Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

Well, most of the games i saw on G.O.G, very not very old nor abadonware.
But i get your point that companies will start selling old games again for extra $$$, but most of the games on Abadonware sites are very old/bad/unfit for today's market, so not all of the games will be sold again.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The hell people.
Have you learned of this thing called context in the English language? I said that I despise Steam's releases, I said nothing about them releasing the games themselves, just the way they release them.

As it stands, it's not alright to sell incompatible or unfinished products as they were sold when they were released once again. Which is why I said GoG might be better, they're adding compatibility to the games that they sell.

We don't know anything about their installers or the way they store the games on your PC, so I can't say anything of the level of alteration that could be accomplished to a game, but the fact is that Steam releases shitty products that have been locked in their last known form with no hope of being able to fix these products with third party applications since Steam is far too strict with people altering the games they sell.

As far as Steam goes, when you play on Steam there is only the Steam community, there isn't a "JA2 Community" or "Doom Community" since those communities are known for fiddling with their games, if things keep going as they are we'll only be able to use the tools Steam releases and anything else will be either impossible or incredibly difficult to alter.

Like it or not, the majority of "good" games that would soon be outdated because of their faults are corrected by the community into something great.

I could never appreciate Fallout 2 until after Killap's patch, and the same goes for a game like Arcanum that was practically broken at release.
Some of the games on Steam (I have mentioned JA2 as a big example) won't allow you to modify the game, so you're stuck with the bugged version that has no hope of ever being fixed.

If companies want to pick up these games and bleed them from us then they'll first have to make sure that they aren't shoving bullshit down people's throat as a quick buck, I was massively irritated by their JA2 release and it's disappointing to learn that they feel it's ok to remove the third party fix element from the mix.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon

Last edited by Blood-Pigggy; 09-09-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
bobson
Game is over

I never tried to work with Steam, so fr me there is no comment.

GOG - it can be good. The polish company which develops this project always gives some stuff to people on their CD's. Not so long ago I've bouth a Fallout Saga - there are not only games. They gave mods, solutions, FAQ's, arts and movies from all of the games. Best thing is - it wasn't a collector's edition, just a simple DVD in a box even without printed manual for about 5-7 euro (I do not know how euro-PLN is currently stocked).

I believe that they will do what they said - not only games, but also bonuses!

Probably I won't buy anything from them. I'm not into on-line distribution. I like my boxes and CD's. When i download something it is on my HDD, but that is not the same as having the game on my shelve... If I can't touch it - it's not there :amused:
Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomekk View Post
But i get your point that companies will start selling old games again for extra $$$, but most of the games on Abadonware sites are very old/bad/unfit for today's market, so not all of the games will be sold again.
I' not against giving extra money for gem games. That could be a signal to the publishers about how much we love the oldschool games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-satan View Post
Probably I won't buy anything from them. I'm not into on-line distribution. I like my boxes and CD's. When i download something it is on my HDD, but that is not the same as having the game on my shelve... If I can't touch it - it's not there :amused:
At least, with GOG, you'll can burn the games on CD (and build the box yourself! I'm going to make in that way...), cause there will be not DRM protections!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Tomekk
Master of Orion

Send a message via Yahoo to Tomekk

I agree, i like too see games on my shelf than on Steam or a GOG account.

"that's what all jrpgs are about

0: intro
1: talk talk cry talk talk graphics talk talk,
2: boring jrpg generic turn based combat
3: walk map
4: goto 1 12390482309 times
5: outro"
- _r.u.s.s.
Tomekk is offline                         Send a private message to Tomekk