Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 19-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
Tito
Alley Cat

Today I've been wondering if, thanks to the fact that I've been playing computer games for almost 20 years, I would be an experienced gamer or just an amateur. And to check that out, nothing better that to count how many games on Abandonia I have finished (yeah, I've got plenty of time since I'm unemployed).

And the glorious result: 42 games lie at my feet, almost all of them without walkthroughs and when they were released.

How about you, guys? Am I a rough veteran or just a begginer?
Old 19-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

It's not the quantity of the games you played that matters, but how good you are with a particular game. Can you claim without lying that you are better in every one of those 42 games than others? Or even just in one of them? Don't be so quick to think you're a veteran
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 20-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Cosmonaut_Roger
Abandonia nerd

Hmm...I definetely haven't finished 42 different games on Abandonia. I can't really take the time to count right now, but it might be somwhere around 10-15. I don't finish many games, but I play a lot. I've got a pretty collection of old and new PC games, mostly old. In fact, one of my goals this year is to play a whole bunch of older games from the 90s that I missed the first time around.
Cosmonaut_Roger is offline                         Send a private message to Cosmonaut_Roger
Old 20-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Tito
Alley Cat

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Feb 20 2007, 01:18 AM) [snapback]280064[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
It's not the quantity of the games you played that matters, but how good you are with a particular game. Can you claim without lying that you are better in every one of those 42 games than others? Or even just in one of them? Don't be so quick to think you're a veteran
[/b]
:blink: I haven't thought it that way. Anyway, I can say I'm very good at some games (Goldeneye and Time Crisis come to my mind) but for the ones in Abandonia, I don't think you can apply that measurement. That is, how are you supposed to be the best player of Loom of Monkey Island? You finish them (and I've done it about 6 or 7 times with those two in particular) or you don't.

Also, there are those games such as Stunts or Sim City 2000 that you can't actually finish, but I've counted them because I thought I had quite mastered them.

Edit: Anyway, this is not a competition. It is just curiosity about other peoples experieces compared to mine.
Old 20-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Games on Abandonia that I finished from start to finish:

Action

Cannon Fodder
Doom II
Jungle Strike (Sega Genesis version)
Prince of Persia
Rampart (Sega Genesis or SNES version)
Raptor
Terminal Velocity

Adventure

None! Hardly ever played them too.

Arcade

Alien Carnage - Halloween Harry
Bubble Bobble (NES version)
Golden Axe (Sega Genesis version)
Jetpack
Mario Brothers VGA (Atari version, can't really be "finished")
One Must Fall 2097
Rampage (NES version)

Puzzle

Castle of Dr. Brain
Chip's Challenge
Tetris Classic (considered it finished when I had all the best scores spots. :P)
When in the World is Carmen Sandiego Deluxe

Racing

Ford Simulator 5
Ironman (can't really be "finished")
Nascar Racing
Outrun
Skyroads 3D
Street Rod 2
Stunts (ended all races way ahead of best opponent)

RPG

Krynn triology Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn
Dink Smallwood

Simulation

X-Wing Collectors Edition
Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows

Sports

4D Sports Boxing
NHL Hockey '93

Strategy

Armor Alley
Ascendancy
Castles
Castle II: Siege and Conquest
Civilization
Civilization II
Colonization (first game I ever purchased myself)
Command & Conquer
Dune II
Gemfire (NES, SNES or Sega Genesis version)
Jagged Alliance
Kings Bounty (Sega Genesis version)
Master of Orion
Netstorms, Islands at War (Single and multiplayers)
Populous (NES version)
The Settlers
The Settlers II Gold
Stronghold
Syndicate
UFO: Ennemy Unknown
Xcom: Terror from the Deep
Xcom: Apocalypse
Warcraft: Orc & Humans

Text Based

None. Not even ADOM.

Board

None

The Crypt

Burger Time (Coleco Vision version)
Dig Dug (Atari version)
Lode Runner (NES version)

... phew. In total, this give out 59 games displayed on Abandonia that I played to the end or finished... Not counting countless others that I played but never finished.

... I need a break. :P

BTW, I also have about 20 years of gaming under my belt. Started playing games on my ColecoVision when I was about 4 or 5...
Old 20-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
jg007
Super Freak

Quote:

:blink: I haven't thought it that way. Anyway, I can say I'm very good at some games (Goldeneye and Time Crisis come to my mind) but for the ones in Abandonia, I don't think you can apply that measurement. That is, how are you supposed to be the best player of Loom of Monkey Island? You finish them (and I've done it about 6 or 7 times with those two in particular) or you don't.

[/b]
hmm, i did enjoy monkey island but not sure why you'd play it 6-7 times???, but then I only tend to watch films once or twice at most and the ONLY books I read again are the TP ones

difficult to remember and list really as I have been playing for a while but must be well over 50.

a few - countdown,populous, prince of persia, street fighter 2, double dragon, lemmings, command and conquer, doom 1 & 2, gabriel knight 1&2 , DOTT, sam n max, several kings quests, several leisure suit larrys, return to zork, halloween harry , several keens, Monkey island 1+2+3, ecoquest, duke nuken, jazz jackrabbit , full throttle, captain comic, electroman. think thats about enough to list and all played when they were first released!
jg007 is offline                         Send a private message to jg007
Old 20-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Tito
Alley Cat

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jg007 @ Feb 20 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]280263[/snapback]</div>
Quote:

hmm, i did enjoy monkey island but not sure why you'd play it 6-7 times???, but then I only tend to watch films once or twice at most and the ONLY books I read again are the TP ones

[/b]
Well, I loved them so much that it was a pleasure to play them again and again. There was always something you had forgotten over time, or a new option in a conversation that gave place to a joke you had missed.

About Eagle of Fire's list, what a huge amount of games and of work, to link every one of them to the post. Tomorrow, as I assume I will still have this damn cold, I'll try to make a similar list (but with no links, I'm afraid).