Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #11
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by efthimios@Dec 19 2005, 09:07 PM

EDIT: You know, I am worried a tiny bit that the 500W supply might not be enough. :blink:
I'm not disagreeing with your choice, I'm just wondering why.

As for the 500W, you should make sure with someone you might know that could most likely figure out the best stats, or any hardware technician.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 20-12-2005, 02:15 AM   #12
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

Just curious, what made you decide to go with a dual core system rather than going with a pair of opteron (240 series)? I recently did an upgrade and pondered going dual processor, but the case style that I really wanted didn't have the room (and possibly heat-dump). Beautiful system by the way.
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin
Old 20-12-2005, 02:20 AM   #13
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thank you for your comments.

I didn't go for Opterons because I simply did not considered them at all. No specific reason, just like that. :blink: More to think of it, wouldn't two opterons need even more cooling?

I went for a dual core for two main reasons. 1)I am planning to do some medium to heavy video editing on it. 2) I am sick of the delay that you get at times on single core cpus on certain circumstances. I won't go in detail to not make anyone die from boredom.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 20-12-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
Evad
Game freak

Try out this link. There is a calculator to find out power consumtion.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 20-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Thanks. k:
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 20-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #16
Galadrin
Abandonia nerd

I understand entirely about the processor issues, that's why I wanted to go dual opterons in the first place . And yes, they would have had considerable heat issues, that's why I went with a single processor because even though my prescious Tenor case is a thing of beauty (IMHO) and fits ever so nicely into my entertainment centre it probably would have been even more crowded inside and had more heat issues.
Galadrin is offline                         Send a private message to Galadrin
Old 20-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #17
Evad
Game freak

no prob. I'm glag I found it as well. Says I need minimum of 289. I'm guessing yours is close to 450!! LOL
Evad is offline                         Send a private message to Evad
Old 20-12-2005, 11:50 PM   #18
Belfegor

Quote:
Originally posted by Evad@Dec 20 2005, 11:41 AM
Try out this link. There is a calculator to find out power consumtion.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
=) I need 320Watt. :blink:
Well I read Gainward´s homesite. And their stats on my 3D card is much higher. (Watt) And it needs more watt when I overclock :whistle:
Anyway. Thx for the good site. Will bookmark it
Old 21-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #19
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadrin@Dec 20 2005, 07:55 PM
I understand entirely about the processor issues, that's why I wanted to go dual opterons in the first place . And yes, they would have had considerable heat issues, that's why I went with a single processor because even though my prescious Tenor case is a thing of beauty (IMHO) and fits ever so nicely into my entertainment centre it probably would have been even more crowded inside and had more heat issues.
Yes. :bleh:

According to the company the order left the business sometime early (before noon) on the 20th (FAST!) and they are sending it with Parceforce 24, which is amazing because it means it will arrive here today 21st (it is 0217 now), or at the latest (because Aberystwyth is a few miles after hell's end in terms of how easy is to get here from the rest of the UK) on the 22nd.

The mouse that I bought from another company hasn't been sent yet, which is annoying, but I guess I will have to install my current mx500 for a day. I can live with that. :-p

I am soooo excited with this, if all go well then for the first few days I will try games that I own that I wasn't able to play at high quality, then demos of games that I couldn't play at all (Far Cry for example).

The watt test said I will need a 360 or something, approximately since they didn't have the exact components (didn't have for example the x1x series of graphics cards or the cpu I am getting). Still, I doubt it will go too far over that, perhaps 400 or so at worst. Which is a bit lower than 500. :-p

Old 21-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #20
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

The new PC arrived!!! Well, the parts for it anyway, going to spend the next few hours to build it and all. :-)