Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #21
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

PC 1
Efthimios 0

I can't for the life of me unscrew the small panel at the back of the case so that the mainboard fits in properly. It is just two screws and I can't make it. I am leaving to buy a pair of pliers to hold the screwdriver with. You will not defeat me, case!
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 21-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #22
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

HA! A tie!
PC 1
Efthimios 1

After hours trying to find a place that sells pliers, made it back and I am ready to continue, after having some chicken nuggets and chips first.
I am doing well, with this rate I will finish building it by sometime Christmas 2006.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 21-12-2005, 06:36 PM   #23
troop18546
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios+Dec 20 2005, 03:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (efthimios @ Dec 20 2005, 03:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Blood-Pigggy@Dec 20 2005, 01:25 AM
Mind giving us the specs?

I'm happy for you, bet you can't wait to try out stuff like Doom 3 or Civilization 4.
Perhaps even Half-Life 2.
Believe me, getting a new PC is magic, you open up a new world of gaming.
Well, not Half Life 2 since I am not going to support Steam, but the rest, yes! Though I spend so much money on it I don't know if I will be able to actualy buy more than a couple games for a while LOL.

I include a screenshot of the specs. Now, yes it is expensive, but I will also use it for some work and I will not buy another one for years.

Though I am thinking of getting a tv tuner. [/b][/quote]
Muthaf*cka...
(Damn good PC).
troop18546 is offline                         Send a private message to troop18546
Old 21-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #24
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thank you

I do wonder when my mouse will arrive though. (Bought it from another company, it is a logitech mx1000 (the lazer or something one) )

Update, the mainboard is in its place!!!
I am doing this very slowly now, reading the manuals at the same time etc, though it will take me a couple more hours to finish, I hope I will manage for once to have a PC run the first time I switch it on, which I have to say might manage to do so with this mainboard. For the first time in ever, I have seen one with so clear as to what is, both on the board itself and on the manual.

I do have one possibly bad news regarding it though. When I took the mainboard out of its bag, I saw a jumper plasticky thing (switch or whatever it is called, the one that you can place on the jumpers), which had apparently left its place somehow. Well, I find out that it is the one that was going on the jumper for the SATA number 7, and it broke off instead of just coming out. Now, I am not going to use as many devices to need 8 SATA devices, I have just two hard drives (The DVD uses just ATA, right?), but I am worried that it might affect the board somehow. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Old 21-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #25
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think I am too stupid, or grew too old. There are like a million cables, fun this, fun that, meter one, two, 3342, and the *dirty word* power cable will not completely enter the psu and click as it is supposed to. I think I should have paid a 12 yo some money to build it for me. Why don't you *dirty word* cable enter all the way????????????????

So, any bets as to when I will finish with the hardware installation of everything and ready to power it up? The time now here is 2103. When do you think I will finish with it?
Old 21-12-2005, 11:40 PM   #26
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

I'm betting sometime by tomorrow morning. I think you're just tired and frustrated at the moment, Christmas can do that sometimes. Just don't snap and go sledgehammer style kung-fu on the system (although you could claim it came that way ).
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin
Old 22-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #27
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Me, lose my temper? NEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEER!!! :w00t:

The time now is 0130. The system is ready to get some juice. Though if it will actualy work is another matter. I know I am going to regret saying this, but, I am afraid of the tiny cables for the HDD LED and POWER SW etc, I am sure I haven't placed them correctly.

I will try to make some space on my small desk and see how it goes. I will leave my laptop on so I will be online.
To be exact, first I have to 1) open the box of the monitor, 2) open the UPS, 3) Make a slipstream version of xp, 4) find the key of the xp that I haven't used for ages.

Back....soon.
Old 22-12-2005, 02:00 AM   #28
Ioncannon
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via MSN to Ioncannon

hmm I friggen HATE steam, I preffer the old WON system better =(
Ioncannon is offline                         Send a private message to Ioncannon
Old 22-12-2005, 06:13 AM   #29
Evad
Game freak

Cable won't click all the way in??? That's wierd. I'm guessing it came with the psu so why wouldn't it?? I really think they make this stuff as un-userfriendly as possible. Good luck.

@last post, I didn't mind WON, except for those sessions were you'd have to try logging in like 200 times cause it keeps telling you that your legitimate cd key is in use!!!!
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 22-12-2005, 09:46 PM   #30
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Back, though, not as soon as I was hoping.

The PC did not work. The mainboard's LED of "mainboard in standby" was lit, so I knew it was getting some power. Everything looked ok from the outside but the monitor would get no signal. My first thoughts were of checking the connections to the graphics card and the monitor. Nothing. Changed the video out of the card (it has two dvi), still nothing. Tried the DVI->VGA adaptor and connected it to the monitor's VGA-in , nothing.
I, was, getting, annoyed. It was getting very late, and at arround 4 something am I decided to remove everything from the PC but the mainboard.

Nothing.

So, the mainboard has a 24 pin connector for the main 12V power, but the power supply has this 20+4 pin(s) so that you can plug in to both 20 pin and 24 pin mainboards. I did all of them, though the last 4 were not fit correctly, I think. I also checked the leds on the bottom of the mainboard with the manual, and it would stop when doing the memory checking.

So, I unplugged the last 4 pins for the power from the mainboard, and also remobed the memory. The PC would power up this time properly with the PSU running, but of course, nothing more....I placed on of the dimms in, nothing. I put the dimm in the second slot of the first channel, it worked!, bios and all. I put the second dimm in the second slot of the second channel and it worked! For some reason the first two slots do not work, or something with my memory.

Anyway, I went to bed and formated the first drive earlier and installed windows xp sp2 (slipstreamed). .....

Good thing of course, is that I also went out earlier and bought a couple of games in very good price.
Area 51, Act of war, silent hunter iii. fear, heroes of the pacific, pacific fighters.

Still, the first game I will try to run on it will be a DOS game.