Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #21
minhtuan
Forum hobbit

Some tips:

Don't put money in the bank, you will lose money. Keep it to yourself is the best way.

Going around to see whether there is an intelligence agent of your country to bring back to your home city. Will increase Loyalty by 12.

You earned 1 pt of Nobility for each new port you visited.

Going around near your home city to periodically check the tavern for the estate dealer to buy estates when you have enough money.

Going to the Mediterranean to get a symbol collection.

My format rate of soldier/sailor/apprentice when you afford them is 2/1/0 (the soldier double the size of the sailor. No apprentices )

Wait for time when all the country is allied or neutral to your home country before embarking to the faraway ports (US, or African). Otherwise, you will get killed by enemy ships.

St Petersbourg, Stockholm, Glasgow, Tanjier is some ports you can always go to.
minhtuan is offline                         Send a private message to minhtuan
Old 02-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #22
Christian IV
Game freak

I think this is one of the best of the sailing ship trading and action
games, more than the just pirate ones, I think.... :bye:
Yes the menu is the closet in your cabin,
it is interesting how you get promoted, the thngs you have to do
were the real things a "gentleman" sailor adventurer would have
to do to advance and gain status and position.....

great game thanks abandonia!
ahoy and avast mateys
Christian IV is offline                         Send a private message to Christian IV
Old 07-05-2005, 03:55 AM   #23
lucky bob

how do u properly fight pirates and other ships? everytimg a ship approaches i just fire the cannons on the side the ship is on. is there a way of doing this or am i doing something wrong?

Old 16-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #24
Guest_AShley
Exclamation

Hey just wanna say to kosta cheers for ya help and it was what i saved my files to and when i i was rewriting config i was jusy copyin and pastin but not changin to the same name as the files but its all workin now was havin a prob with saving but thats sorted now and im doin quite well ive found best and shortest trade is buyin liqour from amsterdam and sellin at london and buyin arms at liverpool and sellin at lisbon
The Game rules been trying to get a newer version not same game but similar but non copmpare high seas trader is awesome.
Thanks
Ashley

Old 17-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #25
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky bob@May 7 2005, 03:55 AM
how do u properly fight pirates and other ships? everytimg a ship approaches i just fire the cannons on the side the ship is on. is there a way of doing this or am i doing something wrong?
Thats pretty much the way to do it..use the round to damage them by punching holes in them. Use the Chain to rip apart their sails, and use the grape shot to rip their crew to shreds.

since you can't take their ship...don't hesitate to do damage, just don't sink her if you want the cargo. Be sure not to overkill with huge cannons on a little ship. You have to pay for your ammo afterall and taking the ship helps with cost.

you can also get close to board and thats when you can clean out their cargo. This works best with ships the same size or smaller than you, otherwise you may find that you are the one being boarded. I hear you can get boarded without firing a shot if you are unarmed, but never tried that

Soldiers and Sailors are the best for piracy, apprentices are best left drinking at the bar.

Don't forget to repair your ship in port, Upgrade your cannons if you like to use them in your attacks. buy plenty of ammo of all kinds and small arms for your boarding party (be generous to your firepower, you'll thank me later.)

You will increase loyalty and daring by attacking nations that you are at war with, so you can prowl their waters if you want to try piracy, but stay close to a friendly port during times of war. Attack pirates whenever you have the firepower to do so if you want to get some prestige as well as "free" cargo.

Hope this helps ya mate, forgive me if I tell ya things you already know of course
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 26-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #26
TOLGA

I CAN NOT BUY NEW SHIP, PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME ! WHAT I HAVE TO DO? I NEED ENOUGH GOLD BUT THE MESSAGE SAYS "SORRY CAPTAIN, I WOULD LOVE TO SELL YOU THIS SHIP, YOU LACK THE EXPERIENCE"? :help:

Old 05-06-2005, 02:35 AM   #27
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

Got to climb the social ranks and get promoted first..money is good but you still have to have the political power or you can be the richest peddler stuck in a cargo fluyt in all the high seas

but your goal in the game is to make noble ..so get them points
Doc Adrian is offline                         Send a private message to Doc Adrian
Old 12-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #28
kooswillem

Quote:
Originally posted by GP@Feb 13 2005, 08:47 AM
I am having some difficulty getting promoted. I clearly deserve it (I am currently at peddler, I meet the requirement for Loyalty Honour and Nobility to be above 15 and the average to be 25, and I also have the tea set treasure), yet I am not getting promoted. Is there a way to fix this bug, or a way to change the save file?
Be sure you have an estate of the right size. If you have an estate you should be able to visit it in your home port. A horse & carridge will be there to take you to your estate.

If you have all the requirments including the estate you shouln't have a problem getting promoted, mostly within 5 min. of meeting the requirments and being in a port (does it need to be your home port, I don't know).

Does anybody know how to choose wich ammo to use whith your cannons and what the difference is with the baks, ie. using many banks or just one?

Old 13-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #29
Doc Adrian
Game Wizzard

be happy to help..

Round shot is to damage the hull of the enemy

Chain shot is to disable the sails

and Grape shot is to take out the enemys crew.

The difference in the amount of banks is just how much firepower you want to use, this may seem silly for people starting out, but if you have a heavy ship and highly upgraded cannons you can use up alot of ammo not to mention sink the ship you intended to board with too much firepower.
Old 21-06-2005, 04:32 AM   #30
Ainslee

Hi,

Yes, I agree, this game is awesome. I've been playing it for ages.

MY TIPS...

Keys and Mouse combos. In battle use your mouse to fire your cannons (always fire them seperately - single cannons - that way you have a better chance of hitting your enemy) and use the keyboard to steer your ship. 'Z' and 'C' will turn you left and right, 'S' will raise or lower your sails, and 'A' and 'D' will fire your cannons (when they are not banked).

Spend big on firepower - you cannot have too many small arms aboard ship. I always upgrade my cannons to Demi-Cannons. They punch big holes in your opponents, and fast. Never hire apprentices. Always choose Sailors.

Buy ammo in the carribean - and food, as its cheeeap there.

Try the New York to Shanghai ARMS route for some big bucks. You make a profit of 200 gold pieces per unit you carry.

Sailing long distances is easy, just avoid the pirates. When sailing from South America, to Asia drop down to the low part of the maps and follow the arrows. Not so many ships down there to avoid.

Carry your money with you & save often.

Advancing through this game depends on money, and buying estates. So make as much as you can. Avoid corvettes and frigates. Buy ships with the largest holds possible, and find the most profitable trade runs.

When attacked, run first. Then look behind you to figure out if its worth fighting. Battles are fun, but they can be costly, and leave you in trouble, especially on the open sea.