Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #11

Thanks for your responses. I did try putting the DLL's in the system32 folder, apart from trying the sysWOW64 folder. I only read about that here after trying the system32 fix in the main games thread, and the previous quoted message put doubts in my mind whether I should be. I will try that first and if not have a go with the DOSBox solution. I have no experience with it though, so I will have to do a lot of reading up on it first.

Old 21-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Japo
Autonomous human

In 64-bit editions of Windows, 32-bit programs see the \windows\syswow64\ folder as if it were the \windows\system32\ folder--which only 64-bit programs see as such. If you read instructions on how to run a 32-bit program on 32-bit Windows, in order to try it on 64-bit Windows, just replace "\system32\" with "\syswow64\". Likewise, regarding the registry, replace "HKLM\Software\" or "HKCU\Software\" with "...\Software\WOW6432Node\".

The \windows\system\ folder has no significance, since Windows 9x I think. "System32" does not mean 32-bit (any longer)--actually on 64-bit Windows it means the opposite--and what people find more confusing is that the 32-bit files are in \windows\syswow64\. The "system32" was conserved as the main native system folder for compatibility (read the article linked below if you're curious), but even so the naming is not very fortunate: maybe they should have called the other folder "system32really" instead of "syswow64". By the way "WOW64" means "Windows [32-bit] on Windows 64-bit".

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../ff955767.aspx

This game has to be 32-bit, even if it's for Windows 3.1, otherwise it would never run on x64, no matter how many files you copied. According to MobyGames it was released for Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 (which for some reason is called simply "Windows" in MobyGames). There was a 32-bit extension for Windows 3.1.

Last edited by Japo; 21-01-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 21-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Great piece of info Japo. Did you dig this after I mentioned it on the other thread?
Old 21-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Japo
Autonomous human

Which thread? I knew the gist of it and I found that article in Google while looking for info on the old \windows\system\ folder, which I wasn't sure about.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

In the TTD game thread I theorized that our registry file was not updating the right registry file for Windows 7 users, leading the game to remain "uninstalled" inside the OS.

I actually thought that the auto-updater was simply targeting the wrong directory but with your explanation it all become very clear. The auto-updater still target system32 as it should but should be targeting syswow64 instead since TTD is a 32 bits program.
Old 22-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #16

Whoa Japo, thats very confusing indeed. I have always assumed that the sysWOW64 folder was the location of the extra 64-bit files needed for the 64-bit OS, when in fact, like you say its the opposite. I've never needed to know before, just seen the 64 in the folder name and assumed that. My lesson for the day!

Old 22-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
In the TTD game thread I theorized that our registry file was not updating the right registry file for Windows 7 users, leading the game to remain "uninstalled" inside the OS.
Didn't see that thread. The registry is another matter, but there's the same situation. In 64-bit Windows, 64-bit programs see the registry normally. But 32-bit programs see virtualized locations, e.g. "hkey_local_machine\software\wow6432node" instead of "hkey_local_machine\software\". "hkey_classes_root\wow6432node\" instead of "hkey_classes_root\", etc.

All this allows 64-bit and 32-bit programs to live alongside, even both versions of the same program.

I'll add all this to the Troubleshooting FAQ when I have a little time.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #18

Putting the game DLL files into the sysWOW64 solder worked like a charm.

So glad I can play this again, I was terrible at it when I was younger, now I get to give it another go. Only querk I get is that whenever I go to do a test drive, whenever a driver crashes during testing, the game freezes. That's very minor though as I just save the game every time before a test run.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 18-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #19
rob110

IM PRETTYY USELESS WITH DOWNLOADING FILES ETC IF ITS TO TECHNICAL BUT I NEED HELP HAHA

IVE JUST FOUND MY OLD GRAND PRIX MANAGER 2 CD AND WAS WONDERING IF YOU CAN PLAY THIS ON A MACBOOK PRO?

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
rob110 is offline                         Send a private message to rob110
Old 21-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #20
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Game is Windows 32, so it definitely cannot be played natively, or thru DOSBox. But I have no idea if Win32 virtual machines exist on Mac, and are they able to play games, sorry.

(Also, I would suggest to use less CAPS FOR YOUR MESSAGES). Looks somewhat loud, you know?