Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Default Anime style shareware fantasy TBS (Windows)

I haven't actually played this game, but a person in another forums was looking for it, and I got interested as well.

Apparently he got the game from a cover disk of UK PC Gamer Magazine, somewhere around 2008-2009. In short, it's a 2D, fantasy turn-based strategy game, either shareware or a demo of a commercial game. He described the graphics as anime style, and resembling the Heroes of Might and Magic series, except that there are no heroes, and each unit moves individually. The player could capture buildings to increase income, and some units could cast spells. Also, there might have been a hex-grid.

Here's a post this guy made in the official PC Gamer Magazine forums (grabbed it from Google cache):
Quote:
Hi, I'm New- but not to the Magazine!.... Help needed!
Hi, as the Title implies, I am new to these forums, but NOT to the magazine, I've been buying it for a long time since middle 2000s, and I have got many copies of the favourite mag so far- but - I recentely had to move around UK too Much- and well, my Discs from PCG were lost.
Now, I am not Asking you to upload the contents of the Discs, any games, tools, cracks, demos- Not even the disc number!
I merely request someone to aid me with finding a game I played after I got it from the PCG Disc. That is: a Turn- based strategy, in fantasy style, shareware (as far as I remember)
Oh, and apparentely it's indie, but I am not sure.
I have been buying the PCG issues since around 2004- 2005 till this year, and- well, I do not remember exactly which year or month this game's disc was in, but It is approximately 2008-2009 period.
So, Please PLEASE those of you resourceful lot who have the ability to browse through the discs, PLEASE take some time to write out all games on the discs (Just the names for demos and indies) for these years (at least 2008- 2009)
Or if you know which game it is (i'll put the Specs below) please tell me!

The game is:
2D Turn- based strategy
fantasy style (even Anime, if I remember it right- not sure Though)
has druids and angels- like units, as well as knights, etc.
without a hero (again, cant say for sure, but u cant play as the "main character"
Gold is the only resource.

Now, please PLEASE help me, would be much appreciated.

PS. Im new to forums, so sry if i posted this in the wrong section, pls feel free to move this thread around
This game is not The Battle of Wesnoth, and also not Legendary Legions or Styrateg (although that guy says the visuals in those are rather similar), Leylines, Continents or Battles of Norghan.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

It sounds like one of the Warlords series, probably the very first Warlords from 1990 or Warlords II. I could see where the comparison with anime graphics would be coming from with that, though it's not anime.
Not exactly sure anymore, but I think there were Angel units in the first Warlords game, as much as Giants, Wizards, Pikemen, maybe Knights, and more. Gold being the only income also fits as much as I remember.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 07-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Sounds like King's Bounty: Legend to me?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
It sounds like one of the Warlords series, probably the very first Warlords from 1990 or Warlords II. I could see where the comparison with anime graphics would be coming from with that, though it's not anime.
From what that guy posted, I gather it was a new game, and for Windows, so it's probably not the early Warlords games (although the description fits them for the most part). Also, IIRC individual units can't cast spells in Warlords games.

It's also not Age of Wonders or Disciples series games, as someone suggested in another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Sounds like King's Bounty: Legend to me?
The game in question is not 3D. Also, the new King's Bounty titles have HoMM-like hero party movement, whereas the game in question has individual unit movement, like in The Battle for Wesnoth.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Can it be Fantasy Wars?
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
MrFlibble
Abandonia Homie

Thanks for the tip, that game looks interesting, but it's 3D? The game the original guy was looking for is with 2D sprites, looking like The Battle for Wesnoth and Styrateg.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Ouch. I missed "2d" bit of info. Well, then I am out of guesses. Everything that I know either too old (Fantasy General) or too different (Dominions)... passing.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
Ouch. I missed "2d" bit of info. Well, then I am out of guesses. Everything that I know either too old (Fantasy General) or too different (Dominions)... passing.
Maybe it's the other game from Illwinter - Conquest of Elysium?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

How about these two?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...on/screenshots
http://www.slitherine.com/games/conquest_pc/

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Ouch. I remembered Armageddon Empires, but totally forgot about Solium Infernum! In my defence I can say that it's not anime at all.

And Conquest? Wow, Slay on steroids? I am intrigued how good it worked out...

TotalAnarchy, CoE2 looks too poor, and CoE3 is too new... Well, CoE2 can do the trick neverless. But barely.