Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 11-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #11
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

Doesn't Abandonia have DOS versions of all the common archivers (ZIP, ARJ, RAR, ACE)? If not, then it should and I'd even volunteer to upload them.
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 11-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #12
racer
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildcatsa@May 10 2005, 04:34 PM
I also spoke to a blokenext door to me that builds PC's. He has had a look at mine and says it is too weak to run win95. too bad too.
Your friend is wrong. A 486 should handle Win95 without any problem. You didn´t just say how many RAM you have, but with 28 or 32 mgb is ok. Or you could get any DOS and have a DOS only machine. Get your video and sound DOS drivers to play any game from this site and have fun k:
racer is offline                         Send a private message to racer
Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #13
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I had a 100Mhz PC with 8MB RAM running W95 flawlessly (altough a tad slow at times). AFAIK, anything from 50 Mhz upwards should do the trick.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #14
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

According to MS, a 386 should already do the trick with 4 mb's, though they recommend a 486 with 8 mb. So indeed, your friend is wrong. It should work like a charm!

Microsoft Knowledge Base article
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 12-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #15
dr_st
Abandonia nerd

The question is "why?"
dr_st is offline                         Send a private message to dr_st
Old 12-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Why you'd want to install win95 on a 486? I don't know. Maybe run win95 programs and games as well as DOS games?
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 12-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #17
CMA Death Adder

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildcatsa@May 8 2005, 06:22 AM
I hav inherited an ancient 486
486 ... ancient? Hee hee hee hee...

I guess this person would find it extremely humorous to find out that between 1996 and 1997, my only PC was an XT-8088 running at 12Mhz. At this time, my 386 had fried its motherboard after many years of devoted service, and the donated XT was what I ran with until a 486 came along.

Why, you ask? I have this thing about not buying PCs. I'll buy Apple II, Amiga, etc., but I refuse to buy PC. So even my most powerful PC, owned now, was given to me by someone. k:

Of course, I demanded the best out of my XT-8088, "upgrading" it with a Sound Blaster 2.0, VGA card, 14.4 modem (for cruising the last remaining BBS' in my area), but relying on its built-in 20MB hard drive and 360KB 5.25" floppy drive. Now that's what I'd call a little more "ancient" than a 486.

Of course, that XT-8088 is still here and still in working condition, and I was able to get some great games running on it that most XT owners wouldn't have even tried, such as the Simpsons arcade game (it runs deadly slow and has some gfx errors due to the sprites not updating fast enough).
CMA Death Adder is offline                         Send a private message to CMA Death Adder
Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
CMA Death Adder

Quote:
Originally posted by Reup@May 12 2005, 12:36 PM
Why you'd want to install win95 on a 486? I don't know. Maybe run win95 programs and games as well as DOS games?
I don't understand it either. Save Win95 and above for newer systems that you want to use the power of Windows on and that you don't necessarily want to run DOS games on. Why? Many (read: MANY) DOS games won't run at all under the Windows 95 DOS box, and the ones you DO manage to get running when you perform a "restart under MS-DOS mode" may still have problems now and then. Most often you'll find DOS games sound and/or music conflicting with Windows 95, or Windows will report that "this application must be run in DOS mode". Other lovely problems include DOS games having issues locating the sound or graphics card when Windows 95 is on the machine. It is a headache that your average user shouldn't have to deal with.

Generally it is best to run DOS games in pure DOS mode, w/o any version of Windows being loaded prior. If you MUST have Windows 3.1 on your machine (why?), make it so that the machine boots to pure DOS, and you have the option to run Windows 3.1 at any time by just typing WIN.

Trust me, folks, you'll enjoy the experience a LOT more this way than if you are using an emulator like DOSBox. Not to knock DOSBox, its great for those who don't have the ability to play DOS games the way they were meant to be played, but if you play the games on a dedicated machine and then compare to DOSBox, you'll definitely realize what I am talking about. :Tom:
CMA Death Adder is offline                         Send a private message to CMA Death Adder
Old 12-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #19
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

If you configure your system properly, you'll never have problem running win9x and DOS on the same machine.

Only time I load windows on my gaming machine is when I like to transfer more games on it, and for that I use win and network. And this is not that often, as I mostly run the games that I have on CDs.

People should do what is easiest for them, in this case have win to do some stuff, and to have DOS to play those games the way they were meant to play.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Exactly. Dual Boot here to save the day, and many, many games will work without problems on such a system. Some oldies require Windows, you know, and might refuse to work on newer versions.

Apart from that, it's easy to find decent 95-operating versions of packer/unpacker programs, so that the access to packed archives is far easier.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman