Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #11
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Hmmm...

That's possible as long as the owner wants it...he gets trouble...and you dont when they coming for the site :whistle:
Old 16-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
Morrin
Underground

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy+Nov 15 2004, 09:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreeFreddy @ Nov 15 2004, 09:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maerlyn@Nov 15 2004, 04:43 AM
Who cares, tis good to share whether 'legal' or not.
HOTU games should be actually all abandoned. But who can be 100% sure, after all? In any case, if the games aren't abandoned, they're seen as warez and it's illegal to have them on any site. Therefore we don't have here games that aren't abandoned yet. [/b][/quote]
HOTU has (or had) system shock 2 wich is NOT abandonware.
Morrin is offline                         Send a private message to Morrin
Old 16-11-2004, 10:19 AM   #13
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Gekko@Nov 16 2004, 11:16 AM
I think HOTU is making a lot of mistakes with what is abadonware and what not...
Old 16-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #14
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gekko+Nov 16 2004, 11:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gekko @ Nov 16 2004, 11:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy+Nov 15 2004, 09:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FreeFreddy @ Nov 15 2004, 09:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maerlyn@Nov 15 2004, 04:43 AM
Who cares, tis good to share whether 'legal' or not.
HOTU games should be actually all abandoned. But who can be 100% sure, after all? In any case, if the games aren't abandoned, they're seen as warez and it's illegal to have them on any site. Therefore we don't have here games that aren't abandoned yet. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
Er.. why do you say it isn't abandonware? The copyright holders have defunct and aren't supporting the game, and the game is not available at stores. Sounds pretty abandoned to me.

<!--QuoteBegin-FreeFreddy

In any case, if the games aren't abandoned, they're seen as warez and it's illegal to have them on any site.[/quote]

Abandonware is illegal. The difference to warez is that abandonware isn't supported by their creators, and thus it's seen to be morally justified to offer it for free download, and the copyright holders are usually beyond caring of what's going on with their old games. There are exceptions to this, the forementioned Space Hulk 2 being a prime example.

However, as far as legistlation goes, they're both illegal.
Old 16-11-2004, 12:11 PM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Er.. why do you say it isn't abandonware? The copyright holders have defunct and aren't supporting the game, and the game is not available at stores. Sounds pretty abandoned to me.
I agree to that. Even worse, Electronic Arts does not mention anywhere that they ever produced this game. :not_ok:

I still have the first part and can submit it any time. k:

That game, to say it bluntly, rocks. k:

Difficulty high but not overt, awesome music, decent sounds and a gameplay that is more then just addictive. I spent a week last Christmas on completing SH1 from beginning to the very end - and I did it! :Brain:

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #16
Morrin
Underground

That's what they say in TTLG. It can be ordered from somewhere but I don't remember where.. I was lucky once I found brand new copy of the game from FINLAND!! Can you believe it?
Old 17-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #17
marko river
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT IS STILL BEING SOLD??????

I JUST BUSTED MY ASS WRITING A REWIEW!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA............. ........

Horsemen, this is not ok, damn...
marko river is offline                         Send a private message to marko river
Old 17-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #18
Timpsi
Hero Gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gekko@Nov 16 2004, 01:16 PM
That's what they say in TTLG. It can be ordered from somewhere but I don't remember where.. I was lucky once I found brand new copy of the game from FINLAND!! Can you believe it?
I for one would be interested in purchasing a copy, but cannot find any. Where exactly did you get yours from?

What TTLG says is "System Shock 2 is NOT Abandonware. Even if SS2 were abandonware, "ABANDONWARE" IS ILLEGAL TO DISTRIBUTE. Bottom line, end of story."

Not very convincing, really. They're saying it isn't abandonware, but the only argument they present is that abandonware is illegal. I remember hearing plenty of these "I'm right, and even if I wasn't right, you're still wrong" arguments around the sandbox at the tender age of 5..
Old 22-11-2004, 12:08 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Note that CDrom Access is not the original game publisher... they are simply making money on selling what is in all respect abandonware.

Do you really think that if some old game is sold by a software pirate (and I see CDRA as one) it really means that the game is "still sold" in the normal meaning of this word? If I had a copy of it and sold it to my friend, would it mean is is "still sold"?

Answer is NO. Space Hulk is not avaible from the copyright holder anymore nor is an original copy of the game avaible in any stores I know of. That's pretty much abandonware by all definitions I could think of.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #20
Morrin
Underground

I found SS2 from Jyväskylä "we sell - buy - trade" shops many years ago. Don't remember the name thought.. Seeing system shock 2 in abandon ware site brings me tear to my eye.

marko_river: just curious: how many times have you completed SS2? Have you tried wrench only?