Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Default Darth wants to learn coding!

Well the title about says it all, now I know this is a hard thing to do and the like and I am not going to school about it at the moment but I do plan on at some point. For now I just want to try and learn some coding and make some simple programs. A friend of mine has been suggesting a few things, what with him being a paid coder and all, but I would like some more suggestions and thoughts on the different languages.

I am thinking of doing something in the C area, I know I used one of them at school for making a couple of programs (a dice roller and some bouncy shape thing I think) but I can't remember which. Which is the one you would recommend?

Or should I go for something more like Java or whatever Lua is? The more info I get now the better so throw it at me folks.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

C or C++ . They're not too difficult to start with, but not so convenient you can allow yourself to stop thinking about what you're doing.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I think it depends on the sort of things you want to end up coding.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 06-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
GTX2GvO
The (Web)Space Pirate

If you need a program to be able to code with, you can look at MS Visual Studio Express.
It's free.

Should also have some tutorials available.
(either on site or in the program itself)

Member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
GTX2GvO is offline                         Send a private message to GTX2GvO
Old 06-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, C would be ideal - I study Pascal (un)fortunately, which is a very easy, thus outdated language. Though you can write suprisingly good programs in it, even 3 dimensional. The only problem is, it's mostly compatible with Windows OSes under XP, or DOSBox. On linux or mac you could use FreePascal, but it doesn't really have graphical units (think of them of libraries of functions), so go with DOSBox + Borland/Turbo Pascal if you choose Pascal to code in.
You can easily grasp the basic concepts of variables, loops, different data structures, file management, and such. Then there's Object Pascal based Delphi, which is the Object-Oriented version of Pascal, lot of things can be written in it.
But as I began, C would be the best - it's a widely used language with lot of information about it, libraries, functions, sourcecode of tons of software... just learn C!

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!

Last edited by Tracker; 06-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Yes my friend did suggest the Express programs as being good enough to start with and free so I will be going there to try them out for sure. C++ seems to be the one I will pick up for now I think. Who knows where this could lead...it could lead to me giving up in a few weeks after I work out how hard it is and my lazy bones kick in.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, it might be better to learn C, as C++ is only slightly different, but I'm not sure learning C after C++ is easier. But anyway, don't give up, think of all the 3D demos you'll write!

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

I would start with C, not C++. Object orienting is even another layer over the basics of programming, and I guess it would be confusing to learn it before mastering algorithms. Pure C is an excellent place to learn the idea of algorithm and implement them. Also, it gives a very good idea of memory management and pointer usage. You should start C++ or Java after you master C.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
jonh_sabugs
Abandonia nerd

EDIT: sorry it posted the same thing twice for some reason, and I can't find how to delete it.

Last edited by jonh_sabugs; 06-04-2012 at 10:07 PM.
jonh_sabugs is offline                         Send a private message to jonh_sabugs
Old 07-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Japo
Autonomous human

Quote:
my answer is usually: "use whatever your friends use."
http://norvig.com/21-days.html