Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Argith Nuei
Forum hobbit

Well folks here we go again. I can imagine a lot of people were dying to see the Final Fantasy movie when it was made public that one was in the making.
Now Final Fantasy VII -The movie will be hitting the japanese and U.S movie theaters by september this year and Europe in november/december.
Im sure a lot of us remember the game quite well, and some may still be enjoying one of the most brilliant RPG games ever to hit any console.
Any one have anything on their mind regarding the upcoming movie?
Oh yeah... Sephriot is back...

Get more info on the movie from the Advent Children webpage
Argith Nuei is offline                         Send a private message to Argith Nuei
Old 27-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
Triton

Behold the power of fanboys.

Really, what was so good about Final Fantasy VII? It had a mediocre story, it brought nothing new to the RPG genre (face it, when was the last time you played a game with the materia system?), and wasn't any better than the six previous American Final Fantasies and how many else they had in Japan. The characters were mostly static (except for Cloud and Tifa), and were all the typical character archetypes you see in RPGs these days.

Besides, why should they make a movie based on Final Fantasy VII, or anything else for that matter? Lately there have been a large number of films based on anything and everything that has received mainstream attention. There was no need to make films on every single fad and trend thirty years ago because there were still good moviewriters and producers who knew their medium and could make a good movie without having a star-studded cast and relying on the power of their target audiences.

Old 27-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #3
Argith Nuei
Forum hobbit

I would have to disagree on several points there. I think the story of the game was pretty deep in comparison to the previous games, also they just hit it of with the struggle between Cloud and Sephriot.
I know a lot of people that bought Final Fantsy VII for the ps when it was released.
(People that had never heard of the Final Fantasy series.)
Now they just cant let go. And I think a lot of people would like to know more about the story of the game. The movie will continue clouds story two years after the game ended and will reveal a lot of things that happened before and during the game.
Argith Nuei is offline                         Send a private message to Argith Nuei
Old 27-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I never enjoyed the Final Fantasy games, in making this movie they are using their only psotive point (Iin my opinion) their CGI skills (which, compared to nowadays, isn't that great either)
Old 27-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
Triton

Actually, Cloud and Sephiroth's relationship reminds me of Cecil and Kain from Final Fantasy II. They aren't exactly the same, but they are quite similar. The story of Final Fantasy VII isn't very deep; if you played the earlier Final Fantasies, the games all have plot twists that are very much the same: the good guys fight the evil king/empire/etc, then they beat the king/empire and they think everything is over. Then out comes the true evil manipulating the king/empire, and the good guys must travel around and try to beat the true evil. Then the god comes and decides he's bored and wants to blow up the world.

Old 27-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #6
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton@Jun 27 2005, 06:26 PM
and were all the typical character archetypes you see in RPGs these days.
Exactly, it influenced the console RPG genre completely and the PC RPG genre less so, but quite a lot. There are heaps of better RPGs but FFVII had a strong plot and good characters.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 27-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Triton

Not quite. Final Fantasy VII brought one thing to the RPG genre: graphics. FMV cutscenes as rewards for completing battles and progressing through the story. These days, RPGs are sacrificing story and gameplay in favor of good graphics because they attract more and more people who would otherwise not play, and thus not purchase the games.

There was nothing special about the characters in Final Fantasy VII. As I said before, they were flat and two dimensional, and underwent very little change throughout the story.

Old 27-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
Argith Nuei
Forum hobbit

True there are some similarity to the previous games. (Im playing final fantasy II as we speak.) But still Final fantasy VII gave you a story unfolding in a grand scale compared to final fantasy I and II. (Atleast it seems that way to me) :blink:
Not to mention that they were able to show you how the story unfolds from well... another viewpoint. The graphics made it possible to present things that actually made it look and feel more dramatic/scary/emotional at times. As Triton mentions above. This you cant deny. :blink:
Old 27-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Triton

Yes I can. The importance of graphics in a game can be described in one word: nil. Have you played Illusion of Gaia? It didn't have FMVs or "incredible" artwork like Final Fantasy VII, but yet it still captured themes of emotion and drama quite well; in fact, perhaps better than one certain and famous scene in Final Fantasy VII that had a really good FMV followed by regular graphics consisting of chunky pink blocks next to chunky blue blocks. If you're going to have a scene in your RPG that calls up a lot of emotion and drama, don't even think about making a scene where everything looks really good followed by a picture where everything looks awful.

Old 27-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
Argith Nuei
Forum hobbit

I havent played "Illusion of Gaia" and I wont say its no good at dramaticing the scenes. (I,ll have to check it out someday) k:
But I dont mean that the graphic needs to be "INCREDIBLE", its just that you got to se a scene that happens in a 3d enviroment where there is more than one side to everything. The FMV,s are great ofcourse but I wont say that they are the only reason to the scenes being sucessfull. But then again, I made this topic to discuss the movie. I think it will be a fine movie that presents the final fantasy VII history with even more depth, and many people remember Cloud as one of the more captivating (is that right?) figures from the final fantasy series.
Lets leave the game alone and focus on the movie instead. :bye:
Perhaps i never should have spoken of my love of the game.