Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Angry WTF Google? Seriously, W T F

So, for a while now when I have been watching videos on Youtube sometimes this Google+/Use your full name notification has interrupted the video. Usually I've just reloaded the page or pressed cancel or something and it would go away but this time I accidently pressed OK.

As a result I was created a Google+ account (which I didn't want) and my Youtube account was disabled. I couldn't even watch my own videos anymore and my subscribers couldn't access my channel. For a while there I actually thought that Google had managed to delete all my videos (about 400 videos, maybe ~4000 minutes total).

After a while I managed to delete the Google+ account. This restored my Youtube account but all my videos had been set private. Luckily I could select all the videos and easily set them all public without having to do this for every video individually. However, as a result of the videos being private for a while (I guess) all my videos have disappeared from the Youtube/Google search results. I had some videos which were fairly popular (~100000 views) and some of them came up as the first search result in Google and Youtube with certain key words. Well, not anymore.

Even though I make these videos mainly just for fun and because I like watching them myself it's still nice to see other people watching them also. But since my videos have now disappeared from the search results I guess less people will find my videos. Some of my videos can't be found even by using the search function on my channel. Thanks a lot Google.

Sorry for the long rant. I just wanted to share what happened.
And I hope Google would stop trying to force people to use Google+.
Old 25-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
SGP
Lurker

Tell them to re-instate your video rankings or you'll open up a can of whoopass on them.

Threats of physical violence always work for me.
SGP is offline                         Send a private message to SGP
Old 26-08-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Lulu_Jane
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I hate being forced to use my real name online. I can think of only two sites/applications where I do and that's because it's directly related to my work.

The Google push for real names was partly (apparently) because of the ridiculous nature of comments on youtube, but humans are amazing and it turns out that having your real name next a racist, homophobic or just outright dumb words doesn't actually stop people racist, homophobic and dumb.

Why not just enter a dummy name? Or make a new gmail account with a dummy name?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Talking Long Rant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirkoni
Sorry for the long rant.
Long rant? LOL, I've posted things longer than that from a docile comment on Star ratings. Then again, I space mine out, so perhaps my 3/4ths page is the same as your 1/5th when spaced appropriately? Perhaps, but still, I think mine are a bit longer.

Anyway, I wrote a whole review on a game compilation once just because I hated it so much. The whole thing is so full of sarcasm it's ridiculous. I can post it here if you want to share rants! Which I doubt.

Anyway, I just use StaaViinsZ for everything I do on the internet, practically. Other than that I have other nicks. I don't know how creating a Google+ account would've caused the Youtube channel to weird out, though. You should E-mail Google's Tech Support since it's such a serious problem.

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 13-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaaViinsZ View Post
Long rant?
Usually my posts are 1-2 lines long and I never complain about anything (until now)...
Old 13-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
StaaViinsZ
Abandonia nerd

Talking Unfortunate, my dear man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirkoni View Post
Usually my posts are 1-2 lines long and I never complain about anything (until now)...
'Haps for you it 'tis a long rant, then!

I say, someone spur this fellow on, if he can't bring himself to write something this long each time joins the forum, 'haps we should!

Go on, then! Sour! I mean, SPUR! SPUR! SPUR, I say! Right in the CPU! SPUR!

No, don't spur him to complain, spur him to write! Develop this skill which may have been so thrown back with all these 1-2 line posts!

Okay, I'll be quite now.

"...this forum seems like a bunch of jumbled posts all bound together, except a toddler has been tearing "Posts" out of the "Binder"."

"And here we are, in the shadows, patiently awaiting a reply to appear, in it's natural habitat."

"Why quote someone else when you alone have enough ridiculous posts for the whole forum's user base?" -All Quotes StaaViinsZ
StaaViinsZ is offline                         Send a private message to StaaViinsZ
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
zirkoni
Game Wizzzzzzard

Now you can't comment on Youtube videos anymore without a Google+ account. And even tracking the comments left on your videos is apparently disabled without Google+.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

The whole tracking-comments thing is disabled even WITH a goggle-account.

AND this change (on what I said NO but still happened) removed my avatar, chanel-description etc.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillight View Post
AND this change (on what I said NO but still happened) removed my avatar, chanel-description etc.
That's by design, now Google doesn't want an avatar from you, but instead a high res mugshot so their bots can recognize you on any picture across the Web

Maybe we should all change our Google+ profile pic to
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...nowden-008.jpg

Last edited by Japo; 08-11-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 09-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

i'm just watching the "settings" menu of my(? still mine?) chanel on youtube, and you should too IMMEDIATELLY.

The basic setting is you'll be spammed by zounds of email (which lines also suggest dubious personal-info handling), and other things what sound like this Google+ would be a Facebook what instead only telling things people you personally marked tells about you to everyone on places you never even hear of.