Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-08-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

It'll probably be a nightmare starting a country by yourself.
I mean, most countries we have were created by groups of people or a occupation of another area's territory.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 30-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #12
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Theres a television series on at the moment, well not THIS moment but its been on in the past weeks following a man setting out to start his own country. I am living in london.. I forget which channel and haven't watched it .. I forgot about it

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 30-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Magic@Aug 31 2005, 12:04 AM
Theres a television series on at the moment, well not THIS moment but its been on in the past weeks following a man setting out to start his own country. I am living in london.. I forget which channel and haven't watched it .. I forgot about it
Wednesdays, 10pm, BBC 2.

I've been meaning to watch it but something always gets in the way, which is a shame as it sounds just liek the knid of show I'd like.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 30-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #14
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Aug 30 2005, 11:56 PM

I always thought that you could not declare your house as a separate country as then you would be, in effect, stealing territory from your country, which they wouldn't like.
Oh you can claim everything you want, it doesn't make it true.
You can claim you're your own country, but until you are recognized you've still got to pay your taxes.

it reminds me of the story of Rose Island.
Rose Island was a manmade island (more like a wooden float really) off the Italian coast. It had it's own flag, stamps, post office, bar(...) and I think the "official" language was Esperanto.
In 1968 (4 years after its construction) the government of Rose Island declared itself independent from the Italian mainland.
The italian government decided to crush this rebellion with all it's might (id est 2 carabinieri and two finance inspectors) The government in exile of Rose Island called upon the Italian to end their hostile occupation of the island because it was ruining the tourism of Rose Island.
I think the Italian Navy eventually blew Rose Island up.

So in fact it did exist for 4, nearly 5, years.

Slightly off the subject of micronations: there is also that story of that island that was suddenly discovered in th mediterranean sea, it was claimed by Italy France and Spain and they all fought to gain control over the tiny rock. Whenever one pitched a flag on the island it was replace by the flag of another country a few days later.
Eventually the rock sank (back) into the sea and, or so the story goes, Italy used a small submarine to perch an underwater flag on it, once and for all. (why does this remind me of Pratchett's "Jingo!"?)
A similar story is that of Rockall, which is claimed by the British, the Irish, Iceland and Denmark.

ANYWAY, anybody have any luck finding that anthem?
Old 30-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroggy+Aug 31 2005, 12:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stroggy @ Aug 31 2005, 12:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-R Havell@Aug 30 2005, 11:56 PM

I always thought that you could not declare your house as a separate country as then you would be, in effect, stealing territory from your country, which they wouldn't like.
Oh you can claim everything you want, it doesn't make it true.
You can claim you're your own country, but until you are recognized you've still got to pay your taxes.

it reminds me of the story of Rose Island.
Rose Island was a manmade island (more like a wooden float really) off the Italian coast. It had it's own flag, stamps, post office, bar(...) and I think the "official" language was Esperanto.
In 1968 (4 years after its construction) the government of Rose Island declared itself independent from the Italian mainland.
The italian government decided to crush this rebellion with all it's might (id est 2 carabinieri and two finance inspectors) The government in exile of Rose Island called upon the Italian to end their hostile occupation of the island because it was ruining the tourism of Rose Island.
I think the Italian Navy eventually blew Rose Island up.

So in fact it did exist for 4, nearly 5, years.

[/b][/quote]
What a story. I never heard it before.

And our finance inspectors are NASTY.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 31-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #16
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
au contre mon freux (I hope I wrote that correctly)
Well, since I don't understand a thing... Nope. :bleh:
Old 31-08-2005, 12:25 AM   #17
a1s
Hero Gamer

"on the contrary, my friend" (it rhimes)
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 31-08-2005, 02:43 AM   #18
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Like I was saying... :whistle:

I hope you don't mind me telling you it's not a good translation at all...
Old 31-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #19
a1s
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Aug 31 2005, 02:43 AM
Like I was saying... :whistle:

I hope you don't mind me telling you it's not a good translation at all...
I got that from a TMbG song (incidentaly called "au contre")
a1s is offline                         Send a private message to a1s
Old 31-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #20
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Hmm I wonder if the Scots would mind if we formed a nation from Orkney (I've got contacts there, you see) and then declared ourselves an independant republic, then befriended the Scandinavians so that they wouldn't bother to invade.

Orkney - Like Scotland, but richer! And full of Uranium, so if you don't go outside, you'll probably get a healthy green glow. But very tranquil all the same.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks