Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Mongi

Huh? Gamebringer actually gave 4 out 5 to a computer game??? I'm shocked!

Old 20-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
guesst
Abandonia Homie

... Are you joking? Do you not realize that this is not GameBringer. News page says "take(ing) a quick break from GameBringer's week ...", the review is credited to Einherjar.

Now does anyone have anything to say about the game itself.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 20-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #13
verek_22
Licenced misery wizard

I think this is a fine RPG game. The gameplay may not be fresh and the graphics look tired, but it is fun. What else do you expect? This game was made in 1989, but still has a catching feel about it.
verek_22 is offline                         Send a private message to verek_22
Old 21-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #14
Blank_box
Forum hobbit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Einherjar @ Jul 19 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]243989[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I would prefer if Abandonia let us rate games on a scale of 1 to 10 as it would give us a better range to score games with, but the powers that be decided long ago that the scale would be 1 to 5, and open disagreement is frowned upon here. If I could, I would have given this game an eight, but not because it "looks like" Zelda. In fact, the pre-N64 Zelda games (Zelda II and Wand of Gamelon notwithstanding) have very little in common with this game; this is an Action/RPG, and those Zelda games were Action/Adventures, to name the biggest difference.
[/b]
I agree that this game is not Zelda but it's still one that roots from JRPG style.

I'm one of hardcore RPG players. I think, not personally, that most of JRPG games don't have atmosphere of Role Playing which is the main concept of this genre. Most of them just depend on level scaling system that player have nothing to do more than get enough levels and good equipments to go further.

The gameplay system is far more terrible to gain entitled with "RPG" nor an "Action" game, you just chase and hit(using word "bump" will be more accuracy) monster for attacking.... WOW! :blink:

I don't criticize the reviewer about the game's score but I do criticize the game directly. :not_ok:
Blank_box is offline                         Send a private message to Blank_box
Old 22-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
Mongi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(guesst @ Jul 20 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]244170[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
... Are you joking? Do you not realize that this is not GameBringer. News page says "take(ing) a quick break from GameBringer's week ...", the review is credited to Einherjar.
[/b]
Uhh... Sorry, my bad

Old 23-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #16

This is one of my favorite games. I played it to death around the time it came out. I had the Apple IIgs version so I imagine the sound and music are a lot better for that time. I thought the graphics were beautiful and the music was probably the best I'd heard in a game. It has amazing style and the gameplay was so simple and different. It was something anyone could play and enjoy. The only thing that sucked was that, it took me about 3 years to figure out how to actually save a game. I knew how it should be done, but it never seemed to work and then I finally tried again later on and I don't know what I did different, but it finally worked. Before that, I'd just play over and over and over and when I'd die, I'd start from the beginning. But then I ran into trouble during a part in the final tower. So I kept dying and would have to play hours just to get to that part again and die once again. But I still enjoyed the game, so it never bothered me that much. I think it definitely deserves a 4 out of 5. I'd probably even give it a 5. My only complaint is that it's kind of short. Which isn't a bad thing if like me, you play it over and over without saving. All in all a good, satisfying game.

I never heard of Ys Complete and can't find any info on it. Is Ys Eternal the same as Ys Complete? I'll have to check it out. I have the Turbo-CD version of Ys I & II but haven't played it yet.

Old 23-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #17

Quote:
I agree that this game is not Zelda but it's still one that roots from JRPG style.[/b]
It's better than any Zelda game I've ever played. Most of the music from the Zelda games aren't that great, and the stories are stupid.

Quote:
The gameplay system is far more terrible to gain entitled with "RPG" nor an "Action" game, you just chase and hit(using word "bump" will be more accuracy) monster for attacking.... WOW! blink.gif[/b]
That first part made no sense, but Zelda games involve chasing and hitting monsters as well. The difference is that Ys is an Action/RPG, and Zelda are Action/Adventure.

Quote:
I don't criticize the reviewer about the game's score but I do criticize the game directly.[/b]
Surely you jest. The game had a great story, great graphics, great gameplay, and great music.

Old 26-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #18
Blank_box
Forum hobbit

Thumbs down

Hey guy... Look. I don't want to burn this topic up, so please listen carefully.

Firstly, I think that I have stated clearly enough what were my points and my opinions.

I have said that THIS GAME WAS ROOTED FROM JRPG not from Zelda, I know that what is the different between this two genres. My topic was about JRPG only, not about Zelda.

Secondly, I have criticized the CONCEPT of the game and GAMEPLAY which I will describe it again but briefly. The concept what I mentioned is the very basic element of all RPG, the role playing concept. I'm the one who need MORE FLEXIBLE role playing, I mean, I love to alter the story line and the character that I control. I don't like any RPG that don't allow me to take my own role at all even on my character.

And the gameplay, I have a very high degree of acceptance, to be an ACTION game for me that game have to apply the player's very high tactic and maneuverability.

Finally, this one could be considered as off topic but I still have to say, I believe that everyone here have right to express opinion about the game and criticize it. And I always do even my beloved games too whenever I found some either good or bad points and want to acknowledge or discuss others. And I never offend anyone except the matter about the game only.

Please, keep these in mind, and if my opinion on this game offend anyone, I apologize for that.
Blank_box is offline                         Send a private message to Blank_box
Old 27-07-2006, 01:58 AM   #19

I have two questions:
1. What is, in hours, the average estimated time to finish the game?
2. Is there a walkthrough for this game, or whether it is necessary to have walkthrough to play this game?

I am just interested in this game because of "Al Qadim - The Genie's Curse" in the "If you liked this game, you should try:" reference. I played Al Qadim before and liked it, so if this game is similar to it, I am sure I will like it too.

Old 29-07-2006, 03:04 AM   #20
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 27 2006, 12:58 AM) [snapback]245348[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I have two questions:
1. What is, in hours, the average estimated time to finish the game?
2. Is there a walkthrough for this game, or whether it is necessary to have walkthrough to play this game?

I am just interested in this game because of "Al Qadim - The Genie's Curse" in the "If you liked this game, you should try:" reference. I played Al Qadim before and liked it, so if this game is similar to it, I am sure I will like it too.
[/b]
This post is mine (I forgot to login that day). Nobody knows the answer?
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi