that you don't care about what units you can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrubb View Post
@Pex
Psionic Blast: it was not mentioned - it is better than Fire bolt because the $attack ignores armor (no shields blocking). The help texts are incredibly confusing, the attack should be called "illusionary". Per consequence, the immunity to illusions (undead units f.e.) makes the unit immune to Psionic blast.
I guess that's what they meant with 'non-corporeal' attack. Ok, that's good enough to explain cost difference.

Quote:
Please, try reading the FAQ by Dan Simpson, if you want to know a lot about the game. You may find the big guide copy on the site mentioned here previously, too. A lot of pages pdf, but it has an index and almost 100% reliable, complete info on just about anything in the game.
I'll give it a try, next time I decide to play MoM. To be honest, I haven't played it for ages now.

Btw, there's something I wanted to ask you guys. If you select 'Alchemy' trait, all your troops start with magical weapons. But, if your city has an access to mithril deposit, you still don't get mithril weapons unless you have Alchemist Guild in the city as well. Do you think that's a deliberate feature or a bug?

Also, do your long range weapons count as magical as well or only melee ones?

Last edited by Pex; 07-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Pex is offline                         Send a private message to Pex
Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #778
Oso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Btw, there's something I wanted to ask you guys. If you select 'Alchemy' trait, all your troops start with magical weapons. But, if your city has an access to mithril deposit, you still don't get mithril weapons unless you have Alchemist Guild in the city as well. Do you think that's a deliberate feature or a bug?
I'm guessing here (and this is just my personal opinion) I think it was meant to be that way. I had always thought that alchemy was one of the least useful skills but placed there for the races that can't make Alchemist's Guilds(Trolls come to mind right off the bat), making those races capable of hitting lairs and such that had units with weapons immunity.

Lately, since I have started replaying MoM some, I have found that skill somewhat more useful. Not so much with the bump it give to weapons but by taking a high money producing race and switching all my mana income to research and spell skill as soon as feasible and converting gold to restock my mana reserves. (I mostly like playing long games and winning with the Spell of Mastery.)
Oso is offline                         Send a private message to Oso
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #779
-Catwalk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pex View Post
Pikemen and Priests - ok, but as for Magician and Paladins it takes ages for you to be able to produce them. By that stage, most of the other races have cool units too, or you are powerful enough Wizard with good heroes that you don't care about what units you can make.
While I agree that Paladins and Magicians are not that hot overall because of building requirements, it's still a major improvement over Orcs who have nothing useful that High Men don't have. And if you have high income from other cities, you can sacrifice development at those cities in exchange for high end units in a single city.
Quote:
I'll give it a try, next time I decide to play MoM. To be honest, I haven't played it for ages now.
Come play in my tournament It can be found here.
Quote:
Quite certain that's a deliberate feature. And it also has the effect of making Alchemist's Guild play a role even if you have Alchemy.
Quote:
Also, do your long range weapons count as magical as well or only melee ones?
All bow and sling attacks get the +1 bonus from magical weapons as well. Ranged magic attacks do not.

How useful Alchemy is has a lot to do with your approach to army building. If you're going for 1-2 production centres producing high end units then it's of lesser use. If you're going for a large number of production centres producing low end units then it's massively useful. And regardless, the conversion bonus is extremely valuable.

Thanks horseman, I'll type up a post about it.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #780
-Catwalk-
Default New Master of Magic community

For The Fifth Horseman:

Dragon Sword (dragonsword.com) was started up almost a year ago by Flash to be an eternal torch for the Master of Magic flame. The site has grown steadily since then, and we now have an active community with a number of features for incarnated fans:
- A patch being coded by kyrub to enhance the AI, improve the interface and squash all known bugs. A test version has just been released for public consumption after many months of hard work.
- A mod being coded by Catwalk to rebalance the game for greater challenge and diversity. Input is most welcome, and if you're interested in helping there are a few parts in need of assistance.
- Large collection of MoM resources.
- A newly launched tournament where all players race to win the game fastest, all playing the same starting position but being allowed to customize your own wizard for it.
- Active forum with lively discussions about anything MoM related.

We hope you'll drop by and check us out, please take the time to register if you find it interesting.