Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Steyr27
Thumbs down Sick of boxshots!

As useless and unexciting as they are, do you really need to swamp the daily news with these?

Im reluctant to ask, but what exactly are they for? does anyone around here use them, and use them enough to make them a weekly mention?

I dont mean to sound insulting here, but i think they are a lame excuse for a daily news update, get rid of them! im\we are here to play games im sure, not look at there lame covers, which can be reproduced even better thesedays imo. So all we are looking at is some stupid nostalgic image ...... who cares?

Old 22-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Unfortunately we have barely anything else to pretend as an update. Most of the abandonware games that exist are already on-site or protected by ESA or GoG or Chuck Norris. So, if we want the world to think we're functioning (I mean the part of the world which just don't register, only leeches games from here or simply doesn't come here), we have to post news which make them assume we're actually doing something, when we're not.
And we're kinda lazy too, you know.

This was the answer you might wanted to hear. The real answer is, some people might want to print those covers. What for? There are folks out there like me, who often want to burn a certain game to a disc, and as we know, blank discs have ugly, common boxes. Why not spice it up a little to resemble an original one more?

Besides, then you could ask that why the cat do we have manuals when nobody bothers to read them? Why do we have reviews at all? And such. But...

We're the people who volunteer to save the glory of a past gone with the wind, to let the future generations remember our lives filled with simple means of having fun, which we thought couldn't be any better. We want to share the sheer joy of the very first experiences with computer games both in history and in a person's life, and this also includes those ugly boxshots too. That's the point of their existence. Remember we kids, and don't forget to finish all the games we offer. Class dismissed.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 22-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Pex
Game Wizzard

I am probably never going to print a boxshot, but I still like to see them. I find it nice to see what sometimes used to pass for a cool picture, and let's face it, those pictures used to sell games. Also, more than once, with a boxshot update on site, I discovered a game that I somehow missed while browsing the game list.

So, although I would stll prefer an update telling that Warlords II is no longer protected, I like to see a good boxshot as well.
Old 22-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Dear Mr. Steyr27,
please go to another site or make your own if the types of content of a site don't suite you. We don't need people who tell us that our work is useless, unexciting and stupid. Though, if you are ready to write reviews for the games you want so bad, you are welcome - we'll appreciate your work and just ignore further whining (except that you'll miraculously get warning points if you go too far).

Yours sincerely,
Abandonia,
a video game preservation programme
(not a stupid warez site that rapes games)
Old 22-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

If you're going to moan about site content, first remember that those currently running site updates are volunteers. It's a complicated process and takes time. What reviews we have need checking for spelling errors, and then we won't have anything to update if no one wants to add reviews. So pardon the crew if they aren't impressed by your snotty commentary, k?

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 22-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
dosraider
Dismembered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
The real answer is, some people might want to print those covers. What for? There are folks out there like me, who often want to burn a certain game to a disc, and as we know, blank discs have ugly, common boxes. Why not spice it up a little to resemble an original one more?
Seconded.

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 22-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
arete

Ze eater of ze fwogs legs haz szpoken

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
Old 22-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Let me play devils advocate for a moment please.

I agree with Steyr27. In fact, I thought exactly the same since several years now. But I know nobody would want to hear it.

There. Nothing more to add.
Old 22-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

Default poll?

Steyr, only because this is the Internet you think it's OK to talk like this? Do you really act like that face to face? No you don't. If you should have expressed yourself with a bare minimum of civility, your proposal would have been worthy of discussion.
___

Nevertheless I'm going to seize the opportunity to discuss this, because I also have a personal opinion.

Of course the staff is perfectly aware of this sentiment, even since we started adding extras and having news posts--even though we don't know how many people value extras news posts, that is how many people would be on each side of this discussion.

We have discussed this among the staff in the past, and actually we did agree on changing our policy and on making a forum poll to ask the users what kind of events and content updates would they like to see in news posts, and which ones they wouldn't. But all that was abandoned or overridden. Now is as good a moment as any other to raise the question anew.

What about making this poll?
Old 22-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
arete

I think this could work. Maybe people can suggest ways to encourage more reviews for the site as well. We need them.

(As far as eating the frogs goes, they are poor, innocent little green creatures that go ribbit. You should be ashamed.)