Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
Justin B.

I have to ask... is the patched version? Because it won't play past a certain point otherwise.

Old 19-08-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
Churchill
Thumbs up Best game ever !

Imperialism is definetely the best game ever !

Even now it is the only game I play regularly. One or two times in the year I am in the fever and have to play it, even I know all the moves inside out.

It's so frustrating that no later game was able to reach the high strategic level of imperialism, especially Imperialism II was near to calumny...I was so disappointed because I expected a game at the eye level.

The only drop of bitterness is the really bad KI. To make it more challenging I have to declare war on all great powers right after first round.

To give you guys a good advice: The first rounds wood is important but then the only thing what counts is producing steel. Dont conquer minor nations in the beginning but select the ones with the most iron/coal and make as many as you can satisfy to your favorite trade partners ! With this tactics you can make lots of money in the beginning and in the later game the steel-industry will bring you the victory !

But in all the years, there is one question I still have: Is it somehow possible to use the multiplayer-mode via LAN or even online? I tried it several times but it didnt work... playing against other humans would be so magnificent !

Old 20-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #23
zippyriver

Question noob

A "first ten moves" tips list would be cool.

Checked out the manual, the tutorials, the strat guide and here. being a civ player, I have one quick question regarding bonus terrain (farms, trees, orchards, etc).
Should you avoid building (your city) on them? (as, some games you lose added potential production from mines, farms and such, because you can't improve city tiles).
zippyriver is offline                         Send a private message to zippyriver
Old 28-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #24
jamotide
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyriver View Post
Should you avoid building (your city) on them? (as, some games you lose added potential production from mines, farms and such, because you can't improve city tiles).
On the contrary, it is beneficial, because you get free upgrades of the terrain in your capital city.The other depots dont influence that, you can still improve their tile, have to actually.
jamotide is offline                         Send a private message to jamotide
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #25
Anonymos
Default Corrupt File

Am I the only one having a problem extracting the files?
When I try to extract it said that the pictpaid.gob file was corrupt. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Old 15-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymos View Post
Am I the only one having a problem extracting the files?
When I try to extract it said that the pictpaid.gob file was corrupt. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Have you tried downloading again? As there have been no other complaints, that may be the place to start.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 16-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #27
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Or another program to extract the archive?
Old 24-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #28
Vanadio23
Lurker

It's just me or the link to download is broken?
Vanadio23 is offline                         Send a private message to Vanadio23
Old 24-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #29
dosraider
Dismembered.

Server is down.....
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27277

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 29-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyriver View Post
A "first ten moves" tips list would be cool.

Checked out the manual, the tutorials, the strat guide and here. being a civ player, I have one quick question regarding bonus terrain (farms, trees, orchards, etc).

Forget everything learned playing civ.

You can only choose a place for your capital to be built (not in beginner mode!), and tiles which can be improved (mountains, hills, swamps woods,...) can't be taken. So don't worry about that. The only thing to keep in mind: Any capital (the initial and also conquered ones) counts as a railway station AND as an harbor. So the resources from adjected tiles are transported to it for free.

Some other hints for the beginning of the game:

1. Feed your Workers! Improve any agricultural tile which is accessible (i.e. adjected to the capital).

2. Buy/ train another engineer! This unit is worth the price. Start to prospect at once, to find places, where the engineers can place tracks.

3. Get your production going! Focus at least on one key industry. The first key industry will be lumber >> timber >> furniture next is iron/ coal >> steel >> hardware. You will need those intermediate products to build up your transportation, production and later for warships.

4. Train your workers first instead of attracting new ones. New workers have to be fed.

5. Start your transportation network. Resources from distant places can be easily acquired by sea transportation via harbors. Sea transport costs transport capacity but does not need tracks. during a war sea transport can be endangered, but you can connect the distant harbors to your railway net later. Place your railway stations wisely! They cannot be removed later.

6. Try to establish a constant income by producing and selling consumer goods. In the beginning, don't waste important intermediates (steel, timber), produce textiles instead.

7. Buy steel! This will establish diplomatic relations and slow down other major powers, cause they lack steel for developing their industry.

8. Don't waste money for diplomatic missions in the beginning. Open up trade missions, for they are cheap. Focus your diplomatic efforts on only two or three minor nations with interesting resources. Start with trade subventions and an embassy, give grants later when you can afford it. Don't try to get a nation adjected to yours as a colony, it's easier to conquer it. Accept any pact or alliance, which is offered.

9. Building up your army the mixture is important. If you prefer to fight tactical battles, you need a balanced army. Armys of only one or two kinds of troops are not very efficient. Infantry is not that important for attacks. If you don't a horseranch on your territory, you might be in trouble.

10. In a fight it's important to smash the enemy units totally. Any unit, which escapes gains experience and can be turned against you in the next battle.

11. For Warships there's one Rule: The bigger, the better. Frigates (and raiders in the later game) work fine, if the enemy does not guard his frighters with heavier units. Unfortunately seafights are always strategic.