Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #231
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Quote:
On time travel :
It is proven to be possible (at least in theory) using tunnels through the spacetime continuum (no, I'm not kidding).
If something is possible only in theory, I don't think you can say it's proven in any sense of the word. And I'd like to see some documentation of some of this stuff.
Old 30-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #232
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles@Nov 29 2005, 08:40 PM
Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question, but how on earth do the scientists know whether the apes enjoy it? :eeeeeh:
Well, there are some apes that were thought the sign language, maybe they told them...
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 30-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #233
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by lgonggr@Nov 29 2005, 08:30 PM
Even more on wierd physics :
Life is an example of twisting the laws of thermodynamics. Life spontaneously creates order out of chaos. It does not break the laws, as this process creates more chaos than order. Still, the strict formulation of the second law of thermodynamics does not hold for organisms.
I don't consider this a fact actually. </me Prepares for a rant on the subject>...

But off course, this is not a discussion thread </me Sighs and logs off>
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #234
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikson@Nov 24 2005, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately that theory fails under the principle of complexity: If a system is very complex - that is, has an enormous amount of interconnected variables - it cannot be modelled in any other system that is less complex than the original.

That means that the universe cannot be simulated to 100% accuracy inside a computer unless that computer is at least as comples as the universe itself.

And since we don't even know just how big and complex the universe is, or all of its components (stars, galaxies, life forms, etc), the theory on the show is not just improbable, but impossible.
Hi im here to defend my input in this thread. firstly, i would like to thank iron scarecrow for siding with me (or thats wat he seemed like doin). secondly, i would like to blacken nikson's name on account of having no imagination whatsoever (no offense). iron scarecrow has covered most of wat its all about, but i would like to add to it. like nikson said, our world is very complex. well it is to US. as for other beings, our world might be like a holiday compared to whatever hole they came from. for all we know, our world might be a program where there are GLITCHES! maybe gravity is a glitch, and newton might have just come up with some wierd reason for it coz an apple fell on his head. there's a whole world of possiblities out there, it just makes you fell really small. There is, of course, the undeniable fact that, when push comes to shove, when it all boils down, when u really get down through all the annoying little nitty-gritty facts of the whole matter at hand, it could al just be a great big load of old tripe. :not_ok:
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 01-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #235
Nikson
Game Wizzard

What you're doing, BlakhOle, is not listing scientific theories, but philosophical, metaphysical ideas.
Blacken my name on account of no imagination all you want, the fact remains that this topic is about "weird facts" not "weird views on the universe".
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 02-12-2005, 04:38 AM   #236
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikson@Dec 1 2005, 11:27 AM
What you're doing, BlakhOle, is not listing scientific theories, but philosophical, metaphysical ideas.
Blacken my name on account of no imagination all you want, the fact remains that this topic is about "weird facts" not "weird views on the universe".
Good point, my bad. ill just go over here now...
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 02-12-2005, 04:56 AM   #237
moogle
Abandonia Homie

???
How did this topic of random knowledge get to a flame war? (is it a flame war?)
???

Random Knowledge: "Cand is dandy but Liquer is quicker"
moogle is offline                         Send a private message to moogle
Old 02-12-2005, 05:35 AM   #238
Nikson
Game Wizzard

It's not a war of any kind :P

Random facts
1. you are more likely to die alone in your own home than in a plane crash
2. you are more likely to die on your way to the place where you buy your lottery tickets, than to actually win the lottery.
Nikson is offline                         Send a private message to Nikson
Old 02-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #239
lgonggr
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup+Nov 30 2005, 08:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Reup @ Nov 30 2005, 08:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lgonggr@Nov 29 2005, 08:30 PM
Even more on wierd physics :
Life is an example of twisting the laws of thermodynamics. Life spontaneously creates order out of chaos. It does not break the laws, as this process creates more chaos than order. Still, the strict formulation of the second law of thermodynamics does not hold for organisms.
I don't consider this a fact actually. </me Prepares for a rant on the subject>...

But off course, this is not a discussion thread </me Sighs and logs off> [/b][/quote]
Who cares ? Don't I see Blah, blah, blah above this thread ? I'd welcome your views on the subject. I did a lot of work on this in college. It's fascinating really. By the way, the mathematics of modelling on simulating complex systems are very clear on simulating the universe. It can't be done inside the universe.

Cheers,
Lodewijk
lgonggr is offline                         Send a private message to lgonggr
Old 02-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #240
lgonggr
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Fruit Pie Jones@Nov 30 2005, 08:42 PM
Quote:
On time travel :
It is proven to be possible (at least in theory) using tunnels through the spacetime continuum (no, I'm not kidding).
If something is possible only in theory, I don't think you can say it's proven in any sense of the word. And I'd like to see some documentation of some of this stuff.
In pure mathematics and pure logic if it's proven in theory, it is a fact. However, this theory is based on our current understanding of physics and thus may very well be wrong. That's why I added "(at least in theory)". If it is not experimentally demonstrated, a physical theory is never fact. However, our current experimental evidence does support this view, i.e. there is no experimental result yet that defies this theory. Still, this does not prove it as fact in any way.

Cheers,
Lodewijk
lgonggr is offline                         Send a private message to lgonggr