Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Xhumed
[BANNED]

Cool Easy way to file & index all your games.

I am a bit of a list and index freak and I have been looking for a simple way to index all my games and if your like me and I'm sure many of you are then you will have 100's if not 1000's of small RAR and Zip files and I didn't relish typing that lot into a file, now I have found what must be the simplest way of doing it.
I know you can use the command line and use the following,

Open the command line (cmd.exe in NT/2000/XP)
2) Navigate to the required directory using the cd command.
3) type dir /b>gamefilelist.txt

but this only gives you a boring .txt file which you can't do much with, I then remembered that I had made an html file of a 'txt file by just dragging the .txt file in to the Firefox browser window (I read how to do that somewhere) so I tried this with a folder with some games in and it worked and produced a html file but the real beauty of the html file is that all the file names in it are live links so you can access any folder on the list and there is also a "Up to higher level directory" link which will take you all the way back to the drive root C:\ if that's your drive letter and the name of the html file at the top will change as you go through the files path.

The really useful bit is that when you add or remove items from any of the folders that are on the html file index you just use the last file in the file path to make a new html file and everything is updated again, for instance the path to my games folder is,
"C:\Documents and Settings\Xhumed\My Documents\Dos games" and if I change anything in the folders I just drag the "Dos games" folder into the Firefox browser window and a new updated html file is created, you can of course also print out the file for a hard copy, you can also drag the folder to a Firefox shortcut to make the file.

I also made another file for all my games manuals so now with just two files I can access all my games and manuals without digging through loads of folders, all that and I hardly typed a word.
Xhumed is offline                         Send a private message to Xhumed
Old 25-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Pallantre

While that's a fairly decent way to keep track of a small amount of files. I've found WhereIsIt? to be an invaluable application for keeping track of a truly massive amount of files. It will also generate lists that anyone can view ex. html, txt, csv, etc. It's only for Windows, my apologies to anyone using a different operating system.
Pallantre is offline                         Send a private message to Pallantre