Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

OK, it's about time I made a REAL God damn topic on this forum, and a God damn topic you will be presented with. k:

When it comes to Biohazard, I need to spread my tiny self-righteous wings...err...flippers. Something I haven't done in months. But believe me, I'm bored out of my mind as I write this.

OK....

I've always had a thing for horror...Is it the anticipation of entering a new area and not knowing what's on the other side? Is it the characters struggle to escape, while trying to maintain whatever sanity they have left? Or is it the good ol' marketing grip these games have on fans and retailists everywhere?

Actually, if I had to comment, I'd say it's a variety of all those keypoints.

Now onto the good and bad points:

Remember watching Dawn of the Dead as a kid? Dreading the sound of zombies clawing and hacking away at the last safe spot there is in this world? Ever wonder if they could do a game like that, where YOU were the last (or one of the last) people alive, armed with next to nothing and a whole undead army on your behind?

Well, someone did...And his name is Shinji Mikami. In 1996, he created Resident Evil, the granddaddy of survival horror. And as the PlayStation was relatively new back then, it couldn't have come at a better time.

Resident Evil stunned gamers everywhere, with its B-movie feel and classic camera angles. And don't forget...the windows in the hallway. Never had a game been so immensely scary and compelling. All the interesting notes and clues the players obtained only further helped to develop the series' trademark of suspense.

Then Capcom did the inevitable: They made a sequel!! And guess what it was called? Yup. Resident Evil 2.

Resident Evil 2 is arguably easier to complete than the first game, but has more modes, two characters (while RE1 had 2 characters, the stories weren't much different) and RE2 debuted the auto aim feature, which was brutally absent from the original.

Next up comes Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, released less than a year after RE2. Rumour has it that Capcom had already began work on Resident Evil: Code Veronica, the original RE3.

RE3: Nemesis was a bigger improvement over RE2, introducing the dodge technique, and the side step, as well as the handiest ammo tool known to man. This tool allowed you to customise your own ammo to even the score against the Nemesis. The titular character is like this huge repulsive zombie (who weights as much as a tank) yet is very agile and persistant. He even carries a rocket launcher from time to time, making certain encounters more threatening...And he wants all the S.T.A.R.S. members dead, and that happens to be YOU!!

Then the Dreamcast arrived, and I couldn't afford one at first. So I had to wait a long time to get one cheaper. Well, CVX was later released on the PS2. Not a lot of difference except it had more Wesker scenes and Steve had brighter hair.

About CVX: I hear a lot of fans whining about this game and it's so unfair. CVX has the best story out of all the others...Sure Steve was a bit annoying, but I didn't find him that irritating...If anything, he was a big help to Claire until her brother rescued her at the Antartic base.

Besides, what's scarier than being trapped on a prison island with a torture chamber, a transvestite and no rescue team in sight?

Now here comes the remake...One of the best remakes in history. Introduced a new enemy in Lisa Trevor and the defense items. Personally, they're a blessing. Remember RE1 in the PSOne days? A zombie grabs you and you cannot do crap about it? Well, not here.

The remake was followed by the prequel, RE Zero. Very similar to the remake in terms of graphics, I felt it did nothing for the story. As a RE game, it makes a worthy stand alone title. But ultimately, it falls short of being a classic.

Next up, the Gun Survivor titles. One of them was loosely based on Code Veronica, while the original Gun Survivor title was about a man with amnesia. The first two games had restrictive controls, bad aiming and terrible voice acting. Something that plagued all the main games as well.

To improvise, Capcom made Resident Evil: Dead Aim, a side story about a few characters attempts to put an end to Umbrella. As unlucky as one can be, you play a couple of government agents aboard a cruiseliner. As usual, a viral outbreak has occured and you gotta apprehend the man responsible. Unfortunately, the man soon becomes a woman, complete with boobs and lightning bolts. And so marks the weirdest RE boss character yet in Morpheus D. Duvall...

For some reason, Dawn of the Dead was resurrected as a remake and Capcom decided to pay tribute by creating the 'Outbreak' series. In my opinion, Capcom only got them half right and paying £40 for a half arsed sequel in Outbreak File #2 was like paying a fine for dropping litter...

After years of waiting for RE4, it finally came out in March of 2005 in the UK...A supposed sequel, RE4 turned out to be better (or worse) than the others with better controls, camera angles, weapons and a story straight out of a James Bond flick. However, it disappointed some loyal fans (myself included) by doing away with Umbrella and giving us a game with little to no scare factor.

Realistically, the plot of RE4 isn't as screwed up as it seems. For Umbrella are run by the government and all it takes is them to pull the plug. Any remaining criminals are caught and apprehended indefinitely. Why would they send humans to finish them off anyway? Anybody smart would have nothing to do with Umbrella or the zombies, etc. So RE4 just speeded things up and killed off Umbrella in one FMV.

So RE4 featured new enemies and a new threat with Las Plagas. Some say this is more science-fiction than horror, although some scenes are especially gruesome, like decapitation at the merciless hands of the chainsaw villagers. They had strange names, but I cannot remember what they were.

RE5 is still miles away. Looks like they're pulling an RE4 by making us wait, and the lack of news is starting to affect the die-hard RE community, who are now turning to Silent Hill instead.

Discuss.

Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Interesting topic, P3nguin. You certainly know the computer horror game genre. The most horror-filled game I've ever played was Zork Nemesis, so I can't really comment on the others you mentioned. I've been attracted to horror movies in the past, especially Vampire stories, and I think it had something to do with the spiritual element. I certainly didn't enjoy the blood and gore. I've never played Masquerade or the Vampire series of games, though, as I suspect they won't have the same impact....or that certain ingredient I like about the movie counterparts. I usually prefer horror entertainment that has an element of beauty as well...the contrast of the two elements of beauty and the beastly is usually delicious.

Sorry to be a bit off-topic. I really wanted to let you know that your post was interesting and appreciated.
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

Wow... wendymaree... it's the first time I see her... She really exists... mg2:

OK.
Resident Evil is the best game series I played so far. I love these games!
Nothing even dragged me so close to the story and the character you play as the RE-series.

I played 1, 2, Nemesis and Veronica X.

The movies are an unbound cheek. They screwed the story the charcters and even the timeline. THE TIMELINE! One of the most important and interesting things in the series. It doesn't feel like Resident Evil at all.

@wendymaree (...miracle...):
I remember playing Zorc Nemesis with a friend. It was uneasing and eerie. And it was so SILENT!!! Every sound made you shiver it could happen something bad.
And I remember it was played on 7 (SEVEN!) CDs. <_<
Old 01-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Hi, Icewolf, are you saying I'm famous (infamous?) in my own lunch time?

Glad to meet another Zork Nemesis fan. About the silence, there weren't many appearances by other characters, although the ones who did appear (in flashbacks) were unforgettable. The acting was first-class, wasn't it? Loved the eerie music..also first rate. Wish they'd do another in the Zork series. Fan game, anyone?

Sorry, off-topic again..
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

RE has nice intro, but that's wehre it ended for me. The strange movement arround 3D space was too uncomfortable for me (the changing camera angle). i was a bit dissapointed because of that, cause i was eager to play it. i saw some nice things, but didn't really progress far in the game due to the way the surroundings is manipulated.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 01-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Icewolf
Il Lupone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Feb 1 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]277477[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
The strange movement arround 3D space was too uncomfortable for me (the changing camera angle).[/b]
That's exactly why the graphics could be quite good on the PS1 and why it was so scary - you couldn't see everything. Uh, I just remember the scene, when the licker first appears...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Feb 1 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]277477[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
[...]due to the way the surroundings is manipulated.[/b]
See? BTW: I was always comfortable with the controls. Pushing up is always running forward. No matter what the camera does. You simply move like you were playing in over-head-view. Left is always left and so is right. :w00t: (What a conclusion!!! )

@wendymaree: Yes that's what I'm saying. You reviewed quite some games and seem to be a very valuable member here. k:
BTW: Zork Nemesis -> for AB?! I'm gonna check it out. ZN was exceedingly difficult. Or we were just too young.

EDIT: typos... <_<
Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

I reviewed and uploaded Return to Zork at one stage, but it was removed during the ESA cull. All the newer Zork games are protected...and I think the early ones might be, too.

I now return you to your scheduled topic, Resident Evil.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Zork Nemesis. Protected and still sold. <_<
Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Tito
Alley Cat

Well, I can see you love Resident Evil, but saying that it is the granddaddy of survival horror seems a mistake to me, because before it (many years before) there was a game that had many of the features that RE uses. That game is the great Alone in the Dark, a true revolution when it appeared. It even had two sequels before Capcom's game first appeared.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Hunter Hunted
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tito @ Feb 2 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]277740[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Well, I can see you love Resident Evil, but saying that it is the granddaddy of survival horror seems a mistake to me, because before it (many years before) there was a game that had many of the features that RE uses. That game is the great Alone in the Dark, a true revolution when it appeared. It even had two sequels before Capcom's game first appeared.
[/b]
That's true. k:

Resident Evil 5 will be in Famitsu's next issue.
Hunter Hunted is offline                         Send a private message to Hunter Hunted