Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old News
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #31
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Dec 14 2006, 01:30 AM) [snapback]271618[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yes the point is that what is legalized --in some cases-- is archiving some software, not running it, if I haven't taken it wrong in the end.
[/b]
Well, the way I understand it, it does mean you'd be allowed to create a ROM of, say, an NES game you already own and run it on your computer. But the point is that you still have to own the game. Passing that ROM on to somebody else or getting ROMs from other sources would still be illegal.
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 14-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #32
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A. J. Raffles @ Dec 14 2006, 09:36 AM) [snapback]271654[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, the way I understand it, it does mean you'd be allowed to create a ROM of, say, an NES game you already own and run it on your computer. But the point is that you still have to own the game.[/b]
Well of course, that was already legal beforehand.
Old 20-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #33
liamoneal13

That particular bill means nothing because the government has once again watered the whole thing down. It's a smoke screen guys.
liamoneal13 is offline                         Send a private message to liamoneal13
Old 21-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #34
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

Here is an interesting article on copyright. DRM and all that. why and how...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6379309.stm
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 22-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #35
plix
Game freak

I hadn't noticed this thread before, but I'm surprised it was omitted: The Internet Archive (the Wayback Machine guys) received exemption under this provision as Library/Archive. TIA is actually a prime example of a group pressing essentially the same agenda as the abandonware community.
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 26-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #36
Ravius
Lurker

I would like to add that no matter what the situation regarding the "abandonment" of software packages, as long as there is any potential money that could be made from any sort of use or sale, IMO, companies will hire legal teams to enforce their ability to collect this compensation. As long as no one feels there is any real profit to be made, most folks are not going to care if a program is "archived" or "warez". But let profits rear their ugly heads and the practices of the past will become just that, practices of the past.

If any one ever figures out a pay-per-play or viable gaming delivery method for older software, people will be coming out of the woodwork to claim their piece of the pie. Laws can be changed virtually overnight to pursue and protect new revenue streams. Even if somehow the US changed all of its copyright laws tomorrow, that does not mean 10 years down the road they won't be changed again.

FWIW, I think this site is absolutely incredible. I loved a bunch of these older games, and it has saddened me to see the gaming industry act as somehow just having arisen in the last 10 years out of a vacuum. These games should be remembered as valid cultural memoribilia. The 1980's and 90's were a great time to be a computer gamer, and is just as valid an art-form as any other. Mass marketing capability does not a great game make, to paraphrase a beloved little green dude.
Ravius is offline                         Send a private message to Ravius
Old 28-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #37
owen83

Default u fail to see the point

I fail to see why the US is covering up old software after all you cant buy them no so they might as well be public domain and them be enjoyed by the masses
owen83 is offline                         Send a private message to owen83
Old 28-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
owen83

Default re

the fact is the US Copywhight Lobby have been a pain in the butt long enough its a bout time they were told to get lost
owen83 is offline                         Send a private message to owen83
Old 29-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #39
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

You massively fail to see the point, and that after two years and four months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen83 View Post
you cant buy them no so they might as well be public domain
That sentence is ridiculous! You can cite the discontinued purchasability as an argument, but not as a reason to drop the whole copyright instantly.

It's about the obsolescence. Video games should have a shorter copyright period (with renewal clauses, though), but they don't want to admit that new technologies do have shorter cycles. And I understand when one says that you can't discriminate between intellectual property, and thus all intellectual property has to have the same amount of protection. It's something to talk about, but they don't want to talk (and why should they want?).

Here, we have a case of pointless thread resurrection, so:
Closed.

But don't get me wrong: If you want to talk about what you said, you are welcome to open a new thread; you just hit the wrong place.